Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DUST tech and Capsuleers... Lackeys, Access, CONCORD, feasability?  (Read 4558 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

A few items up for debate or if you know of PF rulings please share!

1. Many of us keep a good number of baseliner troops for various RP purposes.  Sometimes our own plots or interactions with other characters require some 'on the ground' action or 'in ship' fighting, etc.  Mostly these take the form of marines, etc, but of course plenty of us have special lackeys (Cyberknights, or True Slave sorts of troops, etc).

How does DUST tech fit in here? Is anyone using DUST tech bound by CONCORD? If that's the case we likely couldn't keep our own personal caches of dusties for our own uses, right? Are dusties limited to combat only in facwar areas, etc? What's the PF here?

2 Capsuleers and DUST:  Portable consciousness xfer out of the pod seems awfully enticing...  Capsuleer immortals might be extremely interested in closing the loophole on their major vulnerability (dying outside of the pod is permadeath for that instance of the consciousness)...   Do we get access? Are any of you going to go this route? What's the PF?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I should add my inclination is the tech is likely quite overpowered for RP purposes.  All of us having our own immortal little shock troops...

Guess we'll see where the PF goes and how many of them there are...

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

At work and cant remember the exact PF, but I distinctly remember that capsuleer and Dust trooper tech are mutually exclusive.  Have to be one or the other.

Ill try to find it later if you want.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

2 Capsuleers and DUST:  Portable consciousness xfer out of the pod seems awfully enticing...  Capsuleer immortals might be extremely interested in closing the loophole on their major vulnerability (dying outside of the pod is permadeath for that instance of the consciousness)...   Do we get access? Are any of you going to go this route? What's the PF?

The way I RP it, even death in the pod is permadeath for that instance of consciousness. So it really wouldn't matter.

And yeah, I don't think the two technologies are remotely compatible.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

The way I RP it, even death in the pod is permadeath for that instance of consciousness. So it really wouldn't matter.

Really?

So every time you clone jump you are suiciding?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

The problem is likely that you would clone twice when you die inside the pod if you had both implants. Your pod would scan you out, and your sleeper tech would also clone you out... and having two clones at the same time is something CONCORD really hates. The Empires may not have the technology to 'turn off' the sleeper tech while inside the Capsule, thus preventing us from being allowed to use it.

As for having your own DUST troops... I think it's fairly legitimate to operate our own DUST troops. We can, after all, hire them to attack planetary installations. What's stopping us from hiring them to simply protect us?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Really?

So every time you clone jump you are suiciding?

pod-jump, wherein you self destruct your pod for travel yes. I don't buy that thing about how when you clone jump they carefully destroy your body and pick the implants out, because if that's the case, they should be able to not reintegrate the implants so we can resell them or somesuch.

But yeah, my character's kind of a nihilist, and is casually suicidal a lot of the time.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jev North

As for having your own DUST troops... I think it's fairly legitimate to operate our own DUST troops. We can, after all, hire them to attack planetary installations. What's stopping us from hiring them to simply protect us?
I don't know. Feels a bit funny; DUST troops are important enough to be PCs. Nobody I know is going around claiming to have a personal contingent of NPC capsuleers to follow them around either.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I don't know. Feels a bit funny; DUST troops are important enough to be PCs. Nobody I know is going around claiming to have a personal contingent of NPC capsuleers to follow them around either.

Exactly, we don't go around claiming to have capsuleer bodyguards as those are generally player characters

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod

Exactly, we don't go around claiming to have capsuleer bodyguards as those are generally player characters

Just because we don't do it with Capsuleers does not mean it can't be done. Capsuleer servants are of limited utility to most of us anyways, being a bit redundant. A DUST soldier would not be.

What is stopping us from creating our own DUST soldiers, or an entire DUST soldier corporation, and dedicating them to our capsuleer's protection?

I'll be frank. I intend to do this with one of my NPCs, and he will eventually be reflected inside Dust 514 once I get a Ps3 (or the game releases on PC). If people have a problem with it, tough tinsel. It's not like any of you were planning to make a serious go at my character's life anyways, so what does it matter if she has a private DUST bodyguard?

Jev North

What is stopping us from creating our own DUST soldiers, or an entire DUST soldier corporation, and dedicating them to our capsuleer's protection?

The same thing that, say, keeps me from claiming Anshar Incorporated is a mighty corporation capable of fielding large fleets of capsuleers; the need to actually produce that fleet of capsuleers when the chips are down. DUSTies are PC entities that will have significant pull in the game world. I expect that making them up by the dozen will not go over well with the RP public at large.

I'll be frank. I intend to do this with one of my NPCs, and he will eventually be reflected inside Dust 514 once I get a Ps3 (or the game releases on PC). If people have a problem with it, tough tinsel. It's not like any of you were planning to make a serious go at my character's life anyways, so what does it matter if she has a private DUST bodyguard?
Well, one guy's a lot more legit, especially if he is / will be one of your own alts.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2013, 11:38 by Jev North »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Right, if they are PCs I'd want to see them represented in game if claimed, just like I can only claim as many capsuleers in my corp as is verifiable for the most part.

My other question is more with the tech and CONCORD restrictions.

Do they control the respawning? If a DUST soldier opens fire in the middle of a street on a highsec planet does CONCORD revoke their respawn?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Because if CONCORD does NOT regulate this, you better believe we'd all have a few hundred of these guys strapped with suicide bombs on a conveyer belt of respawn attacking highsec interests.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod

As far as I understand, DUST cloning is much shorter range and is provided by an on-site 'respawn' location. Either an APC with vats inside, like in the book, or on an overhead War Barge, I guess. So, It's not quite as strongly regulated as Capsuleers, I would assume.

If you can get that APC near said city, you can still respawn. But that's my guess.

The same thing that, say, keeps me from claiming Anshar Incorporated is a mighty corporation capable of fielding large fleets of capsuleers; the need to actually produce that fleet of capsuleers when the chips are down. DUSTies are PC entities that will have significant pull in the game world. I expect that making them up by the dozen will not go over well with the RP public at large.

Ahh, see I was misunderstanding. I thought you were saying we can't dedicate DUST soldiers to our Capsuleers, because there aren't any Capsuleers dedicated to protecting other Capsuleers. Or something.

I was not justifying creating a phantom DUST corp that "attacks your captains quarters, hitting for 63,254 damage." that would be silly.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

It's a good conversation, I'm just seeing where people are at before we get some see-re-us 'urdoingitwrong'  from left and right when so and so claims to have 100 dust soldiers doing their every bidding, etc. and so and so says 'no way not possible!'
Pages: [1] 2 3