Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms  (Read 15295 times)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
Re: Admit your Mary Sue- and Peter Pan-isms
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:25 »

I was going to make a joke about Shin obviously not being a Mary Sue, but I just can't get past the general conceit of the game.  I mean, as Vendrin says, we're all immortals who control spaceships with our minds.  The poorest of us are fabulously wealthy.  Hundreds (if not thousands) of "mundane" people die on our whims.  No Mary Sue there at all.

Surprisingly (to me, at least), I don't see a lot of Mary Sue in Eve.  It was my first "real" MMO, and when I first started I was amused by what I saw as the rampant Mary Sue-isms.  All the living gods striding among the human worms, and all that.  Then I took a break and played a few other MMOs, where I came face to face with reality.  I think it ultimately comes down to pvp.  Eve revolves around pvp, to the extent that there is almost no way to really avoid dedicated attempts to pvp you.  If someone wants to shoot Shin, they will find a way to shoot her.  This automatically cuts off a huge swath of potential Mary Sue-ism.  We've all played (or heard of) games filled with people who love to RP unbelievably deadly killers.  It's one of the staple Mary Sues of MMOs.  It's easy, in most games, to claim this because there are few options to translate that into actual game actions.  In Eve, it's different.  If I play Shin as an unbelievably deadly killer, I'd better be able to back that up in game.  At the same time, if Shin is an unbelievably deadly killer, then that fact speaks for itself without any claims being needed.

It's like Istvaan.  In any other game, if you ran into a character that claimed to have organized the downfall of nations, you'd snort to yourself and go "sure".  In any other game Istvaan would be a Mary Sue of titanic proportions.  In Eve he is not, though, because in Eve he actually has organized the downfall of nations.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2011, 14:38 »

We've all played (or heard of) games filled with people who love to RP unbelievably deadly killers.  It's one of the staple Mary Sues of MMOs.  It's easy, in most games, to claim this because there are few options to translate that into actual game actions.  In Eve, it's different.  If I play Shin as an unbelievably deadly killer, I'd better be able to back that up in game.  At the same time, if Shin is an unbelievably deadly killer, then that fact speaks for itself without any claims being needed.
QFT. Why EVE is superior, part #N.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:57 »

I'm only 19
\o/

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:02 »

Question does not compute. So I have no opinion.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2011, 13:47 »

Define Peter-Pan isms?

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2011, 14:19 »

Define Peter-Pan isms?
Believing you can fly, and doing it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2011, 14:28 »

And never growing up.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2011, 14:32 »

And never growing up.
Then by that logic, most of the male population are Peter Pan...
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2011, 14:52 »

True. (And female population, tbh, judging by the outfits I see in public. ;) )

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2011, 14:57 »

Touche. Let's just agree that no one of the Homo sapiens species likes to grow up.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2011, 15:01 »

To your point, that's pretty much how I approach Mary Sues in RP: I just treat them the same way I do the cougars at work (or the 50 year old dudes hitting on the 20 year old girls): people who haven't come to terms with the banality of their own existence.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2011, 15:11 »

We've all played (or heard of) games filled with people who love to RP unbelievably deadly killers.  It's one of the staple Mary Sues of MMOs.  It's easy, in most games, to claim this because there are few options to translate that into actual game actions.  In Eve, it's different.  If I play Shin as an unbelievably deadly killer, I'd better be able to back that up in game.  At the same time, if Shin is an unbelievably deadly killer, then that fact speaks for itself without any claims being needed.
QFT. Why EVE is superior, part #N.

Yeah, this as a reason I love EVE.  If a pilot cant kill me in space, or hire other characters to do it for them, I generally dont worry about about their nifty training/background/cybernetics/genetics/super-whatever.  Godmodding (or one "d"?) your way to badass-dom doesnt work in EVE.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Aphoxema G

• Clonejack
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:05 »

Come on, we all know we accuse each other of this behind each other's backs with others...so why not we come out to admit publically the elements we are aware are "Mary Sue"-esque or Peter Pan-esque. Failing that, have a think about what elements are, and post them up...

I'm the opposite with Aphox. I make her excessively flawed, well educated but wasteful of it, uninformed and of generally very little patience. I abuse her and put her in situations destructive to her psyche. Experience has given her much less wisdom than a reason to not care anymore. She is, effectively, the worst result of the inherent fault of transhumanism; without the pressure to appreciate life as mortality looms overhead or a need to improve and produce so that she or those she might care about can survive, life becomes meaningless. The only reason she never considers suicide is because, to her, there's no longer a line separating life and death but for the opportunity to experience something new and the natural desire for self-preservation.

She's certainly not condemned to this attitude nor applies it to the rest of Humanity, it's just that no one has really offered her an alternative beside psychoactive drugs.

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2011, 16:25 »

I did somewhat of the same thing with Saint.  I took the tragedy route and gave him charater flaws instead of strengths.  It's given me a fun character to play, but there's only a few so far (I think) who enjoy interacting with him.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #29 on: 01 Feb 2011, 01:58 »

I did somewhat of the same thing with Saint.  I took the tragedy route and gave him charater flaws instead of strengths.  It's given me a fun character to play, but there's only a few so far (I think) who enjoy interacting with him.
I play a sociopathic bitch that off-handedly offers general murder. People are tools are they not? And useless tools are disposed of.
That said, she's trying to be nice right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5