Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That one of the primary exports of the Amarrian Theology Council is booze? (Theology Council in-game info, Market Activity tab).

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Jita 4-4 AKA Best chron ever  (Read 12227 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: [Chronicle] Jita 4-4 AKA Best chron ever
« Reply #15 on: 07 Sep 2010, 09:50 »

In the thread: people taking an obviously unreliable first person narrator as gospel.

Yes, I did notice that, and there are areas where we'd need to factor that in. But that doesn't mean the whole thing should be viewed as "oh it was just a dream". It means we need to pay attention to detail, that's all. :)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 07 Sep 2010, 14:27 »

First, great chron.

Second, about the soft clone issue, I would say this proves that it is possible, just expensive.  The key is in the last few lines I think.  For the moment of podding, the capulseer exists only as data.  And the thing about data is that it is static.  Therefore, it can be saved.  So, even if you want to buy into the idea that a brain scan destroys the brain (which I think is menctioned in a chron someplace), all you have to do is pod yourself, and then save the data that comes in.  Easy enough if you have money to bribe the techs, or have your own clone bay.  Then, go out and get killed if you have too, and when you are confirmed dead, whoever is working for you brings out your clone, uploads the saved data, and you are left mildly confused, and possibably much much richer. 

Third, I think most of this is meant as an incarna teaser.  They already hinted at it in the incarna trailers with some things you need to get done in person, off the record. 

Fourth, I think there is a clue to the sleeper mistery in here, as well as what we might be doing in Incarna.  I haven't hread anything about this C3 drug, so I will assume that it is not on the market as a drug.  The chron menctions what if we never came back to a body.  And this C3 drug can compartimalize our minds.  So, let us follow a possible trail for this capulseer backwards to the rim where she came from.  Let us say 0.0 space.  Maybe she has a supercarrier or Titan she flies.  But think, she doesn't need all the information about piloting and shield operations to go on a trip like this, probably doesn't even need anything she learned in pod pilot school if she just takes shuttles to Jita, and it sounds like she doesn't have a ship there.  So, using this drug, she stored all that data, and hopped out of her pod in the equivalent of an alpha clone.  That one clone can store our life story before we became capsulers, I doubt a few more years would strain it.  And she goes off to Jita, knowing that if something does happen, so can just reclone, and then plug her skills back in.  And since this is the only body wandering around, there are not multiple clones, which are against the law.  Of course, what do we care for laws?

But here is the interesting part.  Those skills she leaves behind in her ship.  Would it just sit there, or could it run the ship while the body was gone.  Without a human drive, it might be a robot, but a very well skilled robot, with knowledge of every fleet engagement, every skirmish the pilot had ever been in.  There are theories that the sleepers did something like this, becoming the data that runs their ships.  Maybe we are about to do the same. 

Anyway, my take on this stuff.  However CCP plays it, it is a good story.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 07 Sep 2010, 14:37 »

I think most of this is meant as an incarna teaser.  They already hinted at it in the incarna trailers with some things you need to get done in person, off the record. 

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 08 Sep 2010, 09:20 »

I liked it.

It meandered a bit near the middle, but still, full of great info.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #20 on: 08 Sep 2010, 13:02 »

I liked it.

It meandered a bit near the middle, but still, full of great info.

I thought that too, it was very stream of consciousness, drifting thoughts that didn't quite flow as well as they should have.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #21 on: 08 Sep 2010, 22:22 »

Finally read it, and well. Shit hot.

Edit: Someone needs to go through and tease all of the snippets of direct PF info out of there, too. Foods and animals and things.  :D

Unreliable narrators or not, there is some stuff in there that it is probably safe to say is usable.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 09 Sep 2010, 07:01 »

Edit: Someone needs to go through and tease all of the snippets of direct PF info out of there, too. Foods and animals and things.  :D

I will be incorporating the Gallente/Caldari stuff into an update to my Fed guide at some point.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:52 »

Two thumbs up... very enjoyable =D

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2010, 04:23 »

For the moment of podding, the capulseer exists only as data.  And the thing about data is that it is static.  Therefore, it can be saved. 

This is a bit off topic but shoot, I haven't had my brekkies yet.

At the moment of podding the information that is scanned from your brain is already in the clone.
The whole thing works with the fluid router pairs that react to things across unimaginable distances simultaneuosly. There is no space between the scan and the burning, they happen at the same time.
At least in regular PC situation.

Therefore there is no infomorph.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2010, 05:02 »

For the moment of podding, the capulseer exists only as data.  And the thing about data is that it is static.  Therefore, it can be saved.  

This is a bit off topic but shoot, I haven't had my brekkies yet.

At the moment of podding the information that is scanned from your brain is already in the clone.
The whole thing works with the fluid router pairs that react to things across unimaginable distances simultaneuosly. There is no space between the scan and the burning, they happen at the same time.
At least in regular PC situation.

Therefore there is no infomorph.
The pod-end fluid router is not the scanner, the vat-end fluid router is not the writer. There has to be an electronic transmission between the scanning equipment and the transmission system, and from the transmission system into the fresh clone.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 05:10 by Horatius Caul »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2010, 06:55 »

The cranium is constructed by seeding this gel structure (heavily impregnated with nutrients and inactivated growth factors) with nerve cells and glia, in accordance with information from the brain scan. Bound to the growth factors are molecular receptors that are coupled (using the well known FTL-communication technology) to molecules placed in the customer's burning scanner. After seeding, the gel structure is suspended until the final moment of the original. As the burning scan is made, the molecules bound to the inactivated growth factors become unstable and cause activation of the growth factors by cleavage. The activation is an exothermic process which produces sufficient heat to melt pathways into the gel model of the brain. Thus dendrite paths in the model will be the same as in the original's brain, their growth fuelled by the activated growth factors

Fluid routers work with molecule pairs that resonate at the same time.
Something happens to the other, then something happens to the other.
The fluid routers in the pod that are connected to your burning scanner are directly connected to the ones that are in the gel that forms your brain in the clone.
There is no transmissions involved that could be copied.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2010, 13:00 »

Well, you'd have to take it up with Dropbear. I mean, according to current physics, you can't use quantum entanglement to communicate information at all. I kinda figure, their made-up communication system, their rules.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2010, 14:33 »

Whether or not the transmissions could be copied, per se, quantum communication still involves data. Our current understanding makes eavesdropping on this data difficult (think Heisenberg). The trick with any security system, including quantum crypto, usually lies in the implementation rather than the theory -- data gets leaked all over the place, which is where most crypto attacks "in the wild" occur.

In theory, theory and practice are identical, but in practice, they're totally different.

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2010, 14:53 »

:bash:
Pages: 1 [2] 3