Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms  (Read 15293 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms
« on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:54 »

Come on, we all know we accuse each other of this behind each other's backs with others...so why not we come out to admit publically the elements we are aware are "Mary Sue"-esque or Peter Pan-esque. Failing that, have a think about what elements are, and post them up...

For example, your character being a direct copy paste of yourself, or having a 10 inch dong when you've got a 4. Lol. Or being impossibly nice in every single situation with unflinching emotion.

I'll start...

- Anette is one. She isn't a Mary Sue per se, but my character having a young, beautiful and blue-eyed daughter is. Her existence is wish fulfillment in that regard, though their exact relationship and interaction I distance from myself, and attempt to make it as distinct as possible (rough 'n' tough dad versus elegant, well-spoken daughter)

- The look of Rhea. Busty, voluptous, red hair, full lipped, blue eyed? Yes please...

- Seriphyn's self-consciousness and timidity in the presence of certain women. Sometimes getting teased or flirted with, he does not react with a self-confident or cocky manner, instead sometimes he ends up blushing or otherwise going meek/sheepish. That said, this area of RP (romance, sex etc.) is the most susceptible to being a direct RL->RP copy+paste from my experience, as most other areas of him are different.

Phoneticizing an accent goes a LONG way to separating yourself from your character....for example.

Me (OOC) - "yeah dunno tbh. i think we'll see"

Seriphyn (IC) - "Yea', don't 'ave a fuckin' clue to be 'onest with you. Guess we'll just 'ave to wait and see, I s'pose"

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
Re: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:09 »

Phoneticizing an accent goes a LONG way to separating yourself from your character....for example.

Seriphyn (IC) - "Yea', don't 'ave a fuckin' clue to be 'onest with you. Guess we'll just 'ave to wait and see, I s'pose"

Oh lawdy please save us from the fake written accents.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:01 »

Didn't we have a thread like this already? :O
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:08 »

Oh lawdy please save us from the fake written accents.
Amen, brother! Let us pray.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:32 »

Only one I can come up with from Lallara is the fact that she has pure Faith.

I've noticed that life is easier for people with that capability.

Life is harder when you know that all gods are just fiction.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:41 »

I'm going to go off topic here, because I cannot STAND Seriphyn's abbreviations and lack of letters. No offense to you personally, but I think of some lumberjack from Warcraft.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2011, 13:06 »

My character.

All of it.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2011, 13:17 »

I'm going to go off topic here, because I cannot STAND Seriphyn's abbreviations and lack of letters. No offense to you personally, but I think of some lumberjack from Warcraft.

Zug zug!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2011, 13:59 »

I'm pretty sure Ghost's cybernetic extremes qualify in some capacity.

Not sure his absurd old age counts, although Screwie called me a special snowflake
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:21 »

For Inara, it's her ZOMG security. Easier to walk into the White House bedrooms in the middle of the day, unharassed, than to get onto any of Inara's estates if you don't have clearance. And having a personal 'honor guard' that ghosts your every movement... She's Properly Paranoid, but is also Crazy Prepared and a touch of Well-Intentioned Extremist. Oh, and she's a Family Values Villain for the most part (Family is very important *nodnod*).

For one of my others that I commonly RP on, sees themselves as a Necessary Evil for religious reasons.

I'm sure others could be applied, but these are the main ones that stick out off the top of my head.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2011, 13:29 »

If I had to lay out three points in my/Esna's RP that could seem sue-ish...

I'd that Esna's staff is one (he has a lot of highly skilled people working for him, and will send these people to watch, track, and occasionally attack other people and locations).

Two would be Esna's cybernetics - while none of them are refuted by PF; he does have fairly extensive enhancements, some of which could seem sue-ish in use.

Three is that I don't shy away from including or using the kind of hardware - including military hardware - that a fantastically rich person (with Amarrian military contacts at that) could get his hands on.

Overall, I try to moderate the effects of these by saving them for "critical situations" and not slapping them in peoples' faces every couple of seconds, as well as OOCly poking people I'm RPing with and asking if there are any ways they would like the storyline to go (including possible failures of the above) and considering if I could include any requests without horribly breaking character.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2011, 23:37 »

The fact that my character controls a spaceship with his mind and if you manage to kill him, he just wakes up in another body.

Definitely a Mary-Sue imo.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2011, 23:39 »

The fact that my character controls a spaceship with his mind and if you manage to kill him, he just wakes up in another body.

Definitely a Mary-Sue imo.

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:48 »

I don't think everything you enjoy playing because you think it's cool is actually Mary-Sueism. Such as having a spaceship, say. ;)

In my case, I am actually quite unable to tell what of say Else's current position and about her sense of purpose is Mary-Sue for me, and what's just stuff she evolved to because I found it fun. Some of those things, if I felt I had designed them to be able to do that sort of wish-fulfillment would definitely count, but as the character was not really planned that way and as I have demonstrated that if RP takes me there, I can give them up too, I am not sure...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:20 »

I have none. >.> <.< -.-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5