Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Capsuleer celebrities (split from 'When RP is not RP')  (Read 3151 times)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
Re: Capsuleer celebrities (split from 'When RP is not RP')
« Reply #15 on: 02 Oct 2010, 08:25 »

IRL, celebrities are the super rich and powerful people (good, bad, it doesn't matter) that are untouchable by the normal person.  But it's the mass media that decide how important the person is and decide their celebrity status.  The media can also decide how to paint said person.  They can also destroy celeb status.

Mass media is a very large and scary brainwashing tool.  ._.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 02 Oct 2010, 23:16 »

Why? James Bond, were he real and outed as an agent, wouldn't be able to get a moment's peace between sponsorship offers.

Remember, what the Gallente people see is a brave fighter for freedom ferreting out traitors amongst capsuleer and private citizen alike, protecting them from the brutal Caldari war machine.

Think about it - the Federation just finished having most of its low-sec territories occupied, and the counter-push into Black Rise first slowed, then stalled, and has been mostly repulsed. The war is a dead even stalemate.

This has to be very frightening for the Gallente. To the majority of the population, who probably still see the State as a minor break-away state, watching the Caldari first conquer Caldari Prime, then occupy Gallente low-sec, and then successfully face down the counter-attack...well, it's probably a period of national trauma. Emotionally, it's a bit like China facing down Taiwan, losing Tibet and all their islands, and then, even when they push them back, unable to actually invade.

In such an atmosphere of fear and insecurity, it's quite likely that they would happily look for people willing to "do what it takes" to win.

Well, one, James Bond really has nothing to do with actually being a spy or a covert operative.  Hes an action hero, with a spy as a backdrop.  Most of his movies are quite campy and silly, and even the more recent ones are more than a bit unrealistic.  I dont think James Bond references fit in with Eve's dark and gritty feel.  

And besides, Bond isnt out there summarily executing British citizens in England.  I doubt he would be thought of us charming or urbane then.

And, Im not sure youre really grasping what advertising is.  Advertising is trying to associate good feelings and emotions with your product.  Its why they're is always a beautiful woman in just about every commercial, even if its ridiculous.  It operates on an emotional, subconscious more than an rational one really.

Seri and his group are trying to inspire loyalty through fear and terror.  Unsanctioned killings do that, especially when you take the time to publicize them.  To say that Qaufe would still use that in marketing is like saying Coke would use 9/11 imagery in their latest marketing campaign.  Seri is doing his best to portray himself as a symbol of fear.  No one wants consumers to associate their product with fear.    
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2010, 00:36 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 03 Oct 2010, 05:00 »

Seri and his group are trying to inspire loyalty through fear and terror.  Unsanctioned killings do that, especially when you take the time to publicize them.  To say that Qaufe would still use that in marketing is like saying Coke would use 9/11 imagery in their latest marketing campaign.  Seri is doing his best to portray himself as a symbol of fear.  No one wants consumers to associate their product with fear.    

Anti-Smoking campaigns?
Seri can be the new face of Drop addiction.  :)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 Oct 2010, 07:20 »

Who's seri's 'group' anyway? >_>

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 03 Oct 2010, 08:36 »

I am so totally displeased that I am not being discussed in this thread.

Wait, who are you again?

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 03 Oct 2010, 16:59 »

I am so totally displeased that I am not being discussed in this thread.

Wait, who are you again?

Best poast evarr.

/thread

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 03 Oct 2010, 18:22 »

http://eve-search.com/thread/1305310/page/1#2

Aha! I found it. This is what I had meant in the previous thread.
Pages: 1 [2]