Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The voice of the AI on capsuleer ships was recorded by Excena Foer? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carebear = insult?  (Read 4985 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Carebear = insult?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 07:34 »

For as long as i remember, it has always been a derogatory term, and if used in certain situations, an insult.

So yeah, kinda.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 08:06 »

Depends how it's used. In that context, I think it was derogatory.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:10 »

Yep. It's an insult. Only exception I'd give is if it's used in a self-mocking or mocking-the-stereotype manner... in which case it's just being used to make fun of the fact it's an insult.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:06 »

Yes, given the context, I'd say it was. Particularly given the rest of the comment. If it was tongue-in-cheek, it didn't come across that way (to several people, I should note).

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2010, 03:54 »

I am confused.

Is the offence the term "carebear", or the comment itself? Would the comment have been modded if it used the term "industrialist" or "high sec dweller" instead?

Or are people so sensitive that the term "carebear" = "fagtard" and is ipso facto barred from use?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 01 Nov 2010, 05:07 »

Well, to me if someone ever starts talking about 0.0 politics = fagtard.
If someone talks about how many kills they have had that week = fagtard.
If someone talks about how some fitting is better than other and rules over them all = fagtard.
Someone links to their setup that is full of officer mods = fagtard.
Talk about the IGS = fagtard.
Talk about internal politics of any other faction than what I am interested in = fagtard.
OOC talk about an RP event on a RP channel = fagtard.
Backbiting people that I know are good folk = fagtard.
'URDOINITRONG' about someones RP = fagtard.

Hell, I find even someone using a derogatory term like fagtard insulting because it bases itself on two genetic qualities that cannot be changed by the person that has them, homosexuality and mental retardation.

I find that a comedian can put what I am aiming at much better than I can.
Political Correctness and Offence

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #8 on: 01 Nov 2010, 06:30 »

Perhaps I should clarify what I was meaning.

I dont want to imply that carebears are fucktards, or debate the meaning of either of the terms. I was enquiring whether the term "carebear" is considered here to be a term that is automatically off limits and is automattically offensive irrespective of its context or use, in the same way the term fucktard is.

The impression I get from the comment being moded is that it is the term itself, and not the context it is used in, that is offensive.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2010, 07:25 »

When someone uses the term in a dismissive manner, followed by a call for violencing the boat of the subject (I'm not so daft as to think that comment was literal ;) ), then it appears negative to me. As I noted, and as others noted, the context made it appear offensive to a number of readers. I acknowledge it could have been used in a tongue-in-cheek, harmless manner, but that wasn't clear in this case. And given the sort of posting culture we want to encourage on this site, moderation seemed like the best choice in this particular case.

Nothing above should be taken as prejudice for future use of the term. And it wouldn't be appropriate to go laying down a bunch of specific rules about using this term or that term, and how and when.

Posters should use their best judgment. But if you snicker while your mouse hovers over the "submit" button, you might want to pause and reconsider.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:10 »

As one of the people who reported that post, I found it insulting mainly because the only content of the post was calling the OP a carebear. If the poster had used carebear in some context as a synonym for say industrialist or a high-sec dweller (which are not the same thing, by the way, so for clarity if might have been a good idea to use the exact term anyway), I might have felt differently. But when the poster's only point seemed to be to call the OP something and suggest explodering, yes, it felt as a flame to me. Possibly one meant as a harmless joke, sure, given who posted it ;), but still a non-helpful comment of possibly insulting nature.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: 01 Nov 2010, 23:46 »

Great comedian Lallara, lol. I don't find carebear offensive at all, CCP devs have used it in the past at least once. Also, I think there was a hint of sarcasm in that post, what with "BURN THE WITCH" at the end.

Why is this even an issue?

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 02 Nov 2010, 03:52 »

Multiple people felt the post was insulting.

The post was reported.

The moderation team agreed.

The post was moved.

Discussion ensued. Some disagreed with the judgement of the moderators, others agreed.

The moderation team does not refuse to take action unless they are confident that every single reader on the board will voice unanimous approval.

The FAQ may shed some further light on why this is an issue.

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:04 »

Great comedian Lallara, lol. I don't find carebear offensive at all, CCP devs have used it in the past at least once. Also, I think there was a hint of sarcasm in that post, what with "BURN THE WITCH" at the end.
Do you imply that if something is sarcastic, it cannot be an insult? ;)

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #14 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:57 »

Why is this even an issue?
Just because they're Devs does not mean they are not human.  I've seen threads moved to RP sections that were clearly troll threads on the grounds that it's "RP and inappropriate for CAOD", I've seen RP threads moved that were perfectly legitimate RP from the Summit to Events and Fiction, and I've petitioned some of those decisions and had them reversed.  I've even gotten Dev posts on the forums changed by reporting them and in some cases removed for abusive language (that happened a couple years ago).

Point being, just because the Devs do it does not make it any less offensive to the offended, and it doesn't automatically make it right under the rules.  As my momma always said, "do as I say, not as I do."
Pages: [1] 2