Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Summit RP - does anyone actually care about IC discussions of PF anymore?  (Read 14381 times)

Arkady Sadik

• Egger

EDIT: To make this a more general topic: what do people actually think of this? I always found RP that refused anything not explicitly stated in PF kind of stale, given PF's currently relatively narrow scope

It depends a lot.

Making up something that applies to some small group somewhere is awesome and useful.

Making up something that applies to galatic events or should have a major impact is pretty annoying to me.

For example, we recommend new Minmatar RPers to make up stuff about their clan - customs, rituals, festivities, quirks, etc. - but never about their tribe. "My clan has this custom that we ..." is great. "There is this Sebiestor custom that ..." is not.

I was once asked on a public channel whether Arkady knows some "Sebiestor customs regarding XYZ". I went OOC and told that there is no PF on Sebiestor customs, and I surely will not invent some - but if there are some, Arkady would know them most likely. I can't simply invent them, because that would force every other Sebiestor to either accept my idea of "Sebiestor custom" or simply contradicting Arkady, saying that Arkady has no idea about "Sebiestor custom". Inventing something about a clan would have been perfectly fine.

I wouldn't talk about "Gallente fashion" as a whole, but it's perfectly cool to talk about that fashion show back on your home planet. (Well, fashion is inconsequential enough not to matter either way, but for the sake of argument here...)

I think the dispute between the two of you is mostly about the scale of news. There are some differences and discussions (e.g. what proportion of slaves was *really* released in the emancipation act, to mention a recent topic) that players can not simply make up. CCP has to put out the PF for that. On the other hand, minor stuff should be made up by players. That's what we're here for after all. (Preferably also news that actually happen in space, not just on IGS...)

There's also some weird RP thing going on that I have not yet understood, about players simply making up scientific research or evidence, presenting it as such, and then hoping CCP accepts it (Sansha/w-space related stuff). Seems to be "normal" to some, but the concept is totally alien to me. I haven't really understood it, either, so I can't even describe what I mean that well :-|

Kybernetes Moros

I agree with the general message -- it's why I specifically mentioned small aspects of small chunks; saying "the Sanmatar recently released a statement saying x" or whatever is far from that.

I also tend to get a bit confused at the idea of a lot of Arek'jaalan "research" in particular; the things that are, IC, testable, but of course from an OOC angle not, just often seem to me like people inventing figures and results and seeing if CCP rolls with it. The stuff that's more hypothesising, that's fine: there's little difference between what's done OOC and IC there.

Lyn Farel

How can a free library in Yulai allowing people to read and discuss of everything they want as long as that remains a discussion (and not a heated debate) be something else than neutral ?

Does the library allow people to bring their slaves and Khumaaks?

It is a virtual place, but yes.

Then, it is moderated on a case by case basis, which is not perfectly neutral (it just cant be). So if we are speaking of something neutral (100% pure absolute neutral), ofc, I do not think you can create anything that is, be it in real life or whatever. Neutral is a rather vague word.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people

I guess I don't see why news has to be vast, game changing stuff (hell, I found that to be a problem with a lot of CCP's later news items) -- and I certainly wasn't making a strawman as highlighting where I was finding confusion. v0v

EDIT: To make this a more general topic: what do people actually think of this? I always found RP that refused anything not explicitly stated in PF kind of stale, given PF's currently relatively narrow scope -- of course, YMMV. Part of the fun for me is taking the constraints of PF and what's already known, along with a small aspect of a small piece of a huge universe, and playing around to see what can be come up with.

Yeah fair enough.
I'm usually content with discussing capsuleer events IC instead of inventing planetary goings-on to start conversation for the small-scale stuff. I miss the wider storyline progressing. Live events are ok but aren't exactly catholic in their scope.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger

Summit RP - does anyone actually care about IC discussions of PF anymore?
No, the Summit is not the right place for those. Small group conversations and many-to-many communication work differently. Try other channels.

Kybernetes Moros

No, the Summit is not the right place for those. Small group conversations and many-to-many communication work differently. Try other channels.

I don't think there's any reason the Summit can't be used for RP that plays with EVE's universe more -- and "try other channels" is an awkward thing. Lots of the ones that might be of interest to my character, say, are like drawing blood from a stone when it comes to stirring conversation in, regrettably. The New Eden Assembly isn't a bad example, in that it had a brief surge of activity but now seems to be largely quiet again.

The ones that my character wouldn't be especially interested in, I can't comment much on, but I don't hear particularly favourable things about those channels, at least as regards activity.

Long story short, "why not?". A lot of people seem to be assuming that PF is only the vast, sweeping, political ideas. What's wrong with discussing individual levels of individual stations, using PF as a starting point, for instance?

Bastian Valoron

• Egger

Long story short, "why not?".
The Summit has a large following, it's more like a meeting nexus. In a sizeable group of people, it has been observed that sex talk, group think and vilification of external enemies always emerge, like others in this thread have described. So I think it's ultimately a question of scale. The kind of PF discussion I understand is being longed for here works best in small groups and that's where I would go looking for it.

When it comes to the awkwardness of the small channels - well if no one is running them, they do tend to get silent. When I think about the small channels I know to be active, it's not difficult to name the characters who are putting in the effort to keep them vibrant. So instead of trying to turn the cacophony of the Summit into something more intimate, why not actually take one's energy and topics to the small group of people one wants to discuss with in the first place?

Kybernetes Moros

Because, as I said, these mysterious public but small-following channels where input actually reliably elicits responses seem to have gone under my radar altogether.

Hamish Grayson

I take full blame for Heiian's slow decline.  :oops:

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

I still enjoy it, on the rare occasions I'm around.  (Er, Maris does, anyway. It's a refuge from The Summit.)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Heiian definitely does bring back some fun memories.

Like the time Seri got booted and complained about Morwen not being removed despite her being a pirate. xD
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

You can't take all the blame.  Just have not had time between RL and LDIS to get anything really going with Heiian.   A lesson learned is that non-corp/allaince Organizations really need leadership other than actual corp CEOs.

Granted this is slightly tagent to the original discussion.

Heiian definitely does bring back some fun memories.

Like the time Seri got booted and complained about Morwen not being removed despite her being a pirate. xD
Heiian is an IC channel with IC rules and reactions.  I, the player of Dex Nederland, operate the Heiian College (and Congress) through the character Dex Nederland.  Dex Nederland is a founder of the Heiian Society.   If I stop playing Dex Nederland, I stop operating the Heiian College.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Long story short, "why not?". A lot of people seem to be assuming that PF is only the vast, sweeping, political ideas. What's wrong with discussing individual levels of individual stations, using PF as a starting point, for instance?

Well, there's not.  I enjoy those kind of IC interactions.  But why would my character discuss such things with diplomatic contacts, political enemies, or sociopathic criminals (the way he views the vast majority of people on the Summit)?  Why would anybody? 

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Kybernetes Moros

Well, there's not.  I enjoy those kind of IC interactions.  But why would my character discuss such things with diplomatic contacts, political enemies, or sociopathic criminals (the way he views the vast majority of people on the Summit)?  Why would anybody?

There are plenty of characters capable of being polite and cordial with people they find generally despicable. I just found it odd for someone to go "the Summit is not the place for it" rather than "the Summit is only sometimes suitable for it, for different characters". v0v

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

What they need to do is fire TonyG, scrap all current narrative plans and build a new one from the ground up that makes a damn lick of sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7