Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your ship names.  (Read 12074 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Re: Your ship names.
« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:29 »

All of my ships' names are simple Latin words or phrases that may or may not have some tangential connection to their purpose. When I eventually crosstrain Caldari or something, I might start up a second naming scheme for their hulls to keep them distinct from the Amarr ones I currently fly... not sure yet; something about the Amarr hulls just fits Latin, in my eyes. Anyway, names:

Harbinger I - Quid Pro Quo (seemed fitting for agent work -- 'Something for Something')
Harbinger II - Libera Oni (I got this one for free -- hence 'Free of Charge')
Harbinger III - Mane Niveus (this particular named seems apt given the direction Kyber's RP has gone in the past few months -- 'Snowy Morning')

Apocalypse I - Magis Pro Magi (figured that if the Quid Pro Quo was to be used for L3 mission running, it'd be appropriate to use a similar name for its replacement ship in L4s -- 'Something More for Something More')
Apocalypse II - Vivere Conare (following the hangover-induced destruction of the first Apocalypse, this seemed fitting -- 'Try to Stay Alive')
Apocalypse III - Contra Lethargatis (seeing how well the previous Apocalypse lived up to its name, I found myself in need of yet another and, similarly to my third Harbinger, recent-ish RP suggested this to me -- 'Against the Indifferent')

Anathema - Pretereo Dissimulatus (while I can't actually fly a CovOps yet, this works with the ship's function perfectly once I can -- 'I Pass by Unnoticed')
Crusader - Dederem Consulationem (kinda ties in with both recent RP and the fact that I had a tough time deciding which out of Interceptors and CovOpss to train first -- 'I've Given it Full Consideration')

And then we have the shuttles. Oh, God; shuttles everywhere (and that's not even taking into account that stack of 99 Amarr Shuttles I found while doing the Minmatar epic arc that I have no recollection of purchasing). My shuttles all follow a simple naming scheme: Nuntius (Latin for 'messenger') followed by Roman numerals to indicate what number shuttle that is. I've gone through Nuntius I to Nuntius LIV, now, with the odd gap in the collection for ones that I've palmed off on other people, or more accurately another person. Fifty-four shuttles scattered across highsec, then a stack of 99 mystery Amarr Shuttles in Aldrat. That can't be healthy, can it?

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:28 »

I use this mainly. Some are 1 character too long, which is annoying.

All of my shuttles are called FITTINGS POLICE though.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:34 »

Damn, I post, go to bed, go to work, come back to three pages.... (Working Saturdays sucks ass)

I do find it really interesting how people name their ships. I use separate names for ships of the same class, unless it's a replacement, like a Rokh I once lost called Hachiman I named the replacement Hachiman II

People who use languages other than English aren't something I see often on my travels either. I'm moving away from it because of never really knowing if I get the translation correct, which constantly bugs me. Nothing worse than thinking the name is something cool, when it could really be something nonsensical  :evil:
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 18 Sep 2010, 13:24 »

Something disappoint to me is that character names are displayed in space and on the overview by default.  I think it would make it more interesting to have ship names be the default/standard.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2010, 15:38 »

Something disappoint to me is that character names are displayed in space and on the overview by default.  I think it would make it more interesting to have ship names be the default/standard.

Uuuh.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2010, 15:40 »

Until all the childish ones come about naming their ships all kinds of vulgar crap. The character names that are vulgar or offensive get deleted for a reason.

I'd LOVE for this to be standard too, but frankly the reality of the player-base denies it.

Same way I'd love having two small sections of every single ship model be reserved for Corp emblems, but that would demand a bit more of a strain in the servers, also denying it's use.

Plumb

• Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2010, 17:32 »

My ship naming convention is based on certain themes. Each time I buy a batch of new ships, I give each batch a particular theme. When i first moved to Ghost Festival I named my ships after the GSV's from the Culture novels by Iain M Banks, e.g. 'Jaundiced Outlook', 'Irregular Apocalypse', 'Shoot Them Later' and 'Kiss the Blade' for a few examples. My latest batch were named after the Hovercraft from the Matrix 'Logos', 'Nebuchadnezzar', 'Mjolnir' and 'Osiris'. Single ships I usuall give hard sounding martial names like 'Warpsite' or 'The Hammer of Dawn'.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2010, 00:41 »

Mines pretty simple I use this for all the names. Its a corp rule that all of them have ✖<---this in front of the name for D-Scan purposes on roams.

Some of the ones I have assembled currently:

Harpy - Bakeneko
Hawk - Chochinobake
Buzzard - Chokozetsu
Blackbird - Aoandon
Crow - Ameonna
Manticore - Kubikajiri
Vengeance - Bakezori
Crusader - Aketeko
Malediction - Inugami
Purifier - Kyokotsu
Enyo - Amanozako, Ashimagari
Ishkur - Ikiryo
Taranis - Jatai
Nemesis - Enenra

Shuttles and other ships I dont really use much like my hauler are all called Onryo.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:09 »

For small frigates I tend to use ship registration codes, ie TES CS-3 is a Crusader (my third one) and TES MD-2 is a Malediction.

Punisher hulls are named after plants, mainly flowers, ie TES Chrysanthemum, TES Rhododendron
Inquisitor hulls are named after insects, ie TES Sandfly, TES Locust

Coercer hulls start with a B, ie TES Bulwark, TES Bounty

Auguror hulls start with a C, ie TES Castle, TES Charity
Arbitrator hulls start with an S, ie TES Spectre, TES Swiftsure
Omen hulls start with a D, ie TES Daring, TES Dauntless
Maller hulls start with an A ie TES Agile, TES Ardent

Prophecy hulls start with an I, ie TES Indefatigable, TES Inflexible
Harbinger hulls start with an E, ie TES Excellent, TES Errant

Armageddon hulls have gold-based names, ie TES Heart of Gold, TES Golden Glory
Apocalypse hulls start with a T or are named after past Emperors or Heirs, ie TES Temeraire, TES Temal Kador
Abaddon hulls start with an O, ie TES Obdurate, TES Onslaught

My Archon is called TES Ark Imperial.

Many of these names are also the names of past or present Royal Navy ships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Navy_ship_names).

TES stands for The Empress' Ship

« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2010, 03:18 by Rodj Blake »

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:14 »

Crucifix Glitch

Heh.  Good novel; the mockumentary about reinventing the vampire was bliss.

I don't think I have an actual naming scheme.  About half my ships are named in Sanskrit gibberish based primarily on what I think sounds cool.  The rest are named whatever I feel like:  a salvage Cat named 'Eight-Legged Freak', a Myrm named 'Humble Student' because I got the first one blown up in a mission, a Viator named 'Mass Transit' because puns amuse me, etc.  I'm naming all my battleships after Gallente rp corps that didn't make it.  I fear (and expect) the day I name a ship 'Grass Spider'.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2010, 17:13 »

Mines pretty simple I use this for all the names.

I used to do this when I was still using Japanese names....Well, that, and an online translator that I'm not sure gave me what I was always looking for...
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2010, 08:11 »

Mine all start with "Trinity's ...."

It is a reference to the Mashtori, which I won't spoil for people who want to do a bit of digging or are bored  ;)

eg.

Trinity's Blade - Crusader
Trinity's Sword - Ex-Armageddon
Trinity's Shield - Drake
Trinity's Aura - Absolution
Trinity's Burden - Bestower
Trinity's Armour - Guadian
Trinity's Pride - Archon (<3)

I haven't renamed my Paladin as it uses a custom name from before the Mashtori

Fyren Imperialis - Its Latin, but considering the development of Amaarad I might have to change it to that soon™

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:27 »

There are many systematic naming schemes here. My ship names are more whimsical:
  • a pair of Stilettos called "Left Heel" and "Right Heel"
  • a Hurricane called "Ampallang" ("Shaft Ampallang", while more apt, seemed a bit TMI)
  • a Wolf called "Gunn's Horse".

That character also flew and lost a series of Stabbers called "Bodkin".

Kimochi Rendar

• Clonejack
« Reply #43 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:56 »

Curse: Midnight Embrace
For me, it invokes thoughts of darkness closing over - kinda like how neutralizers suck all the energy out of a ship, silencing it.

Harbinger: Nova Flow
Actually an assault rifle from Anarchy Online... I picked the name because it sounds cool.

Sacrilege: Dark Angel
This one was a gift from my friends in PRETA, so it felt fitting to give it an angel-themed name.

Zealot: Seraphim's Tears
Again, because it sounds cool.

Anathema: Onyx Lens
Onyx because it's Khanid. Lens because it observes people.

Absolution: Sister of Mercy
This one is meant to be ironic, since it does a ridiculous amount of DPS...

Armageddon: Dead Reckoning
I had to think this name up real quick - like, on the way to a POS bash op. Dead Reckoning has a delightfully final feeling to it.

Damnation: Dominatrix
Because it's shiny and black and makes ships more effective just by being there. :3

Paladin: Ace of Skulls
I'll give ten million isk to the first person who can tell me where this is from and what it's significance is!
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2010, 11:59 by Kimochi Rendar »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2010, 15:43 »

From an Iphone game called Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night.

It's a rare card, I'd think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5