Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Just gonna leave this here.  (Read 8421 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Just gonna leave this here.
« Reply #30 on: 05 Oct 2010, 09:40 »

With respect, here's what I see:

Ashar presents the fact that some EVE players (including writers, roleplayers, and others with an interest in the general subject matter addressed on Backstage) don't come here, largely because of their perceptions of what the moderation and atmosphere include.

Some of the other members, including "core regulars" and staff, point out that we come here because of our perceptions of those things.

I don't doubt for a moment that Ashar tells the truth, and that some folks feel that way. I suspect that, rather than changing the underlying reality in any way, we might need to do a better job of explaining some things (cf. the discussion on writing critiques) and highlighting that "offensively inoffensive" may not apply to sites that allow open discussion of D/s, RL politics, and the like.

I understand that I have personality clashes with some users. I try not to let it affect any decisions I might make, and in fact the atmosphere this site promotes almost certainly keeps any resultant conflict to a bare minimum.

Which is a "win" for everyone involved.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 05 Oct 2010, 10:50 »

I appreciate that Ashar wishes to elaborate upon the problem(s) he perceives, but could I ask/remind that attention is given to contribute such explanation with possible solutions with their respective rationale.  Perhaps proposed solutions help people understand the nature of a problem better in such cases that it should seem elusive?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 05 Oct 2010, 10:52 »

I don't doubt for a moment that Ashar tells the truth, and that some folks feel that way. I suspect that, rather than changing the underlying reality in any way, we might need to do a better job of explaining some things (cf. the discussion on writing critiques) and highlighting that "offensively inoffensive" may not apply to sites that allow open discussion of D/s, RL politics, and the like.

Oh my! I recall we had a politics section created on the CVA forums after the 'just for fun' section started to become a bit serious. My recollection was that it was the best place to go in smelling like a flower and come out smelling like shit, no matter what you said.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #33 on: 05 Oct 2010, 17:20 »

I personally think there has probably been an element of "trying too hard" here when it comes to laying down the rules and trying to establish the moderation style. It's a bit uptight. Entirely understandable given the history of The Other Place, however.

In general, though, I tend to think that moderation needs to scale with the growth of the forum. Small numbers and you can afford to be laissez-faire; once you get to a certain size, though, that simply stops working. This place has been lucky to quickly grow to a size that matches the moderation. The Chatsubo failed to adapt to growth due to ideology, in my opinion.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 [3]