Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Winners!] EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction  (Read 6229 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction Contest

It's the second anniversary of the Empress Jamyl's coronation so what better time than today for new announcements?  

In conjuction with the project pertaining to this thread, I am announcing the EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction Contest, available to all members of the Backstage and the broader EVE RP/fanfic community (provided they have a Backstage account for posting).  Though not quite as cool as a cushionocracy, this contest is closely related to the Iconocracy art project and the winners can expect their corporation or alliance to appear in the final Iconocracy poster prints.  Here's a chance to enshrine your character and your corp or alliance forever alongside the NPC empires and pirate factions!

Terms & Conditions

This contest will run in phases.  You'll be able to submit one entry every phase, but you'll have to be quick on your feet.  Sometime between now and 0000 GMT on November 3rd, 2010, I will create four contest-related threads in the Player Driven Content section of the Backstage forums.  Once a thread goes up, you'll have exactly 23 hours to submit an entry in it.  I did mention this was flash fiction, right?  Anything that goes up with a timestamp after that won't be considered.  Keep your eyes on the forums and your creativity sharp.  

Submissions must be posted here on the Backstage in the appropriate thread.  Let everyone enjoy your work!

The first thread won't go up for at least a week, so everyone will have time to hear about the contest. Once they start appearing, each thread will contain more specific information about the style and subject requirements for entries, but these may be a little cryptic.  So you'll have to use your imagination.  All entries, regardless of the other rules set in each particular thread, will be no longer than 400 words.  Let me state that again: 400 words or less.  I'm doing everything from the middle of nowhere on a borrowed connection, so I want to see what you can do with limited space and time.  ::air quotes::  Less is more, as they say.

Along with every entry, you'll need to include your character's name and your corp/alliance nomination in the subject line in case the entry wins one of the grand prizes.  This must be your main character (or what passes for it), but you can nominate your current corp/alliance or any corp/alliance that appears in the character's employment history under one condition.  Corp nominations must have a RP flavor.  LDIS, perfect; Eleutherian Guard, excellent; PIE Inc., golden.  Suddenly Ninjas, not so much.  See the pattern?  Nothing that breaks the fourth wall since Iconocracy is essentially all in-character.

You don't have to nominate the same corp every time.  So choose wisely, and if you want to stack the deck in favor of a particular organization, it may help to team up with corp mates and see what sort of writing chops they've got.

Winners have been announced!

I ask again, can you dig it?

Prizes

Grand Prize (3 will be awarded)
- creation of a custom logo for your corp or alliance
- digital image pack of your logo art
- inclusion of your custom corp or alliance logo in EVE: Iconocracy
- appreciable level of glorification of your character in the description for your corp/alliance
- full-size print of the complete EVE: Iconocracy (you can frame that sh1t! -- and I'll ship it to you free anywhere on Earth)
- maybe some other cool stuff (yea, I know that other contest is giving out Machariels like they were condoms at the university health clinic, but some of us got bills to pay...)

Silver Prize (3 will be awarded)
- the chance to participate in an awesome contest!
- consolation in large amounts
- Silver Night*

Bronze Prize (unlimited)
- a markedly reduced quantity of consolation

*while supplies last
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 16:04 by Ken »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: [Contest] EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2010, 10:09 »

Oh hell yeah!  :D

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2010, 10:48 »

I'm in
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2010, 00:33 »

jk, im not in.
forgot that i dont run a cowrp.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2010, 00:35 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2010, 02:08 »

Cow RP?

What?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2010, 05:31 »

I've always been a fan of Cow RP.

My favourite character ever was Daisy, the brown-and-white jersey cow. She had 'Chew Cud' to level 5 and she did 'hotdrop' the odd steaming cowpat.

Good times.

Edit: And yes, I am interested in the above product and/or service

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2010, 09:29 »

jk, im not in.
forgot that i dont run a cowrp.

:lol: Bovine humor aside...

CEO status isn't necessary.  Any corp/alliance you've been a part of as your main can be nominated.  New Eden Assembly certainly counts as a meta-corp organization that I'd be happy to consider should you decide throw your hat into the ring, Ben.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2010, 23:16 »

Are we allowed to submit previously things we have written previously?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2010, 23:27 »

Are we allowed to submit previously things we have written previously?

Hmm, looking at the OP I don't think I explicitly forbid that anywhere.  Would be nice if it was something that hasn't been posted or published anywhere yet, but eh--I didn't condemn that either.  What ya got, sir?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2010, 07:17 »

Caldari Love Story, but it may be too long, have to check.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
[Winners!] EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2010, 16:05 »

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... the results!
(btw, winners should check their pm inbox)

Grand Prize Winners

Winners of the grand prize will receive custom corp logo artwork drawn in the style of Iconocracy, inclusion of their corporation or alliance in the Iconocracy poster, by-name mention of their character in their corporation or alliance description on the poster, and a copy of the Iconocracy poster print delivered anywhere in the world.

\o/ Arvo Katsuya of True Slave Foundations for the entry "Phanta" (which had me laughing out loud at my grandparents' house)

\o/ Jianni Sotaku of the Sotaku Estate for the entry "It's not me, it's you" (probably my favorite single entry of the contest)

and

\o/ Mammal Tafren of the Intaki Liberation Front for the entries "Yasur" and "Rkshas ki Myrtu" (both of which were worthy of the grand prize, imo)

Silver Prize Winners

But wait, there's more!  The formatting of the Iconocracy poster was still undecided at the time I announced our contest.  Since making the final decision on how to place each infocard on the poster, I've found room for more than just three player organizations.  So, recipients of the silver prize (of which there will be 4) will also receive custom corp logo artwork drawn in the style of Iconocracy, inclusion of their corporation or alliance in the poster, and by-name mention of their character.

\o/ Lallara Zhuul of the Path of Thorns for the entry "They Believe that They Are Dead" (an interesting look at the justifications for capsuleer behavior among the Amarr)

\o/ Nikita Alterana of Risen Angels for the entry "Cold Flesh" (I was genuinely creeped out reading this one the first time)

\o/ Saikoyu for the Electus Matari for the entry "The Slaver Hounds Howled Twice" (I'm partial to stories told in noncontextualized dialogue/monologue a la "The Desert Fathers" chron, and this one hit the spot)

and

\o/ Seriphyn Inhonores of the Eleutherian Guard for the entry "Federation Peace Mission to Lirsautton" (very much like how it highlights the Jin-Mei caste/civil war that gets virtually no play in PF)

Announcements out of the way, I want to thank everyone who entered the contest.  Ahem.  Thank you, Mammal Tafren, Nikita Alterana, Lallara Zhuul, Kybernetes Moros, Ze'ev Sinraali, Arvo Katsuya, Saikoyu, Ghost Hunter, Seriphyn Inhonores, Jianni Sotaku, DeathofStars, Lyta Hawkins, Vieve Tisserand, and Matariki Rain.  Oh, and Simon Coal, who sort of entered, but didn't really.  And Ben, Graelyn and Saxon, who lurked.  This was the first time I've ever put something of this sort together and it simply wouldn't have happened without your participation.  Whether you took home a prize or not...

SPOILER ALERT!!

[spoiler]you rock.[/spoiler]  

Fly safe all, and keep writing!
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 16:07 by Ken »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: [Winners!] EVE: Iconocracy "Your Name Here" Flash Fiction
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2010, 16:35 »

Congratulations to all!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2010, 16:59 »

Oh, wow. It's a victory for Nation!

I'm going to have to start thinking of more ads for Phanta now.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2010, 17:38 »

weeee, victory
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2010, 17:39 »

Wow.  Thank you very much.  I'm very honored that you think what I wrote was that good.  Now I have to figure out how to tell EM I won something for them.  Thank you again.
Pages: [1] 2