Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Project] EVE: Iconocracy  (Read 18964 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
[Project] EVE: Iconocracy
« on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:48 »

EVE: Iconocracy

Iconocracy began as a project to create larger, sharper versions of the NPC corporation and faction icons seen in EVE Online (see: this thread here and deviantART here).  That is still its primary purpose, but the project's goal is now to create enhanced icons for every NPC corp and faction and compile them into a single, carefully crafted image complete with informative descriptions and pertinent screenshots/EVE art from chrons and such.  An example of an early version at half resolution is available here.  I'm looking at the final, grand image coming to somewhere around 13000x8000 pixels in size (with each of the over 200 icons alone represented in 512x512px), a resolution sufficient to have a professional printer create a sizable poster with good print resolution.

The component images we're talking about are not simply resizes of the current icons.  They are original creations made to look like the in-game icons and it takes a good bit of my time to draw and polish each one.  Thankfully, I find the creation process quite fun.  My artistic goal is to impart a certain amount of uniformity across the various icons within each faction by giving them all the appearance of having the same material and lighting (polished stone for the Amarr, brushed metal with two light sources for the Caldari, etc).  I'm also trying to establish a certain amount of uniformity across all the icons in every group so that they look better together in the final product.

The way I'm going to lay out that final product leaves some room to include a few special additions.  I want to use that space to incorporate a few player corporations (or alliances) in the final product.  The question I'm left with answering is how best to choose whom to include.  I think, in the spirit of the Backstage, a fiction contest might be the best means to that end.  Update October 3rd: that contest has now been announced and you can find out more here.

Since I can't log in to the client from here, I am also soliciting you (yes, you! :o) for your badass EVE screenshots of: fleets standing still, fleets in motion, fleets stuck in and lancing their opponents with heavy fire, and also the rare and interesting sights of New Eden that most people tend to just warp on by.  Please link or email your screens to kenreikko@gmail.com.  They don't even have to be your screenshots, just point me in the right direction if you come across one.

Project agenda/timeline--

100%: Amarr enhanced icon stock
100%: Amarr finished icons
100%: Caldari enhanced icon stock
100%: Caldari finished icons
100%: Gallente enhanced icon stock
100%: Gallente finished icons
100%: Minmatar enhanced icon stock
100%: Minmatar finished icons
100%: Neutrals & pirates enhanced icon stock
100%: Neutrals & pirates finished icons
100%: Assemble screenshot stock from the community
100%: Contest to select player corporations/alliances for inclusion
42%: Player corp icon stock
42%: Player corp finished icons
CONTINUAL: Review all stock artwork and tweak
78%: Finished 771x579px 'card' for each corp/faction

Factions examples (slightly outdated):

Bloodline examples:

32%: Compile the final image
0%: Printing test runs and further tweaking
0%: First finished posters awarded to contest winners
0%: Posters available to everyone
0%: Enhanced icon image stocks released to the community

Can you dig it?
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2010, 16:56 by Ken »

DeT Resprox

• Egger
  • Leader of Ushra'Khan and founding member.
    • evepandora
Re: Iconocracy
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:03 »

That is excellent.  Going to pinch this for our website  :D

Did you create this yourself, and is there a version for other races.  I'll happily have a go at making a Minmatar one if not  ;)
DeT Resprox
Leader of the Ushra'Khan and founding member
T.R.I.A.D CEO
Minmatar Militia Fleet Commander
Founding member of the People's Republic of Minmatar

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:15 »

This reply and DeT's first few posts pertain to a much earlier version of the OP.  So don't consider them relevant to the current discussion.

That is excellent.

Thank you.

Did you create this yourself

Pretty much everything but the smaller in-game logos.  This is a maturation of the work that started in this thread.  I'm still looking for the right way to distribute what I'm producing.  Some of these images are already out there in higher-res (768px square) on deviantART.

is there a version for other races

Yes.  I think Nouvelle Veiy has a couple of these going around, one for each empire at least.  I'll post the others once I "get my hands on them"  ;)  Apparently they all connect to create a giant poster (that'll be available IRL in a high gloss print, fingers-crossed, at some point...)   8)
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2010, 01:06 by Ken »

DeT Resprox

• Egger
    • evepandora
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:30 »

I'd be very interested in using something like this to create a dynamic php template for each race where corporations could add their own corporation under each Bloodline beneath each Faction.  Ideally, i'd like to use something like your sheet as a building block where sections would be added underneath much like Nouvelle Veiy has been.  

If you are happy with this, maybe we can work on something.  It would be a simple thing for me to knock up in a couple of hours and could be dynamically updated to eve-files.com where clicking on each corp/alliance could open up the relating eve page or corp/alliance show info window ingame :)
DeT Resprox
T.R.I.A.D CEO

DeT Resprox

• Egger
    • evepandora
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:32 »

I'd be very interested in using something like this to create a dynamic php template for each race where corporations could add their own corporation under each Bloodline beneath each Faction.  Ideally, i'd like to use something like your sheet as a building block where sections would be added underneath much like Nouvelle Veiy has been.  

If you are happy with this, maybe we can work on something.  It would be a simple thing for me to knock up in a couple of hours and could be dynamically updated to eve-files.com where clicking on each corp/alliance could open up the relating eve page or corp/alliance show info window ingame for selected corp/alliance :)
DeT Resprox
T.R.I.A.D CEO

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2010, 20:23 »

shiny I like it, and would put it on my wall.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:23 »

idea

Sounds like it could be very useful!  My part in it wouldn't really be able to go beyond providing icon artwork.  I'm no programmer (of anything!), but I'd be happy to lend a hand in my own way if you do want to put something together.  Can you put an example of your concept together without graphics or using basic images to start with?

shiny I like it, and would put it on my wall.

Thank you :)  More to follow on that.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: [Project] EVE: Iconocracy
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 22:43 »

OP changed substantially and bumped for great justice. 

Who would be interested in being a part of this?  (As subject matter, I mean.  I'll do the drawing.  :))

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2010, 23:00 »

Who would be interested in being a part of this?  (As subject matter, I mean.  I'll do the drawing.  :))

what do you mean?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:06 »

I'm making an enormous version of this, which will include all four factions and minor powers, for eventual poster production.

The [layout leaves room] to incorporate a few player corporations (or alliances) in the final product.  The question I'm left with answering is how best to choose whom to include.  I think, in the spirit of the Backstage, a fiction contest might be the best means to that end.

I would like to gauge interest in such a contest before launching one.  Would you be interested?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:04 »

oh I see...lets put words together, K Fi, yeah, thats a good idea.

Depending on the contest, I'd probably get behind it, I do enjoy writing.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:12 »

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2010, 08:48 »

:lol:  I'll take that as a "yes", Ghost Hunter.  (And I'll be adding it to my desktop wallpaper rotation.)

Nikita- I'm thinking something in the flash fiction realm.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2010, 08:59 »

deviant art gallery is awesome!

joharakador

• Clonejack
  • P-A-R-T why?
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2010, 17:06 »

Well, I don't think I have the ability to write-to-win yet, however, I know that I would happily pay (yes real money) for a posterized version of all 4 major factions (and of course the "others") if it were available.
Pages: [1] 2 3