Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Civ V  (Read 5564 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Civ V
« on: 21 Sep 2010, 07:25 »

Out today!
* Casiella does a happy dance.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Civ V
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:56 »

I expect a full review here.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:02 »

Out in EU on 24th...not sure if I Want to save money and get bonus on Steam, or get the actual pack itself on retail...

/o\

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:17 »

I expect a full review here.

Only problem is that I leave in the morning for a business trip from which I won't return until Friday, then family time... And Myrh is back... So it might be a bit. ;)

But I assume it will be ossum.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2010, 19:15 »

Pre-ordered it. Best. Civ. Ever.

There are so many refinements and factors that make Civilization 5 an incredible game, so here it goes:

The art style is beautiful; user interface and overall theme is of a sort of 1930s Futurist look, sort of Atlas Shrugged-esque fonts. I forget the actual name of the period, but it's nice. The UI is clean, not clunky so you can see most of the map, and a lot of micromanaging tasks have been streamlined, such as managing happiness for your entire empire, not each city. Also, pollution is gone.

The graphics are top-notch, filled with details that make looking at your empire a feast on the eyes. Little cows eating grass, birds on the shoreline, flying in circles, living forests. And instead of black fog-of-war, you see clouds that mask view until you explore the area. Very nice touch. Each leader now speaks their own language, and has their own set piece, which is interesting.

The music is gorgeous, mostly orchestral and minimalist pieces that change based on what time period you're in, and when you're engaging in war or not. Yeah, that's about it.

Oh, and combat isn't boring anymore. You can't stack units, so most combat takes place on actual battlefields, and with the nice animations, it's fun to watch your little guys die or succeed.

Tons of features I don't have time to writ eabout, but just get it. Multiplayer with you all will be epic.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2010, 19:36 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2010, 20:31 »

Awesome to hear. Installing now. :D

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2010, 23:59 »

After playing for about five hours today, so far my best pick is the Germans. They strike a fine line between culture and military capabilities, and their early special unit destroys any medieval ground unit that isn't a catapult.

Also, Germans are epic.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2010, 00:23 »

doublepost: Civ 5 demo is out on Steam.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2010, 17:13 »

I want it.  Can't afford it though. -_-

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2010, 21:42 »

Demo is totes awesome. I want the full game so badly.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2010, 23:08 »

We should have a backstage civ match in a few months, maybe during Christmas weekend. Whoever wins gets bragging rights.

But yeah, will take some time to master this. Still trying to find a way to get to the industrial age BEFORE the 1900.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2010, 00:00 »

For me, the joy in Civilization has always been epic single player empire construction. On any given iteration, I will go for one or two playthrus with a military victory, then one or two of other victory types. The deep joy I find in exploring the gamespace and imagining the world that has evolved just seems like it would turn into quite a different experience in multiplayer. And probably a significantly weaker one, at least for my taste.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2010, 00:54 »

For me, the joy in Civilization has always been epic single player empire construction. On any given iteration, I will go for one or two playthrus with a military victory, then one or two of other victory types. The deep joy I find in exploring the gamespace and imagining the world that has evolved just seems like it would turn into quite a different experience in multiplayer. And probably a significantly weaker one, at least for my taste.

They need to fix a few issues with Civ 5; after playing, i realized he AI needs to be heavily improved, so that they're not always aggressive. Also, better diplomacy.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2010, 03:22 »

Machines are the best diplomats.

They know what is best.

Your elimination is just a stepping stone on that path.

<___<

/goes to get demo
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2010, 05:48 »

The art style is beautiful; user interface and overall theme is of a sort of 1930s Futurist look, sort of Atlas Shrugged-esque fonts. I forget the actual name of the period, but it's nice.

Art deco?
Pages: [1] 2 3