Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms  (Read 15296 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms
« Reply #30 on: 01 Feb 2011, 03:08 »

Aria has:

Unusual eye color (hematite silver-black; happily doesn't actually seem all that uncommon on Achura)

Unusual physique (teeny-tiny, bird-like)

Unusual complexion (pale and tragic! [less now, with the new character creator])

Tragic family background (domestic violence leading to murder, orphan, resentful extended family)

An unhappy childhood (see above)

Formal training in an East Asian-inspired religion/philosophy

Formal training in a martial art

Formal training in a romantic weapon (long knife)

Taken a horrible revenge on those who (she feels) mistreated her

A lifetime supply of semi-suppressed angst

Become a PIRATE!

Social jutzpah (read, "sharp-tongued, callous bluntness," if you like).

... In spite of all of which, I still think she's too complicated, conflicted, and flawed to actually be a Sue (the Mary Sue test of late seems to agree). She's definitely not an anti-Sue, in any event.

Edit:

Also, a mixed racial background-- half Civire, half Achura.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2011, 18:11 by Aria Jenneth »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 06 Feb 2011, 18:56 »

Only one I can come up with from Lallara is the fact that she has pure Faith.

I've noticed that life is easier for people with that capability.

Life is harder when you know that all gods are just fiction.

The realization that nobody has yet been able to invent a god who actually deserves to be worshiped makes disbelief in their existence a whole lot more comfortable, to be honest.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Anskek

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2015, 13:56 »

Anslo is a walking science experiment gone wrong with all sorts of madness, weird skin condition, eye condition, long hair (to whip back and forth), edge, and a guitar.

Ya'll got nothin' on me.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2015, 14:10 »

The necro is strong with you lately, Sir.

Anskek

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2015, 14:14 »

Well I see these interesting threads that are hella old and would likely spawn a lot of conversation with VERY different answers than their older contemporaries. I dunno, I'm sorta hoping people see a contrast? What the community was and what it is now? I mean could you imagine the back room grr poster rage if someone made this thread, now, as an original versus a necro? Maybe people will stop and notice things more this way (mostly cause I'm really bad at putting together in words everything I think is wrong. So, actions versus words).

W-W-W-W-WAKE UP CAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2015, 19:35 »

Elmund has blood of millions of innocents and grease of a hundred machines on his hands. He shrugs and carries on shooting/fixing shite.

He has a crippling caffeine addiction and an obsession towards his spaceship.

He goes insane if left in a station for two long.

He does things because it's interesting.

His life motto is 'Everything sucks, carry on'. He does the 'carry on' with alot of snark and live ammunition.

Acts like a geezer once in a while and reminiscent on his days in the RMS and in the Clan Enclave. Takes long walks on city streets, annoying baristas everywhere.

Lives in a room-turned-scrapyard. Sleeps in a room-turned-scrapyard. Half the scraps are mines. Especially the kitchen implements.

Has a grudge towards the CQ door. Tried everything to open it. Rewiring, cutting, hacking, demo charges, detonating 150mm Fusion rounds on it, nothing worked. Now exits CQ via vents. Swore someone in the cluster had something against him since every station he visited had the same problem. Wears tinfoil whenever the CQ door issue is brought up.

Makes guns out of scraps. Trained to beat someone to death with close quarter combat skills due to military training. Favors shotguns and drones for personal defense. If all else fails, hit the offender to death with the largest spanner he can find and/or a screwdriver.

I felt he is in the wrong universe.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2015, 20:08 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2015, 10:00 »

I approve of necromancy. It is a skill and art.

Saede is...kind of a walking nest of well pruned mary-sueisms. I keep her pretty decently well balanced, but still.

She's a multiple, she has 8 active clones, violating concord law.

Mixed race Brutor and Sebiestor

All of her clones are cyborgs, some very basic, others very elaborate and replacing most of her body. She has:
*A 'toy' clone featuring an entirely synthetic body with all sorts of tools and hidden compartments.
*A 'military' clone featuring a mix of upgraded organics and cybernetics. Designed to be incredibly strong with internally mounted weaponry.
*A 'pod' clone that never leaves the pod and is probably something akin to a brain in a jar with limbs degenerated to the point of uselessness.
*5 'flesh' clones, designed to go into semi-dangerous situations where if the clone dies its not too expensive to replace.

tragic backstory featuring fiancée from her hometown getting gunned down during riot control actions, and extreme childhood/teenage poverty forcing her to act as a drug dealer and prostitute to survive for a while. Took revenge on the security officer who ordered the riot control teams to fire on the group.

Weird eye colour (gold/amber) dunno if this is weird from the perspective of the minmatar, but its a pretty uncommon colour irl.

Saede's not an outright Mary Sue though I think, she's not perfect, she's got quite a bit of baggage and self doubt, she's not a badass warrior monk or anything like that, she's never received any formal military or martial arts training and relies on her toys to make up for her lack of skill.

And then there's the quasi-mary-sue-isms associated with Origin itself. Its almost a borderline Mary Sue society compared to the rest of New Eden (much less so compared to say, Star Trek, but EVE is such grimdark). Everyone has clone backups, there's little crime, there's no poverty, its effectively a post-scarcity society in many respects, albeit one somewhat artificially propped up by the capsuleers.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2015, 12:58 »

Aedre is the first character I specifically had plans to RP with from the beginning. Also the first I seriously wanted to play the game with, as opposed to wandering about listlessly (I've been poking the game since 2006, off and on again) I thought I'd want to get into it eventually, and that took longer than expected because lore, and RL.  :psyccp: Somehow it's been two years.

Aedre's composition in a lot of ways reflects my skill level in EVE, there's something avatar-like about him, which is maybe the opposite of Mary-sue - He kind of sucks, and so do I. It grated on me tremendously to have a sort of tough-looking guy and just be bad. Why not make someone sort of naive instead?

I sure as heck don't have to live up to anything on a KM looking like this. So he's self-depreciating too. He considers himself to be normal-looking, but Capsuleers are so intimidating generally speaking, that to compete seems kind of ridiculous. Being new to something everyone else is already good at - or, already looks like they are anyway - has sort of become a persistent character trait.  Aedre and I will probably be kicking ass before he'd be willing assert himself with other capsuleers.

As for the wish fulfillment aspects?  Doesn't everyone want to be sort of average and handsome with planetside bank? Sounds like you can't go wrong with that really. But I guess that's a safe answer.

Being from Caille itself might seem like specialness-fishing, but the point was to be from a privileged city, so why not the believable extreme? There's also a little bit more written about the place than other places of similar level. I had two years to really put a tack into where exactly Aedre's from, an I chose Caille pretty carefully, I think.

The world of EVE is shitty for most, but perfectly clean and futuristic for some. I wanted to see the perspective of someone who hasn't had to drag themselves through EVE's various hells. It's not an interesting backstory, but it probably ends up being uncommon - having a spread is good for RP. Aedre left because he cares about stuff, but EVEhell is pretty difficult to leap into feet first if you haven't been tempered by it.

There's definitely some elements of my experience I thread in to my vision of Caille (and how it's affected Aedre) and the privileged section of the Federation. I liked Caille, because it was older - Our city is also one of the older ones in North America, so there's some feels-parallels there, too, pride and such, the source of culture be that true at all or not, that kind of thing. We're named a culture capital, but whose? Ourselves. We're an island city sitting in a province we don't identify with sitting in a country we don't identify with, sitting one hours' north of bananas America. The idea that we even could understand anything of our neighbors' experiences is pretty silly and often proves to be insulting. Caille doesn't represent anyone either realistically, despite being the birthplace of the whole thing. The 'city state' that is really only interested in itself lends itself to 'writing what you know'.

I also think now that Capsuleers have been around for a decade, the idea that you could have grown up with the fact of them pretty interesting. He hangs onto the baseliner image that Capsuleers are terrifying to some degree, all of them, and that they can't be trusted. This mostly explains his absence up to this point, so that has an emphasis because OOC, but he is starting to realize that's unsustainable realistically and that he really should be mingling for sanity's sake.

There's where he's starting from, anyway. I have no idea where he'll go from here. That'll be up to his interactions over time. I think it's open more or less. Will he grow more jaded? Less nervous? More so? Interactions are the only way he's going to move, now. Looking forward to it.
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2015, 13:31 »

Ok, so copy/pasta RL: Guilty for a large part, especially during creation. I mostly did this to have a somewhat mundane char background, in order to prevent what I thought was mary-sue-ism, but the joke is on me I guess.
But...many of Ché characteristics that may seem mary-sue-ish are actually also things that I am/do/have in real life.
Wish fullfilment: I guess I'd like to explore space, help and save people and be ridiculously rich, but I am very glad that the darker chapters in Ché's life did not happen to me.

I guess I'll end with a list of Ché's possible Mary-Sue-isms that I can think of at this time:
- Generally wears distressed clothing, and nearly always black
- Is very forgiving, non-judgemental, and can even form unlikely friendships or romantic relations with "bad people".
- Has some philosophies that are in sharp contrast with the setting.
- Is reasonably skilled at singing and playing instruments.
- Has scars that don't make him look ugly.
- Has a wife that allows him to sleep with others.
-OOChé

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2015, 14:30 »

Kala literally grew up on a farm.

Watch out every fantasy novel ever, I'm coming for you!

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2015, 14:33 »

Playing a character that could be described as a Dandere, perhaps. Which obviously comes from the initial archetype on which was based the character concept : the fugitive naive princess discovering the world.

It may also be a self projection of some of my asocial traits, but not that much. Probably the closest character to myself that I have played so far though, since most of the others I play are usually rather opposites.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:39 »

Silas' slightly Mary Sue "Aristocratic special lady" background has more to do with being taken out of Amarr central casting and my early noob take on the race than anything else.  Had very little knowledge about the Amarr PF when I was new so it was an easy place to start (as you may notice many of the older True Amarr RPers are cut from a similar cloth). She was originally just True Amarr special lady but as I started RP she was re-written as Khanid Kingdom True Amarr special Lady; many of which have a particular chip on their shoulder with relations to Imperial True Amarr. 

This was back in 2006 when Khanid Kingdom / Empire were in still in centuries long cold war / not reconciliation mode.

I thought the Khanid Kingdom gave a great opportunity for a more interesting spin on True Amarr aristocratic background. Imagine being the descendants of the True Amarr families that gambled and sided with Khanid II during the civil war and left the Empire? They probably thought they'd win, and be right back on Athra in a few generations, not 'exiled' to the relatively backwater (by Amarr standards) Kingdom for 500 years.

As I planned to be a PVPer I gave her a military background and appropriately Mary Sue Navy career, which thankfully I backed up shooting something like 99% on the killboard for pvp and doing the pew pew FC thing for years. 

So although I suppose she's guilty of a somewhat Mary Sue background, I think it's a case of working for it and growing into an eventual game resumé and RP that eventually supported those sorts of outlandish claims.  [pew pew all the things, "space rich", commanding lots of pew pew people, being space popular (whatever that means)]. 

As far as real life injection into the character thankfully very, very little of the petty, shallow, space-racist, insanity sorts of behaviors are shared with me.

I'm pretty affable IRL and I do lots of event hosting and socializing with large groups of people so I think that leaked through a bit.   Interesting topic though!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:49 »

Is being a commander with lots of soldiers so Mary Sue when you actually gave yourself the means to achieve it concretely ?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jan 2015, 17:00 »

Is being a commander with lots of soldiers so Mary Sue when you actually gave yourself the means to achieve it concretely ?

I think it's a bit Mary Sue to start with that sort of special background, I'm not sure I'd roll a new character with such a background now.  Or if I did I would much more place emphasis on the baseliner special person background meaning very little to other capsuleers and it giving them zero capsuleer reputation.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2015, 17:12 by Silas Vitalia »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2015, 20:49 »

I think it's a bit Mary Sue to start with that sort of special background, I'm not sure I'd roll a new character with such a background now.  Or if I did I would much more place emphasis on the baseliner special person background meaning very little to other capsuleers and it giving them zero capsuleer reputation.

Yeah this. Like, JFR claiming to have a small private baseliner army? That's pretty reasonable. Having Newplayer 287 claim at day 2 out of the Science and Trade school that they have a private baseliner army is a bit more out there.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5