Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

blueprints are required for manufacture of everything from shuttles to dreadnoughts because of strict anti-copyright infringement laws enforced by the SCC.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The State and the Republic  (Read 6096 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: The State and the Republic
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2010, 10:55 »

That's interesting, because I saw the Federation and Republic as more natural allies than the State and Republic for...

- Both detest slavery (even the 'Slave' item description quotes the Federation and not the Republic against it)
- Both have a strong emphasis on individuality and freedom
- And as mentioned, one-third of the Federation is Matari (one-fifth of Matari race overall)

The issue I see is that both the Republic and the Federation are a nation of collective individuals, with their own custom fashion depending on individual taste, like tattoos etc.

From a Federal meddling point-of-view, the Federation has a large obligation to help the Republic since a third of it is Minmatar as said. I actually thought Republic/Fed as allies made perfect sense for the reasons outlined, mainly the one about freedom and individuality but interesting to see. Them both getting pushed around by a larger empire is the biggest point.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2010, 13:56 »

The Caldari homosexuality issue is actually pretty deep; I can make all sorts of arguments about it, and it deserves its own thread.

However, a lot of Matari roleplayers have been stealing the following throughout EVE:

"I against my brothers,
I and my brothers against my cousins,
I and my brothers and cousins against the world."

Or some variant thereof, possibly including clans, tribes, and star clusters.

So I see you one on the group competition thing, Silver, and raise you one.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:02 »

The Caldari homosexuality issue is actually pretty deep; I can make all sorts of arguments about it, and it deserves its own thread.

However, a lot of Matari roleplayers have been stealing the following throughout EVE:

"I against my brothers,

Variations of that are pretty common among the Caldari too. Except it is usually Family>Corporation>State.

I would suggest that the first part of the Minmatar version, though, might indicate a subtle difference in how players view these things. The 'I against my brothers' part might not be that common, for Caldari.

Nascent

• Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:06 »

Not that it will ever happen, but I was just thinking that it would be interesting if the faction lines got shaken up and redone as Amarr vs. Gallente vs. Caldari/Minmatar....  8)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:12 »

"I against my brothers,

Variations of that are pretty common among the Caldari too. Except it is usually Family>Corporation>State.

I would suggest that the first part of the Minmatar version, though, might indicate a subtle difference in how players view these things. The 'I against my brothers' part might not be that common, for Caldari.

I would suggest that the focus on family or off it for these groups derives more from circumstance than some inherently central cultural core without which they would wither on the vine, tho. Shit happened in the history of one that highlighted one kind of social group that just as easily could have been another sort. If the heroes of the Caldari-Gallente war had been a bunch of Raata dynastic heirs that were all about family and clan lines, we might see a rather different State today.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:14 »

Meant to emphasize that for the Caldari, it started at the family level (a group) rather than an individual level. Certainly that the larger societal units for the Caldari are corporations rather than clans might have turned out differently with a slightly different history, no question.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2010, 19:49 »

I want to revive this thread, because I want to address the economic side of things (which I don't think have been addressed yet) and the recent history/impact on culture side in more depth.

I don't think there are numbers anywhere for import/export between Empires, but the are Caldari Megacorps with a big presence in the Republic in space, already (NOH, Ishukone, KK - 1 of each for the Caldari political factions, perhaps not coincidentally). 

The Republic represents a market for Megacorps, and good will in the large Minmatar population in the Federation, perhaps, as well.

For the Republic, goods from the State represent a way to get away from some of the reliance (if there is any) on Federation produced goods.

Additionally, if the State still has problems getting enough labor (I'm not sure if it is clearly established whether they do, at this point in time, still?) then the Republic might be an attractive outsourcing option, with underemployment and a huge mix of skill-sets apparently just sitting there.

On the subject of recent history, just covering more 'common ground' the Republic is rebuilding a culture in the place where they came from, while the Caldari are adapting an old culture to a new place. Just has a certain symmetry, to me.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2010, 22:53 »

The current situation comes down to a few very basic connections.

Minmatar fighting Amarr for the freedom of their civilization.

Caldari fighting Gallente for the freedom of their civilization.

Amarr make contact with Gallente (& Caldari).

Suddenly, Amarr & Gallente have very large ideologically opposed enemies as their neighbors and each are dealing with an upstart rebellion succeeding within their own empires.

Caldari side with the Amarr against the Gallente.  Minmatar side with the Gallente against the Amarr.  Caldari & Minmatar hypocritically support their larger allies position towards the other.

The current situation however does present the possibility for mutually beneficial partnerships.
Pages: 1 [2]