Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char once gave Kaleigh Doyle a lamb as a pet?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Your opinions on the appropriateness of this gesture, please.  (Read 15265 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

It's quite simple to IC ban someone from a 'physical' location.
* Mizhara instructs the Horned Masquerade security to bar certain people from entry.
* Mizhara adds capsuleer callsign Whatshisface to the VR section's blocklist.
* Mizhara does all kinds of things IC.

A ban isn't an inherent OoC action. Quite the contrary, I consider almost every single thing you can do in this game as inherently IC until it's used in a clearly OoC manner. Anyway, tired now, I'll browse the rest of the replies later for further debate. (Later being tomorrow at some point.)

Lyn Farel

Well anyway, Sansha capsuleers played by the players are not really "True Sansha", they are sympathizers, right ? Or maybe I am wrong. But if I am right, this changes everything. They can sylmpathize, or even help, but they are not from the big personnal army of ebil Kuvakei.

Would David Cameron be welcome at a party held in Tripoli by Colonel Gadaffi?

Would the two of them laugh and joke while enjoying cocktails?

Sarkozy had several (hot) meetings with Kadaffi before the latter went mad. Though I have to admit now, I don't think he would anymore...

Anyway, counter example : the olympic games when the cold war was still active.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain

So, back to my original points. Bans are OOC behavior. Therefore, if you ban someone simply for being loyal to [x in-game faction], you've made an OOC affront against that person, and expressed a personal distaste for their RP of choice.

I disagree. I've banned people from IC bars for IC reasons, with the IC-justification of  "The bouncers have been instructed not to let you in." - Even for people I quite like OOC.

RP should have consequences. The only consequence that matters outside of having your stuff exploded is the limitation on who will talk to you.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Lyn Farel

Well technically you can IC ban someone without removing him from the channel. Then if he comes back, breaking the RP, he can be banned OOC.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

You're a tool if you ban someone from an IC channel?

The event referenced by the OP was a channel being used to simulate interaction at a physical place. Banning there would reflect the IC security arrangements for the venue. Nothing more.

IC communication channels have access governed by the purpose of the channel. Electus Matri's public channel quite often has a few hostiles in it. But as long as they don't make a nuisance of themselves they are left alone. It is, after all, meant to serve as a point of contact, for anyone. Not just the people we like IC.

Now how, exactly, is someone out of order for refusing to make nice with their enemies?

IC I'm not overly fond of Mizhara. In point of fact the only thing that stops me actively trying to kill her is that she is in a organisation that is blue to EM, and so I am bound by our ROE. OOC I have no problems with her player ((if you want to develop this BTW drop me a PM and we'll talk it over OOC)).

IC I hate, loathe and depsise Sansha loyalists. More than I dislike Imperials in fact. OOC I have zero issues with players of either sort. Any IC interaction with oponents is likely to be severely constrained by the fact that they are opponents. For one thing I'd be constantly considering what I am saying and trying not to let slip anything useful to them.

How is exclusing such people from certain channels objectionable?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

Some points I felt like responding to:

I. This wasn't really intended to get as personal as it seems to have gotten, but may serve as a lesson on first instincts being good ones.

Seriphyn was mainly indicated in the original post because without proper indication of the speaker being the same as the author of the relevant IGS thread the context would not have been clear.

II. Breaks in immersion of the sort described above are a product of improper expectations of the environment.

The setting we share is for various reasons quite supportive of using player behavior to define the behavior of one of its elements: capsuleers act as players make them act.

Capsuleers often switch sides, and this can mean (and has meant) joining a group of former enemies because of being approached by them socially.

This isn't a bad way to reflect their capacity to be more affected by social pressures/ideas/memes than threats of death, which has been a long-running thread in the fabric of the setting.

I don't find people's face-value responses to this to jive well with their actions. Miz, we had us a chat about your character not long ago and the directions it may take in light of your distaste for certain circumstances which was reflective of this view (and please don't reconsider the decisions you seem to have made just because it would make me wrong :P).

Ulph seems to have rejected a situation as restrictive of his escapism or jarring or something and then immediately pointed out a perfectly plausible manner in which it might come to pass in the same breath. I suppose I will let that speak for itself.

Lyn's comment on Sansha affiliates being on either side of the line is also interesting. They're mostly capsuleers, but why would being a current faction supporter make a given individual a permanent supporter of a given faction? Because strong loyalties do not shift? Tell that to Wernher von Braun - the guy signed a pretty serious pledge to a certain Godwin-law-invoking figure long before he built rockets for NASA.

III. The setting is only as unrealistic as the player's capacity to make sense of it makes it.

This is mostly the same point as above. Degrees of accomplished realism in art are often judged by the response of the viewer, but here we are given the paintbrush. The setting has always been re-framed and reinterpreted by large groups of players.

As for comparisons to world leaders and tyrants in North Africa, if your analogies are poorly chosen, their utility will suffer.

IV. If a player seeks isolation over interaction because of low expectations, this is sad rather than realistic.

Lookin' at a certain Highlander guy here. Whoever convinced you that you shouldn't find ways to make more sensible or interesting interaction occur may have served only to impede you in drawing enjoyment from the game.

V. Character goals and motivations are a reflection of player goals and motivations; characters are tools to achieve ends as well as to create entertainment.

This is often overlooked in this community because of years spent munching on the red herring of OOC/IC separation.

People have no good reason not to understand the ramifications of a given action, excepting inexperience. Going through with it in the name of authenticity to character can only be answered by reminding them that characters can change.

The player of a character whose behavior over a period of time serves only to draw negative responses from others on a player level has little excuse for such choices save enjoyment. If you don't enjoy drawing negative player responses, choose to act differently.

"IC it's a clusterf***, OOC it's an excuse for good RP." - I would suggest that while the actions taken served to catalyze some interaction, the amount or quality of roleplay had between the various involved parties was not impacted in a significant fashion, let alone noteworthy for the quantity or quality shown.

VI. Political relations do not inherently lead to a lack of dialogue; political relations consist entirely of dialogue.

"There are any number of fantastic RP channels, groups, etc that I simply cannot interact with very much IC due to years of political associations. That is unfortunate for me, but this is how it works. If we don't respect those decisions and give them the proper weight and consequences, it looks incredibly silly."

This would make more sense in a given situation wherein one had had a breakdown of relations with every single member of a given faction or group.

It doesn't hold much water to claim that everyone on a given side of some line in the sand will share the same mindset. I find it often reduces something with great potential down to its most simplistic parts when people hold such positions, and I've not found Silas - or many others who claim otherwise - to hold the position in question interpersonally.

Frankly, I'm confused why people advance it.

VII. Intra-faction relations and complexity are only limited by the creativity of those participating in them, as we all know.

"The Amarrian block has recently demonstrated that there's quite a lot of potential conflict within their single faction; it looks quite a lot of fun." Thanks for underscoring this and for the praise, Ulph, I'm sure it's appreciated by the parties involved.

This is how it's been and how it's done, really, though it often happens behind the scenes. IntRA-faction conflict is there for the picking whenever anyone seeks to engage in it, including intra-subfaction or intra-bloodline conflicts.

There's certainly no requirement for any given party to engage in it in order to reach any great height - there's lots of ways to shine and inspire others if that's what one seeks - but if you can't tap into this whenever you want to because you can't detect its existence, you're missing something.

VIII. Assumptions as to the capacity of given individuals might need to be done away with.

"It's quite simple to IC ban someone from a 'physical' location." These things work both ways. Certainly one can bar a given player from entering an establishment mechanically, but in the case of individuals you're on decent terms with and trust not to make a hash of things, what if they actually seek to challenge their status as an outlaw? Why couldn't they overcome posted guards or security systems?

The reason we don't do these things is because of respect for other players; if one feels this respect is reciprocated, why not extend the offer to change the status quo?

IX. The form and meaning of consequence is not fixed.

"RP should have consequences. The only consequence that matters outside of having your stuff exploded is the limitation on who will talk to you."

Really? So a consequence to going somewhere you're not wanted, perhaps a place filled with those bitterly opposed to you, wouldn't end up with you getting assaulted? That's also a consequence - more generally, the change in the sort of interaction one gets in future is a consequence of choosing to peruse certain postures and actions, whereas one could easily make the case that getting a player to ignore you on a given character is as much a player-level consequence as it is anything else.

We tend to limit the nature of our consequential roleplay along mechanical lines too much, I feel. We could stand to take a lesson from freeform roleplayers there.

"Banning there would reflect the IC security arrangements for the venue. Nothing more."

I feel you're too familiar with the behavior of individuals that wouldn't make confrontations outside of combat satisfying if you've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do with a party one's ideologically opposed to is to bar them from all communications in any given venue. Which brings us along to this:

X. The availability of a given group or person for interaction need not be rigidly defined by in-character conditions if out of character creativity is brought to bear.

"IC I hate, loathe and depsise Sansha loyalists. More than I dislike Imperials in fact. OOC I have zero issues with players of either sort. Any IC interaction with oponents is likely to be severely constrained by the fact that they are opponents. For one thing I'd be constantly considering what I am saying and trying not to let slip anything useful to them."

Then you're not taking advantage of the opportunities presented to interact with people you have no problem with in a productive fashion, or you just aren't interested in the sort of roleplay you might have with a group of people you'd need to be cagey around. It's not for everyone.

If you 'have no problem with' the people involved - they're swell guys - then what gives? I suppose one could run headlong into Dunbar's Number or the limits of one's willingness to be extroverted or something.

I can assure you I've drawn enormous satisfaction from figuring out new things to do with characters that wouldn't be well positioned to explore more familiar avenues of interaction.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 01:58 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

Sarkozy had several (hot) meetings with Kadaffi before the latter went mad. Though I have to admit now, I don't think he would anymore...

I distinctly recall many Western countries boycotting the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, and the Warsaw Pact countries boycotting the 1984 Los Angeles games.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

I think the main discussion here is about:

• the pros and cons of social or diplomatic contact with your adversaries
  • whether inconsistencies in such matters (which I might shorthand as "hypocrisy") constitute a terrible sin (or not), and
  • how socially acceptable it is to point out apparent inconsistencies.

On all three points I think it's going to vary.

I think it's legitimate and appropriate to have some venues which are limited to the people who share some common interest, allegiance or programme of work. There are some things that you want to do and discuss among "friends". I think it's appropriate that there are inner workings and social interactions of Amarrian groups that I know nothing about, for instance.

I think it's desirable to have some venues which are open to all or nearly-all. There are venues where people do mix across lines of interest and faction, and it's normal and understandable that people are sometimes surprised about the permutations of people who talk. That can lead to interesting RP... and can also lead to people being/playing puzzled, uncomfortable or dismayed. We've had the occasional person horrified that we have reds in "Pubic - EM" and are therefore consorting with the enemy, I think because they'd expected a place of refuge. One of that channel's roles, though, is diplomatic contact, so it's open to people who might need diplomatic contact (you might get booted for being a jerk, though). That doesn't necessarily make it a cosy space to chat, but there are other places for that.

From the other side of things, Ulf stopped going to The Last Gate because hanging out with pirates and slavers wasn't working for him. That's fine, and highly consistent for him. Contrast that with the presence of a number of high-ranking EM women on The Last Gate's VIP guest list and you get some interesting questions simmering away. Semi-regularly we dust off the usual tropes and contentions about what our people who do go there are doing there. Is this hypocrisy? Diplomacy? Just the way things are because the people involved want them that way and Veto. wasn't always red to us, darnit? Just as there are "The Pure" who fly only Matari hulls and "The Wise" who use whatever tool seems best for the job, some of us will focus more on "our people" and some will focus more on "making contacts outside our people". It's a common source of solid dramatic conflict within a group.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned

There's a couple things to say at this point, I suppose.

- The point Borza's making has been pretty well-established. We've had player groups with plenty of reason to use certain elements of present-day world culture (for example, Latin and Greek words, Abrahamic religious paraphernalia, various Imperial elements from every great Empire in the West and several in the East, and more for the Amarrians, and that's just the one faction) that were mostly avoided largely because ASIDE from the time gap and the use of them as stand-ins at best, the point we all recognized was that the cultures of New Eden were human cultures.

Any of them have equal claim to any given element of present-day human culture, history, or society. Don't squirm about trying to frame an argument for how this isn't right or whatnot, not everything has to be restricted to some group or labeled as Nefantari this and Achur that and oh, this school of rationalism is from that bunch of people in Feythabolis the Angels ate up.

- The addition that occurs to me to be made to what Mata's brought to the table is simply that there should be very few reasons for any given group that wants to hold a truly public event to be looked down on for doing so in whatever venue they choose.

People can perhaps protest the guest list or the level of safety or whatever else, but it's not going to hold much water in the end. Capsuleer society has taken on enough insular qualities that it's likely enough that the chance to see one's peers will be appreciated in-character by all but the extremely reclusive. Out of character, no defense is necessary.

As a brief aside, I wonder what the ratio of extracorporate or extra-alliance friends to ones inside one's organization might be like for a given member of certain groups including Veto, IPI, EM, CVA, and former VV corps or the present Khanid alliance.

I've been lead to believe that for some of the groups listed above, the relationship between the strength of organizational culture and the number of known outsiders is an inversely proportional one. Some insight from their members would be refreshing.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 06:41 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Lyn Farel

EDIT : honestly the apparent will of some players to impose their RP on ours using excuses like it breaks their immersion, well, I am sad to hear it. Just please know that we have thought a lot about it before bringing it up. We have looked at the pros and the cons. And we believe we have found  well... believable excuses to explain our open policies.

Currently in KotMC we already are having some of our RP player base agitating because they are feeling "oppressed" for dubious immersive reasons. Quoting one of the internal reactions :

As conservative as I play xxxx and as much as the character agrees with probably 70% of the crap said against us. I do have a big problem with people imposing their style of play on others. I pay just as much for a subscription as they do (probably more since I dont trade plex)

A big issue with this "You didn't arrest those badguys!" arguement is that we don't have the authority to. We're still capsuleers, we're bound by Concord's rules. We have no more right to throw all of the pirates into the keep dungeon than RSS has the right to arrest us and seize our ship if we docked in Pator...

We, and all of the other loyalists, are capsuleer organisations, and not branches of any of the empire's legitimate government. Even PIE who have had more of their fair share of public spotlight in past storylines, are nothing more than pawns in the hands of the actual policymakers of EVE. The devs and their NPCs.

I distinctly recall many Western countries boycotting the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, and the Warsaw Pact countries boycotting the 1984 Los Angeles games.

And yet, only some of them, not all in the first case.

Anyway yes, I don't think the analogy works wel for the same reasons Ashar stated above : we are capsuleers, and not amarrian official entities of any sort.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 06:43 by Lyn Farel »

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

EDIT : honestly the apparent will of some players to impose their RP on ours using excuses like it breaks their immersion, well, I am sad to hear it. Just please know that we have thought a lot about it before bringing it up. We have looked at the pros and the cons. And we believe we have found  well... believable excuses to explain our open policies.

Currently in KotMC we already are having some of our RP player base agitating because they are feeling "oppressed" for dubious immersive reasons. Quoting one of the internal reactions :

As conservative as I play xxxx and as much as the character agrees with probably 70% of the crap said against us. I do have a big problem with people imposing their style of play on others. I pay just as much for a subscription as they do (probably more since I dont trade plex)

A big issue with this "You didn't arrest those badguys!" arguement is that we don't have the authority to. We're still capsuleers, we're bound by Concord's rules. We have no more right to throw all of the pirates into the keep dungeon than RSS has the right to arrest us and seize our ship if we docked in Pator...

I think that stations are governed by CONCORD laws which require free passage for capsuleers (I guess it's not unlike diplomatic immunity), so arresting people isn't a practical solution, and wouldn't be very satisfying RP for the poor buggers who had to spend a few years in a cell anyway!

But it doesn't follow that some who can't be arrested would be welcomed with open arms where ever they went.

We, and all of the other loyalists, are capsuleer organisations, and not branches of any of the empire's legitimate government. Even PIE who have had more of their fair share of public spotlight in past storylines, are nothing more than pawns in the hands of the actual policymakers of EVE. The devs and their NPCs.

And yet, only some of them, not all in the first case.

Anyway yes, I don't think the analogy works wel for the same reasons Ashar stated above : we are capsuleers, and not amarrian official entities of any sort.

It was a pretty big boycott - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Summer_Olympics_boycott

Also it could be argued that as members of the militia KotMC and PIE are at least as much official entities as an Olympic team.  

Some athletes went to Moscow against their government's wishes, and IIRC were accused of being unpatriotic as a result.  That's not unlike what's happened here.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 07:59 by Rodj Blake »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

[mod]Please review the FAQ and Rules. I've left this unlocked because it seems like people are getting some useful discussion out of it, but next time it will be locked, and while the current set of moderation is being discussed, now that there has twice been moderator action, any future breaches are very likely to result in formal warnings.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 09:53 by Silver Night »

Lyn Farel

Oh, I am not accusing PIE of anything. You play your part as expected and it is nice.

I was more pointing out the immersive excuses stated above in this thread. I was also pointing out some of the things that were brought up on the IGS, telling us to arrest the hostiles, etc. In the latter case, that's ok because it is IC and we can argue IC against that.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain

- The addition that occurs to me to be made to what Mata's brought to the table is simply that there should be very few reasons for any given group that wants to hold a truly public event to be looked down on for doing so in whatever venue they choose.

That does rather seem to be assuming your conclusion there Ashar.

I think there can be many IC reasons to criticise a "truely open" event. Some of them were used for the KotMC event. Some people will think they're valid IC, and others won't. Some people will think they're valid OOC and others won't.

Telling people that there "should be" few reasons for criticism does rather come across as trying to tell people how they should be RPing.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

And as a continuation of Ulf's post, if it's a viable argument to say 'there should be very few reasons for a group holding a truly open event to be looked down upon, it's an equally viable argument to say 'there are a plethora of reasons to look down upon someone holding a truly open event'. There's just as much to support that side of things as the other.

Having read all of this a few times now, I've come to the conclusion that I've pretty much learned nothing new and seen very little to change my views on the matter. The largest apparent reason for these inclusions of mortal enemies in huggly cuddly RP seems to be convenience and metagaming, as far as I can tell at least. There's no real consequences for choosing to align yourself with factions that are fairly universally reviled and no real support in the community for having to contend with the repercussions of such choices.

It's all a bit disappointing, ultimately, as for me at least it's immersion breaking to a rather large degree. Of course, this is my own problem and not something the community at large has any reason to care about, but it's lowering the desire to even bother much.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6