Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Federal member states retain control of their home systems, as seen exercised here?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Your opinions on the appropriateness of this gesture, please.  (Read 15295 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Miz, it could also be that you just see a vocal minority. ;) After all, the sorts of folks who don't want to cuddle with their enemies might very well choose to avoid sites like Backstage... ;)

Kaleigh Doyle

Let's put it this way, I'd prefer the opportunity to have a positive, quality interaction with an adversary that gives me a chance to develop my character, rather than simply ignoring them entirely for the sake of 'roleplay purity'. Obviously, that depends on who my enemies are and in what way they challenge me, and that can vary from player to player.

Lyn Farel

There's no real consequences for choosing to align yourself with factions that are fairly universally reviled and no real support in the community for having to contend with the repercussions of such choices.

Who spoke about aligning with faction that are fairly universally reviled ? I think there is a big misunderstanding somewhere. :eek:

Could also define huggly/cuddly RP too ?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

There's no real consequences for choosing to align yourself with factions that are fairly universally reviled and no real support in the community for having to contend with the repercussions of such choices.

Who spoke about aligning with faction that are fairly universally reviled ? I think there is a big misunderstanding somewhere. :eek:

Could also define huggly/cuddly RP too ?

Did anyone mention how shittily hard it can be to recruit to the 'reviled' factions? :P

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger

Well, if there's a positive development that has come from all of this, its that we seem to have quite certainly dispelled the myth that Gal/Cal RP has a greater capacity for interesting diversity and internal conflicts :9.

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker

To me it boils down entirely to who I wish to interact to enhance my enjoyment of the game and my character's life. If the character is interesting to me in an ooc perspective I'll definitely not restrict my interactions with him / her because of ic supposed purity.
This said, I do run a line of rp where Elitism is highlighted which surprisingly works well because it matches the definition above, generally the social interactions that Revan has are the characters which I ooc find interesting to interact with.
As per the fact of being ic enemies or friends or whatever else, it's the least important and restriction because of such things do result in loss of very interesting role play.
A good example of that could be the Empire channels years back in the golden times when it was totally ic and wonderful discussions, debates and even events and wars would rise with enemies and friends alike in a single venue without any tainted prejudice.
Also I can see this at the ic venue that I run in game the Midnight Opera. I operate my channels always on blocked mode and invite only basis which automatically ensures that I keep the level of interaction I seek. Surprisingly enough most of the guests lists are always filled with at least 50% of capsuleers whose alignment are negative towards Sani Sabik, a good bit as well comprises of capsuleers of null sec entities many would frown upon and obviously many mercenaries of all paths of life.
Sounds like a good blend for a disaster but in fact this very blend has made some of the most interesting role play interactions and situations rising with space consequence and that makes the game and role playing a pleasing experience to all involved.
And ultimately that's what everyone is seeking, in their own ways.
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Saikoyu

• Omelette

TLDR since I ramble.  I don't see anything wrong with our version of detente and having enemies at the same parties, espically open events.  I don't think anyone is getting a "free ride" OOC, or rather everyone is.  I'm (IC) anti-slavery and anti-pirate, but I've gone to The Last Gate and I know other people who are anti-pirate have as well.  I've seen Gallente and Minmatar in Amarrian and Caldari hangouts, even during the war, and the opposite of course.  So, if someone has a problem, just make it IC and sit back and watch the fireworks.  Seriphyn is no different from the hard liners in every other faction who shout death to <INSERT NAME HERE>.  The rest of us shrug and nod, and get back to pumping our dates for information.  Reasons below.

I don't think I've seen anyone in this topic make this point yet, so I'll spit it out.  I think people are looking at this too much like we would in real life.  If we go to a party, we'd be upset if <insert RL enemy group here> also showed up, espically if they had tried to kill us before.  But EvE isn't real life, and our characters are not who we are. 

When I started getting into RP, ICly I did stick to people mostly in my faction/allignment because why would I pall around with my enemy?  Then ICly, a fellow pilot (Takitoo if anyone else knows her), pointed out that because we were capsullers the rules are different for us.  We travel around, never dying, never being in a place that wouldn't kill us if we tried anything, and we don't have any real need to fear being with our enemies.  CONCORD or something similar is always there watching us and everyone else, so we smile and nod at our enemies, maybe even dance and wine and dine them.  She said it better (this was a few years ago), but hopefully I get to point across.

Or think of it like this.  Its also like the cold war with the US and Russia.  the US didn't nuke Russia because Russia would nuke the US right back.  I don't walk into PIE headquarters and set off a bomb on their clones, or hire someone to do it becuase (IC) that would be the end of it.  PIE would find out what happened, and do the same to me, and maybe EM too, just because.  And EM hits back and includes a few more, and so on and we all die.  So we fight our wars through the "proxies" of our ships and clones, and like the US and Russia we trade insults and seduce each other and go to the same parties to spy or maybe just to have a good time. 

Orthic

• Wetgraver

Or think of it like this.  Its also like the cold war with the US and Russia.  the US didn't nuke Russia because Russia would nuke the US right back.  I don't walk into PIE headquarters and set off a bomb on their clones, or hire someone to do it becuase (IC) that would be the end of it.  PIE would find out what happened, and do the same to me, and maybe EM too, just because.  And EM hits back and includes a few more, and so on and we all die.  So we fight our wars through the "proxies" of our ships and clones, and like the US and Russia we trade insults and seduce each other and go to the same parties to spy or maybe just to have a good time. 

I can’t say I ever thought of it from that perspective. I suppose it makes sense – normally we don’t try to kill the other side’s capsuleers out of some sort of professional courtesy or the fact that killing capsuleers is 'just not done', but the possibility of retaliation is an interesting take on it as well. I’m not going to try and permanently end my enemies’ careers because they might send people to do the same to me.

Hmm… I suppose that gives me a slightly better IC explanation for sitting down with people I think the cluster would be better off without and not making any effort to make it so. Besides just saying “I didn’t feel like killing him/her/it this time.”

Saikoyu

• Omelette

Well, one could also say the professional courtest and the just not done aspect can evolve from something like mutually assured destruction.  The handshake of today exists because two warriors wanted to show they were not carring weapons.  But either way, gald to add something worthwhile.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal

One comment I'd like to make here (and its an entirely personal preference non-binding on anyone) is that I consider any kind of social gathering that happens in channels without the participants actually being at the same station/location to be virtual. I feel virtual meetings don't really involve elements of physical risk and proximity that actual meetings would and so it makes sense to me that laws of association and permission would be loose.

I think one of the huge unwritten benefits to RP in eve that incarna will bring will be the neccessity for people to actually get together to be in the flesh together in the station bars with all that entails for logistics/conflict and general excitement in space outside.

On the general point that (I think) Ashar is making here.

Yes, its a bit short sighted on an ooc level to adopt utterly rigid rules of non-interaction to the detriment of actually finding other players to interact with (even players of characters in "enemy organizations") - with RP being a something of a sub-community (of eve) already its important to not to subdivide and subdivide into tiny little cliques.

Still, ultimately anyone who makes a channel/bar/location or whatever can decide their own criteria for allowing and inviting people.

Eve is big enough for most preferences.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2011, 19:38 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Jade makes an interesting point about VR and Incarna.

Keep in mind though, since Incarna won't have the ability to 'VR' yourself to a big get-together, it will be the end of these meet-ups.

People come now because they are convenient to do so. There will still be a few hardcores who make the trip, but you'll see guest-lists of 40 translate to 7 or 8 attendees very quickly.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Keep in mind though, since Incarna won't have the ability to 'VR' yourself to a big get-together, it will be the end of these meet-ups.

I'd assumed that the VR stuff would continue as it is now: in chat channels, with textual descriptions, emotes, and dinosaurs like us.

I assume we will still have chat channels... ? /me imagines Local and Fleet as Incarna venues. I assume we will still have chat channels.

People come now because they are convenient to do so. There will still be a few hardcores who make the trip, but you'll see guest-lists of 40 translate to 7 or 8 attendees very quickly.

And, I think, more segregation by location. I wouldn't go to Goinard just for a drink, and without the ability to holo in or monitor the feed to see who's around I'd be unlikely to make the journey. That's likely to see the local venues get more use, which for me means hanging out with my alliance more, and with interesting outlanders less.

Lyn Farel

Well thats an idea I have had for a while now but I think we should really ask CCP to enable VR in Incarna, meaning we could connect ourselves to another station in holo (with some restrictions, or whatever is needed), much like we already do in RP channels.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

We'll still have chat channels in Incarna, though the existence of "actual IC physical venues" may drop their popularity. It doesn't have to be a killer blow, though. It may be that Incarna interaction isn't fluid enough for some RPers, anyway. No way to lean this way, lean that way, gesture there, etc. That said, it works for lots of people in other MMOs.

Though there's a lot to be said for coming on location via holo and being able to attend various meetings quite casually, I still like what Incarna (potentially) does to RP. Just like Eve PvP is pretty hardcore, Incarna will do the same for RP. You want to get over there and RP? You gotta haul ass and potentially brave the dangers of getting into the target location. Outlaws will have to risk podding to get to high-sec locations. Yes, all of it will very likely lessen participation in random events, but just as long distances to travel for trade created trade hubs, RP hubs will spawn. Jump clones will allow quick attendance in many cases. In three years time, we'll be arguing about whether the RP hubs are destroying the RP community as usual.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Well thats an idea I have had for a while now but I think we should really ask CCP to enable VR in Incarna...

It's already been asked several times.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6