Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carebear = insult?  (Read 4986 times)

Vikarion

Re: Carebear = insult?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:56 »

I don't think that "carebear" is an insult, any more than "blue collar worker" is, or any other occupational terms. It's a description of a type of occupation in Eve, and often in other MMORPGs, and there are a lot of players who proudly claim the title.

Now, about it being in the context of an insult...I generally support the moderation on this board, but I think that trying to discern the "tone" of someone in a written medium is largely suspect. Are we going to start removing posts because we thought someone said something in a snotty voice?

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:59 »

There's been other instances when stuff has been reported as potentially insulting, but not removed. I'd not fret too much about the moderators overdoing it, before you actually see severe, repeated overdoing.

You can use words that are not insulting in themselves to insult something, that much is obvious. If we start from the assumption that since carebear is not an insult word, anything that uses carebear is therefore not an insult, all we need is to get a bit creative with word-usage and we can pretty much flame anything and anyone.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2010, 13:49 »

If we start from the assumption that since carebear is not an insult word, anything that uses carebear is therefore not an insult, all we need is to get a bit creative with word-usage and we can pretty much flame anything and anyone.

This seems like a bit of a non sequitur to me...

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2010, 16:41 »

If we start from the assumption that since carebear is not an insult word, anything that uses carebear is therefore not an insult, all we need is to get a bit creative with word-usage and we can pretty much flame anything and anyone.
This seems like a bit of a non sequitur to me...
Which part? If you mean the "carebear is not an insult word, therefore anything that uses carebear is not an insult", yes, I agree with you completely. It's a completely botched reasoning, but that hasn't stopped something like it having been used in this thread. :)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2010, 17:37 »

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood then.

Let's also please keep in mind that the post that got moved recently was a bit of a necro. As far as I'm personally concerned, this was a done deal weeks ago.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2010, 23:55 »

If carebear is an insult, so is pirate, PvPer, ganker, griefer, scammer, and anything else that entails not being nice to everyone, anyone, and anything other than red crosses on the overview.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2010, 00:44 »

Silence, Pirate.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2010, 01:30 »

Prepare your brainmouths for my Sennbabble! >:U

The way I see it, "carebear" is to the EVE/gaming community, as "nerd" is to modern society.

If you want to joke with your other computer-gaming, MW2-grinding, D&D-optimizing, anime convention-going, Cowboy Bebop-watching, watched-Titan-AE-ninety-times-cause-its-so-boss friends. You might use "nerd" as a term of endearment. Case in point: "We're planning to get together at Brian's house, watch Atlantis, play some Melee, and just be total nerds for the night."

Nothing insulting there. Now, getting caught by your childhood nemeses in the school cafeteria discussing the finer points of Firefly... well, now you're a nerd, with a negative emphasis.

Same bit with carebear. In certain instances, you might be making fun of your friend for missioning/mining in hisec to make some isk. You might be taking a friendly jab at the one guy in your corp who refuses to PvP, has only hauler losses on his record, but still has fun and contributes to the corp through his intensive indy skills. You see where I'm going with this.

Now, if you're minding your business in lowsec, running an annex, and just that once forgot to check d-scan when a neutral popped up, and several minutes later you're in your pod watching nine Machs, fifteen Vagas and a Curse disappear as you warp to safety, and you happen to mention how you feel about the situation, you know what you're in for in local.

"LOL U MAD CAREBEAR!?!11"

Anywho, point I'm trying to make is, sometimes we're going to mean things in jest, and they'll be taken out of context. It happens a lot. Thats why moderators are here.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2010, 02:12 »

Silence, nerd.
* Mizhara goes off to watch Titan AE again because it most certainly is a 'boss' movie.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2010, 03:12 »

Silence, nerd.
* Mizhara goes off to watch Titan AE again because it most certainly is a 'boss' movie.

You bet your nerd ass it is! Drej ain't shit! >:U
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2010, 13:42 »

We all know the only real insult in EVE is "Jovian."
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2010, 18:32 »

I think that the term 'Care bear' was initially intended as an insult, but it has been co-opted and accepted by the 'Carebear' high-sec Empire dwelling community in much the same way that the words 'Fag' and 'N*gger' have been co-opted and adopted by the Gay and African-American community.

We should also consider that even the most hard boiled bad ass Pirate usually has 'Non combat' alts to do his/her hauling and mission running in High sec to help finance their combat, so these players are also 'carebears' at least some of the time.

However, I remember seeing a Youtube video about one Miner in low-sec who 'loses it' when a pair of Pirates blow up his ship. In a real life phone call, the furious Miner calls one of the Pirates a 'carebear'. The incredulous Pirate says "Dude, I am not the carebear. YOU are the carebear. Do you even know what a carebear is?"

Currently training Verbosity to level V.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jan 2011, 09:41 »

To drag up an old[ish] post, I'd like to call you all carebears.
Carebear was coined many moons ago as an insult to non-combatant gamers. To some it's the most terrible word you can inflict on them, whilst to others it's a nonevent. Really, don't get your panties in a bunch when people call you a carebear, it's a word, and I usually smile and say 'I love you too.'
Carebears are cute and cuddley, so why not take it as a compliment? They're obviously so enamoured with you that they have to prove it by calling you something snuggley and sweet.
My 0.3ISK worth.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.
Pages: 1 [2]