Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!  (Read 16288 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!
« Reply #30 on: 20 Oct 2011, 14:02 »

-Book of Missions, 5:14, The Scriptures
Duh, so that is what 514 refers to. I have been paying too little attention.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 23 Dec 2011, 05:40 »

The Third EVE Novel - EVE: Templar One
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3357

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 05 Jan 2012, 00:53 »

Just finished tonight. So, review and big spoilers follow.

Review:
Enjoyable book, then again I enjoyed Empyrean Age if not as much, so ymmv. Lots of interesting PF, and lots of stuff that people way more intelligent then I will be able to pick apart. Like Empyrean age there are a few things that stick out in the text, at least we don't have to deal with Caldarian bullshit any more but instead we are stuck with the Joves instead of the Jove.
Crew of the Retford is back from Empyrean Age as important characters in various ways, coincidence stretching credulity to bring them back together again to affect the fate of the Empires. Still was fun read.

Spoilers follow, interpreted by my limited understanding of them, some of the stuff was hard for me to understand on the first read through. These aren't in any particular order, just writing them as I remember.

[spoiler]
1. CONCORD inner circle believe the Jove to be gone completely now. The Jovian disease has wiped them all out or something.
2. The sleeepers are a break off of the Jove sometime after the Second Empire Started and the Jovian disease first was entered. They are still alive, and indeed just asleep.
3. The Enhunnadi(or whatevers) are apparently not the bad guys. Or they are. I'm not quite sure on that. When the Jove first came to New Eden they were on 7 motherships and the worst off of the New Eden colonists. They were all plugged into the motherships matrix style in something called the Construct, while the Enhunnadi were the ship crew ordered to protect and help reintegrate the Jove into real life when the journey was over. The Architects designed the virtual construct the Jove were plugged into. If you want more, read the book, because its way to complicated to try to explain.
4. The OTHER that is sharing bodies with Jamyl is a sleeper intelligence that is the only of it's kind to be created purely digital, without an actual body and or soul. All other sleepers were supposedly actually born and then plugged in.
5. The broker is probably dead, but people are still searching for him.
6. The Khanid specialize in memory manipulation to the point of where they can remove memories but leave the skills or things learned intact.
7. Roden Shipyards was helped with Serpentis funding, but eventually he broke free of it before it became larger then a regional corporation.
8. Mordu is insane to one degree or another.
9. Roden has both Roden Shipyards and Fed intelligence competing against each other to a degree. Roden Shipyards seems to be better.
10. Sleepers have a 5th lobe bioenginered into their brain that allows with implants to do the quick cloning.
11. The Amarr under Jamyl raided a sleeper complex found a bunch of asleep sleepers, raided them and lobotomized the implants.
12. The dust soldier prototypes called Templars were bio engineered to have the 5th lobe and had the sleeper implant installed.
13. This somehow trapped the original sleeper in the soldier torturing the sleeper(which is what the other wanted) all the while gave the other power over them in some way.
14.  Jamyl never had telepathy in the magic sense, all in her and Falak's inner circle had a quantum entanglement device implanted against their knowledge, like the FTL comms, thus allowing her reading and broadcasting of certain thoughts.
15. CONCORD may have DUST style operatives before the Amarr did. Big question on this, they were termed THANATOS units and are used for black ops, or they may be something like the Broker.
16. Ishukone Watch, Mordu's Legion, and Roden are all working together to produce the first batch of Dust Soldiers that are retro engineered from sleeper tech, and do not use actual sleeper implants, which is something the Other did not want, as he can't control them. It is unknown whether future Amarr dust soldiers will be from that tech, or from sleeper implants directly.
17. The Minmatar elders apparently want to leave New Eden, and are apparently directing resources to the "Skymother" project instead of putting anything but the bare minimum to maintain the front against the Amarr.
18. While the capsuleer militia's do fight the majority of battles it seems that the Empire Navies do fight directly as well, and ground fighting between the Empires in low sec systems was common.
19. A major clash between the Empires just occurred in the Ammake system over Planet II, involving over 140 Amarr Empire ships(including a titan piloted by the Grand Admiral of the Amarr Navy) vs an unknown number of Minmatar ships(supported by a Hel), vs an unknown number of an alliance of convenience consisting of Gallente Federation(led by a Nyx piloted by an Admiral), Mordu's Legion(led by Mordu himself in a Wyvern) and Ishukone Watch(16 Wyverns, one being piloted by Mens Repolla). The end results and goals of this skirmish are being hushed hushed by Shakor and Roden. Heth apologized to the Amarr for Ishukone Watch firing on Amarr ships. Ishukone seems willing to go to civil war with Heth.

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #33 on: 05 Jan 2012, 01:05 »

Oh, and here are the links to the schematics in the book.
The ship stats give crew contingents for non capsuleer and capsuleer versions.

tor.com/evegate
tor.com/myrmidon
tor.com/drake
tor.com/sleeperimplant
tor.com/mk25
tor.com/wyvern

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #34 on: 05 Jan 2012, 05:38 »

Interesting.
-1-4 I'm not really to fussed about. The E word makes me twitch a little, but I'll reserve judgement till I've read the book.

From an in-world and for-the-sake of good literature everywhere, 5 can only be a good thing.

-Point 7 probably applies to all Gallente corporations to some degree, whether they know it or not. Certain people with vested interests are very good at making money off their competitors indirectly, even when they're thriving.

-8 and onwards seem like standard TonyG :awesome: plot points/devices. Again, will reserve further judgement until I've actually read the book.

Ninja Edit: Love the ship videos. Totally going to put that information into the wiki at some point.  :D
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012, 05:47 by Milo Caman »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 05 Jan 2012, 08:26 »

So me and CONCORD agree on something, good.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #36 on: 05 Jan 2012, 10:57 »

Without reading the book and working simply off recounted plot points by Vendrin above, and others? I am thoroughly unimpressed. :\

Yet more strictly-OOC knowledge that contributes to undermining the apparently validity of future IC efforts because it forces otherwise-innovative ideas to look derivative, yay. Stifling of constructing ideas about the storyline in an IC context that can produce world-building material to enrich "general" EVE RP, yay. Subsuming the point of Arek'jaalan by letting people know material that could have been the product of work on that project and magically creating a hundred characters with sudden, profound and mysteriously identical insights into topics; yay.

Some things are best revealed in-character, and some are much better being left to speculation and personal judgement. Revelation of intricate aspects of EVE's storyline through novels, cutting any non-godmoding character out of the matter entirely? Bleh.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 Jan 2012, 12:27 »

So, the Broker's dead?

Wonder if the guy working for Arek'Jaalan named Niques Saji Leutre has anything to do with that :F

(thx for spoilers, I freakin' LOVE spoilers!)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 05 Jan 2012, 12:49 »

I'm about 80 pages in....

Certainly better than E.A. so far but only by a hair.

What I keep wishing we were getting was more -grandness- to the whole thing.  More DUNE and less of what we are getting.

And I haven't gotten all that far yet, but it seems odd the Amarr would pick a Caldari to be their expensive test subject for amazing new technology and to be a holy warrior? Don't they have millions of elite and dedicated True-Amarr soldiers to choose the best of the best form? Or capsuleers who already have passed the most stringent genetic and physical testing?

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 05 Jan 2012, 13:04 »

Must not read spoilers  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jan 2012, 13:12 »

And I haven't gotten all that far yet, but it seems odd the Amarr would pick a Caldari to be their expensive test subject for amazing new technology and to be a holy warrior? Don't they have millions of elite and dedicated True-Amarr soldiers to choose the best of the best form? Or capsuleers who already have passed the most stringent genetic and physical testing?

So, I found out about this last night, and it served as a bit of an "early warning" that once again logic was going to be thrown under the bus for plot purposes.

I mean, the Amarr have successfully been breeding the Kamerias for how long, the Khanid have a whole culture of cyber-modification, and there are plenty of suitable capsuleer candidates out there... but the test subject is a random Caldari dude in an Amarrian prison, who gets picked

[spoiler]because the Empress chose him out of the blue.[/spoiler]

Yeah.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jan 2012, 13:28 »

So, I found out about this last night, and it served as a bit of an "early warning" that once again logic was going to be thrown under the bus for plot purposes.

I mean, the Amarr have successfully been breeding the Kamerias for how long, the Khanid have a whole culture of cyber-modification, and there are plenty of suitable capsuleer candidates out there... but the test subject is a random Caldari dude in an Amarrian prison, who gets picked

[spoiler]because the Empress chose him out of the blue.[/spoiler]

Yeah.

Well, we can't have the protagonist as a morally complicated individual.....He's got to be one of the good guys (non amarr) whose just been brainwashed to support the ebil empwess

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jan 2012, 14:01 »

Well, we can't have the protagonist as a morally complicated individual.....He's got to be one of the good guys (non amarr) whose just been brainwashed to support the ebil empwess
I think that would be beyond the writing abilities of Tony.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #43 on: 05 Jan 2012, 14:28 »

Well, let's not forget that, apparently, this is a book in which Jamyl could become an Amarrian Heir at 18, and Empress at 27, to go from the accounts of some people. Gerontocracy, what's that? Teenage Space Ninja Queen Empress is the new black.

Add in the fact that this is a society in which fifty-six  is considered an eyebrow-raisingly young age for any authority for added laughs. For bonus points? That fifty-six year old man was Jamyl Sarum's nephew. A-mazing!

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jan 2012, 14:36 »

EVE now has its own Jango Fett.

That was my reaction when  I heard that [spoiler]random Caldari dude Vince was chosen to be the genetic template of a new breed of super-soldiers.[/spoiler]  I'm hoping it's more nuanced than that, but feedback so far suggests otherwise.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012, 14:43 by Shaalira »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8