Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Suggestion: The Apocryphal Library  (Read 3958 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Forum Suggestion: The Apocryphal Library
« on: 10 Sep 2010, 23:16 »

I propose we add a new section under "RP Discussion & Resources" entitled "The Apocryphal Library" to house all of the player-generated and universe-expanding posts/infodumps.  (<< Ack, too many of hyphens!)  That is, things such as this, this, this, or this.  Our (growing!) retinue of language projects would also find a home there. 

Essentially, I feel that our expository works should be kept separate from the blogs and narratives.  Also makes it easier to research what has already been done and what parts of the universe we've fleshed out enough to be put to good use.  As it is, these things are spread out between the "Player Driven Fiction" and "EVE Fiction + Fiction Discussion" forums with some outliers even further afield. 

Thoughts?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Forum Suggestion: The Apocryphal Library
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2010, 23:47 »

Someplace for like, all of the stuff that is player created pieces of the world, as opposed to stories or dicussions of events or what have you?

The 'Player Driven Content' section is meant to serve that purpose, in part. I think there is clearly enough of the type of content you are talking about for it to have a forum. What I would be concerned about is whether there is enough other content that the 'Player Driven Content' section would pretty much die?

Would changing the description a bit to indicate that all stuff that is essentially player created world building should go in the Player Driven Content section be sufficient, do you think? Is there enough 'other' stuff that the PDC and another section dealing solely with world building stuff would both have content? Or would most of the stuff from the PDC section just migrate?

I mean, at a glance, it looks like most of the stuff currently in there would end up in the new section. That's why I wonder if just rejiggering the description to make it explicit that that is where that stuff goes (rather than the fiction section) along with the occasional event stuff wouldn't be sufficient.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2010, 08:16 »

The player driven content section seems to have evolved into a place for group RP, artwork, and things like that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:50 »

Well, Silver, your intro to Player Driven Content starts with "Planning a big event?"  A particular place to brainstorm, organize, advertise, and drive in-game RP events is useful and the need for such a place isn't going to go away if we take world building stuff out of that forum (about half of what's in there on the front page from what I can see).  Maybe I can explain my suggestion better... 

The distinctions I'd like to make really come down to active vs. passive and then expository vs. narrative content.

I'd like to see one place for your occasional writing contests, advertising a new RP bar, things like Shepherd's New Eden Assembly, or the build-an-AI thing NeuroGEN had going on a while back (PDC: the active content forum), one place for updating us on blog posts or putting a new short story out there (EVE Fic: the passive, narrative content forum), and another for Saxon's missives on the Idama and the Intaki colonies, descriptions of New Eden living quarters, and the language projects (Library: the passive, expository content forum).

If you're open to renaming things, I'd rename "EVE Fiction + Fiction Discussion" to "Narratives, Blogs & Story Development" and call "Player Driven Content" something like "Events, Initiatives & Contests".  That leaves a nice little conceptual hole for "The Unofficial Library" (or 'apocryphal'  :)) to counterpoint "CCP Public Library".

I really do think there's room here for three divisions.  The forum is still growing, after all, but it's your call in the end.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2010, 16:05 »

According to the Mordu's Legion chron Caldari war vetrans were given land in exchange for service.  There might be some connection to SuVee's land ownership and that.   This thought popped into my mind because there is a Suvee station in Kamokor.    I imagine that non-megacorp owned real-estate, especially in core systems, is really valuable and that could mean that some of the descendants of those war vets are really rich.   

Perhaps many of the private share holders of Patriot corporations (maybe others too) are the descendants of those vets.  There did seem to be a theme of powerful controlling families among the patriot corporations at least as well as a tradition of military service and reverence for the military.

SuVee it's self could possiblly run a lot of trust fund type corporation that manage these lands for war vets and other land owners. 

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2010, 16:12 »

Meant to go in the SuVee thread?

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:16 »

Okay, so I'm close to finishing another Intaki Colony write up. But now I'm confused on where it's supposed to go.

Clarification please?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2010, 22:20 »

In EVE Fiction + Fiction Discussion until Silver Night relents and makes us a new sub-forum.  :twisted:

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2010, 18:33 »

You know, the existing set-up is good enough for now, I think. Your categorical division schema is sort of arbitrary, actually - would Four Questions go into expository content or narrative content? Would the stories written about my ill-fated conference in the Summit a few months ago containing in-character summations of it's inception and events be active or passive, if it was regularly updated? What if someone wanted to give us event updates about active content on a blog or RSS?

These categories are no better than the existing ones, I'm afraid, and about the only non-arbitrary way to do it, I expect, would be to work to bring everything completely into character somehow - but this might just make everything completely impossible to categorize.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:13 »

Oh, Ashar, you party pooper.  :P

I don't think my distinctions are quite so baseless as to be considered arbitrary, but I've probably failed to articulate their limits as well as I'd like.  The forums aren't falling apart at the moment.  So, you're right in that things are working well enough under the current set up.  Let me put this out there as a secondary solution that would make me almost as happy: create a sticky in the EVE Fic subforum to track all the world-building threads on the Backstage (anything that falls into my passive expository category).  We can leave everything swimming out in the big thread soup bowls of PDC and EVE Fic as long as there's a little line running out to each of those various threads.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:18 »

Would you like to create a thread to be made into such a sticky? That way you can manage it, and so can the various mods.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:28 »

Can do.  Just worry that I might drop off the face of the earth for weeks at a time and it'll lie fallow.  Still, since I seem to be the one most concerned about this...

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:33 »

Well, the idea is that whoever creates it will be able to help the mods maintain it - not be solely responsible. Sort of like some of the stickies Misan made. (Some of which, admittedly, are due for updating.)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:36 »

Well, the idea is that whoever creates it will be able to help the mods maintain it - not be solely responsible.

Gotcha.  Posted.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #14 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:55 »

glue applied
Pages: [1] 2