Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just gonna leave this here.  (Read 8432 times)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
Just gonna leave this here.
« on: 02 Oct 2010, 05:59 »

As I said in my return thread, I've read the catacombs. I've also taken the opportunity to brush up on this forum's contents.

I think it would be prudent to remind the caretakers of this particular array of ones and zeroes that people come here to interact with a userbase and review content.

They tolerate rules and moderation. They don't come here for either of them. Try not to forget this if you're a mod, because you'll be proven wrong again and again.

Laters, gotta mambo.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Just gonna leave this here.
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2010, 10:05 »

I disagree.

I come here FOR the rules and moderation.

Years of assholes fucking up all possible advances in OOC discussion with blatant attacks on others left me quite disillusioned. BackStage changes all that.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2010, 10:08 »

I disagree.

Years of assholes fucking up all possible advances in OOC discussion with blatant attacks on others left me quite disillusioned. BackStage changes all that.

yeah I gotta agree with Graelyn, I know that having overzealous mods can cause issues (and I don't think the mods here are overzealous) , but I know what happens in a community where the mods are inactive or too lax.
The amount of moderation we have is good for the community makeup.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: 03 Oct 2010, 10:25 »

That's you two, which is great. It's decidedly not everyone I've been talking to.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 03 Oct 2010, 12:00 »

I wrote the comment to which you linked before I became a mod. The moderation policy is at least half the reason I choose this EVE forum over others.

And to be clear, I just try to keep posts and threads within the guidelines somebody else wrote. Same as Cia and Morlag and Louella and such.

Nobody thinks that Backstage is for everyone. Those that don't like it have many choices. Those that do don't have very many.

Vikarion

« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2010, 15:05 »

I'm certainly here for the moderation.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2010, 15:35 »

I disagree.

The Big G says it well.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2010, 21:00 »

Add me to the "here for the moderation" group.

The older I get the less tolerance I have for juvenile antics and incivility.

If I want to subject myself to tantrums, name calling and hair pulling... well, I've got kids.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2010, 23:01 »

Came for the atmosphere, stayed for the atmosphere. 

Good moderation seems to make the atmosphere possible.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2010, 00:03 »

Again, that's you folks, which is great.

It's decidedly not the view of everyone who I've been talking to, and not all of my talking has involved people that heavily use the boards at the moment.

A clever individual would likely see such indication as a cue that it was time to investigating an increase in appeal and perhaps get more members out of it long-term.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2010, 00:24 »

I don't really see it as a popularity contest. A high member count has never been the goal, to my knowledge.

People who prefer the atmosphere here can use this forum. People who prefer moderation that allows for more robust debate can use Chatsubo, or indeed are welcome to create their own board.

I would tend to agree with Ken, in that I think we have largely achieved the atmosphere that we wanted here, and that it is the moderation to a large degree that enables that along with the willingness of a lot of people in the RP community to participate within that framework.

I don't see how asking people to post constructively and not to attack each other is excessive. Similarly, I think it is reasonable to ask for discussions that create content, rather than having threads where there are two or more sides striving to be 'right' and win.

I understand that some people feel our guidelines are excessively restrictive. Still, I think that we have a reasonable level of activity, and I'm not inclined to support changing something that works.

I don't see much good down the road of trying to please everyone, and I think the forum has been fairly successful as it is. As mentioned above, there are plenty of options for people who want a less strict environment, and few options for those who want the atmosphere that we have here or something similar.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2010, 07:58 »

The purpose of threads not unlike this one is at the very least to occasionally say 'this far and no farther.'  Which needs doing. You can't simply be the only person to draw the line in the sand, Silver, nor can a team of moderators. As such, here I am.

Not everyone considers such a position merely the obligatory stance of the member of the community who always finds himself singing the least popular message.
People who prefer the atmosphere here can use this forum. People who prefer moderation that allows for more robust debate can use Chatsubo, or indeed are welcome to create their own board.
Boldface mine, obviously.

This isn't really possible anymore, simply because of the pathetic number of active members. It doesn't work to attempt to advance a thoughtful position with a group whose chief interests do not always align with the sort of patchwork collaborative writing and content development we do here and whose scope does not represent anything like an appropriate number of people or perspectives for good results.

I don't see how asking people to post constructively and not to attack each other is excessive. Similarly, I think it is reasonable to ask for discussions that create content, rather than having threads where there are two or more sides striving to be 'right' and win.

I understand that some people feel our guidelines are excessively restrictive. Still, I think that we have a reasonable level of activity, and I'm not inclined to support changing something that works.
I didn't lay out criteria for you above, I merely underscored the existence of one of this forum's problems. This problem is a hurdle for a good number of potential users that might be here contributing if it were corrected.

I won't even get into the perceived problems, which are significant. But they need to be engaged with, and the only way they're engaged with is if someone points out that they exist and are detrimental. So there you are.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2010, 09:09 »

I don't understand.

It seems as if you are trying to say your thoughts, but hiding it under vague wording. What's the problem?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2010, 09:36 »

your point seems sort of incorrect Ashar, to shorten and paraphrase, you basically seem to be saying "I want to be able to have looser debates, like on chatsubo."

however, your argument that a lot of people want to be able to do that is invalid because, if they did they'd still be on chatsubo. People knew about the moderation and things here. thats why they came here in the first place.

Saying you want loose rules and moderation seems to me like going to an amusement park then complaining that its not a carnival. Everyone is here because of the moderation.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 04 Oct 2010, 10:39 »

I'm not.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: [1] 2 3