Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Author Topic: The New Meritocracy and State dissidents  (Read 913 times)

Zag

The New Meritocracy and State dissidents
« on: 02 Oct 2010, 04:49 »

I've always wondered about that other half of Caldari society. The men and women, whom for whatever reasons find the life of corporate servitude to a Megacorporation unbearable. The ones indeed whom aren't a corporate citizen, who don't live peaceful lives behind the walls of glass and steel in a corporate enclave. The ones who, looking at the State can no longer condone it or wish to live within it. The ones living at the bottoms of the corporate ladder.

Tibus Heth and the Provists before the 'revolution' were probably an example of these dissidents. Indeed, I at times see the revolution of Tibus Heth as the State's revolution of a dissenting proletariat against a corporate system becoming increasingly corrupt by those who retained power in the Megacorps. So if the Provists are anything to go by there are people who don't exactly toe the 'corporate line' in the Caldari State and that there is a wide enough base of them to grant the Provists at least some level of de facto power over the Megacorps. (In addition to the power granted to the CPD by State Executor Heth).

The State isn't perfect, sure if you've got a good middle-class job with a Mega and you're able to afford to provide for yourself and your family, live in a nice suburban enclave surrounded by corporate security forces, have a dog and white picket fences you're not going to be complaining. The Meritocratic system would appear to be working perfectly and all is well with the State.

But those living outside those fences and enclaves? The ones forced to work in the factories and pre-fab ghettoes, working the long hours toiling in greulling conditions. Facing the full brunt of what occurs when corporations place profits before safety, worker's rights, or any thought for their well-being. If a blue-collar job being crushed under the weight of corporate greed doesn't suit, well there's always the life of crime.

There's really few options at that level of the corporate ladder, and it's under those conditions that the seeds of discontent get sown. The Meritocracy is not working, not all is well within the State. I'm certain that for many of these people, being able to see the rise of a man such as Heth, a victim of the same system, a lowly MTAC operator would have been liberating to see. How could it not be, when the narrative attached is that, "You are no longer powerless."

When Heth promises a New Meritocracy to rectify the corruption of the past, a future where in fact any man or woman in the State can advance to a position on their talents and their merits alone and when that is combined with a strong patriotic Caldari ideology is it's not unsurprising of the wide support base Heth and the Provists are able to to gain within the State.

The revolution of the New Meritocracy has always appeared to make sense to me (although the rapidity of events surrounding it: less so). I just at times wonder at the amount of hostility it appears to engender at a variety of levels.