Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Author Topic: A pledge to grow the arr pee  (Read 3542 times)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
A pledge to grow the arr pee
« on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:29 »

This was originally a response to Morwen's post here. As I wrote it, I realized that I wasn't actually writing a response to her post, but a response to what I see as a problem in Eve RP in general.

This may get a little long. Feel free to skip it and go right to the second post in here, which is the meat of this thread.

Some time ago I left Eve and went to go play Lord of the Rings Online. I'm a huge Tolkien freak, so this was a reasonable thing for me to do. I played it for a while, got my character up to level 50 (which was the cap at the time), tried raids, got bored, and left. After a while, I came back to LOTRO, and realized that I didn't want to adventure in Middle Earth, I wanted to roleplay. I'd created my character on the unofficial US RP server, and had done some RP my first time in, but I noticed LOTRO had the same thing going on, RP-wise, that Eve did when I left: There was plenty of RP, but most of it was going on behind closed doors. And when there was some public RP happening, no one knew about it.

In a fit of uncharacteristic energy and drive, I created both a new channel and a website. The channel was modeled after an existing global channel for people looking for groups, and was called "LFRP" - Looking For RP. I promoted it pretty heavily, and it ended up being a good resource for people who wanted to find other people to RP with. The website was a GuildPortal website designed to mirror that channel. GuildPortal, for those of you who don't know, is a hosting company that does websites for MMO guilds. It's pretty heavily used in the LOTRO community, as it provides fairly easy-to-create websites that include all the basics you'd want: news feeds, forums, member lists, calendars, etc. It has an interesting feature where you could set up two guilds to be allies, and they would share things like calendar events. So I promoted this GuildPortal site I'd set up as a sort of common calendar. RP guilds would ally with it, and then their public events would show up on the calendar. It got to the point where you could go there and see an average of 5-6 public RP events every week, which isn't bad at all.

Over time, though, what I noticed is that people would interact OOCly in LFRP, and they'd get their social interaction fix that way. They'd interact in LFRP instead of actually using it to find RP where they could interact ICly. This is the same sort of thing I'm noticing here. We have all these OOC channels, and a ton of IC channels (mostly bars). There are a solid handful of IC channels which routinely have over twenty members in them. With the exclusion of The Summit, however, most of these channels don't actually see a lot of RP in them. However, OOC (and Red's, and the other OOC channels) routinely are quite active. I understand the desire to say "Hi" there, and all that, but it seems to be at the expense of actual IC interaction.

Lemme use an example. I don't want to single anyone out, but this is just one example that happened to stick in my mind. There was a new Minmatar RPer in OOC yesterday. Her character held the position that the Gallente Federation was holding the Republic back, and that it was a bad thing. This is a solid RP position, especially from a new RPer, and it would be interesting to actually RP around that position. Instead of RPing, though, she was talking about this position in the OOC channel. She could have had her character argue with (say) Seri about how the Gallente Federation is bad for the Republic. She could have presented that position as her character. Instead, she was talking about the position her character held. Instead of an IC "You Gallente bastards are keeping the Republic weak!", she was merely saying "well, my character believes..."

I'm certainly guilty of this as well. I've spent my fair share of time debating Shin's motivations in OOC, rather than interacting with people and playing those motivations. So, I'm going to take a pledge to change this...

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
Re: A pledge to grow the arr pee
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:32 »

A Pledge to Grow the Arr Pee

Because I think that RP is fun, and I think I'll have more fun with more IC interaction going on, I pledge to speak in-character at least as much as I speak out-of-character. I recognize that there are times when OOC interaction is better, and I recognize that it's always nice to have an OOC chat with someone. At the same time, I like roleplaying. It's why I'm here. And I'll take the trouble to try to encourage more of that.

-Signed-
Shin

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:36 »

Good one. I think I'll pledge to make more effort towards the Circle of Tribes thingy. I've been planning to do that anyway.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:10 »

Back in my old EM days, we used to remind each other regularly, "TCBIC" ("this could be IC") in our OOC channel. I assume that still happens. :)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:36 »

Back in my old EM days, we used to remind each other regularly, "TCBIC" ("this could be IC") in our OOC channel. I assume that still happens. :)

Yes, yes it does.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:47 »

Yes, yes it does.

Confirming I have a message in my evemail inbox from Ulf with "TCBIC" in the subject header, dated about 4 days ago. :P

I generally try to do as much stuff IC as possible when time allows. Unfortunately I'm also expected to undock and shoot things, so I have to take that into account as well. ;)

But I'm down for this.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jev North

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:49 »

Signed.

In my NWN days, I could log in, maybe toss a hey-how-are-ya tell or two around, and spend the next four hours not uttering a single word out of character. EVE has a few more practicalities to consider, but I am going to be trying my damnedest to hammer out more proper roleplay in the time I've got.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:25 »

Unfortunately I'm also expected to undock and shoot things, so I have to take that into account as well. ;)

Well, I don't know about you, but I always consider Barrage ammo to be IC communications...  :D

Jev North

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:29 »

Ah, communication via explosive ordnance. Has its limitations, mostly the fact that the entire vocabulary consists of the word "DIE".. but makes up for it with volume.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:59 »

Well, I generally almost only RP with external entities (im am not on a lot of ooc channels). But signed anyway.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2011, 20:46 »

this has been something I've been wanting to push forward both specifically with my corp, and with RP in general, for a while, and I'm really glad Shin has taken the stand to do this, because I really wasn't getting anywhere with it. But its a great pledge, and I heartily support it.

Madame, you have my sword
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2011, 04:00 »

Shin, I'd like to talk to you about this ingame. If you want double-extra-credit-metapoints, we could try to talk about it in-character, but I may end up breaking someone's brain with the disgusting comfort I have with that.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2011, 09:28 »

A vote for Shin is a vote for Arr pee!

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2011, 09:54 »

The simple solution is to stay out of OOC RP channels...

-Punx

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:27 »

The simple solution is to stay out of OOC RP channels...

QFE. Not that I do so religiously, but I try to keep my entry into them highly constrained, at any rate.