Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

debris from starship combat near planets sometimes survives re-entry, as when a relay station on Yong III was destroyed by debris after a fierce fight in low orbit on 27.08YC105.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: The Alignment System Game!  (Read 30595 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: The Alignment System Game!
« Reply #135 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:08 »

Makkal: Autonomous with Humane and Sybaritic leanings.
What does this mean?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #136 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:14 »

On the color wheel, Samira would probably be Black-White-Blue, I think. She's got traits of all three.

People have suggested that Samira has darker leanings than what I/Makkal have seen. Could you elaborate on how she's black?

Parasitic self-interest.

1) She latches onto other people for security and comfort. The conformity and submission are forms of manipulation. Manipulation she's not even really consciously aware of, but manipulation nonetheless. It endears her to people, lowers their hostility towards her by making them view her as non-threatening, and encourages them to take care of her. As she's said before: The slaves who stubbornly rebel and resist are the ones that get treated poorly. The ones who submit and conform get treated well. She'd rather be treated well. She has no personal pride, she's quite happy debasing herself and being someone else's tool if it keeps her safe and cared for.

2) She lacks real compassion for people. Oh sure, she says she does. Argues it rather vehemently, and possibly even consciously believes it herself. But like many things she says, what comes out of her mouth is the result of indoctrination, not honesty. Subconsciously, she's concerned about her own survival, not others. She can watch people be hurt and killed and it doesn't really phase her; she learned to deal with witnessing/experiencing pain during slavery. She's one of those capsuleers that doesn't care about her crew... she even has a full crew in her frigates. Hell, even when Pieter went missing? Her closest friend? She got over it very quickly (of course, she cried when he returned... but the weeks previous? Nope. Out of sight, out of mind.). She's developed very efficient coping mechanisms as a result of her upbringing.

3) Her own survival is what's important. Because of the above two points, it'd be very easy for her to backstab someone she's gotten close to, if it becomes necessary for her survival. Nico is right that Sami could very much be NE instead of LN/LE. Order is important, as it protects her, but the moment that order is no longer protecting her it is no longer valuable. What's important is survival. I only say she's still lawful because I rate according to actions, and she acts according to order as it's typically far safer than disorder. Betrayal is usually a very dangerous prospect, and thus should only be undertaken when the enemy is guaranteed to win. As the Empire is the strongest nation in the galaxy and not at threat of being wiped out, it's much safer for her to be with them than against them. Hence why she betrayed her family and the Republic to return to the Empire once she had the opportunity to do so--she expects the Empire to conquer the Republic in her lifetime, and she doesn't want to be on the losing side.

Really, she's an Ammatar at heart. The proper race traitor kind, not that silly, "oh we were doing it to protect the Starkmanir," shit. <.<

Pieter's summed it all up rather well before:
[spoiler] [ 2013.04.16 08:43:20 ] Pieter Tuulinen > (( [Samira is] far more devious than [Pieter] is. She's used to operating from the underdog position. ))
 [ 2013.04.16 08:44:28 ] Pieter Tuulinen > (( If life makes you 2.04 meters and tough, you learn to attack problems headlong. ))
 [ 2013.04.16 08:44:55 ] Pieter Tuulinen > (( If life raises you like it did Sami, you learn other strategies. ))
 [ 2013.04.16 08:56:06 ] Pieter Tuulinen > (( Her submissive personality is basically a false-flag to protect her from a certain kind of person. Her politeness, directed at people she doesn't respect, is a form of manipulation. ))
 [ 2013.04.16 08:56:45 ] Pieter Tuulinen > (( I'm also thinking Aldrith's explanation of her submissiveness to Pieter as being a kind of gift is REALLY offbase. Since she would be submissive right until she stuck the knife in and twisted! ))[/spoiler]

She's very messed up. Though not consciously aware of most of this. Consciously, she thinks she's the mask--a loyal and devout servant of God and Empire. She believes her own lies. So, consciously, she's LN. Subconsciously, she's NE.

That's rather interesting put that in that light. It ringed a similar bell for my own character, which is completely submissive and can sometimes share the same kind of self conservation hidden behind indoctrination. Food for thought.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #137 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:23 »

What does this mean?

Autonomous means Self Direction and Stimulation. Self Direction implies that the character proves to be creative and has impulses to be driven by its own will and independence. Coupled with Stimulation, it means that what provides her such opportunities is what stimulates her : her senses, her stimuli, her will to discover and experience new things in life. It seems to Lyn that Makkal fits that rather well considering she went to I-RED or spends her time exploring space to speak with people. Being a social chameleon is a means to that end for her.

Sybaritic, which is based on hedonism, strangely enough in the eyes of Lyn mostly I think due to her behaviour itself, or what it tells to her. She seems to enjoy life immensely and be very open about relationships, flirting, etc. There sure seems to be an Amarr-prudish Makkal mixed together with an hedonist Makkal. But Lyn may be totally wrong on that. As I said, the slightest hint of public romance or else is often seen as Sybaritic by her, and honestly, she is rarely biased on her observations except precisely on this kind of things.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #138 on: 23 Jun 2013, 08:52 »

I think Sakura's Neutral Evil... she does whatever she wants, trying to advance herself and not really caring about what it does to others.  She sees the pod as a chance to "bend the universe to her will", and refuses to be shackled by the laws or customs of the old empires.  She'll attack anyone she can, unprovoked, and doesn't really care about any organizations but her own.

If I put her on Andreus' wheel, she'd be a black and red combo.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #139 on: 23 Jun 2013, 14:25 »

Green as a colour tends to favour natural, organically developing solutions to problems. In-game, it's very anti-technology/anti-artifice, having a large number of cards that wreck or interfere with artifacts. Its enemies are blue (due to its obsession with artificial solutions and valuing of reason over instinct) and black (on account of its all-for-one mentality, which clashes with green's one-for-all outlook).

I'm interested to hear how that lines up with your characters' philosophies.

Apologies that it's taken me so long to reply to this, I've been at a music festival drinking lots and singing loudly.

I chose green for Kala as despite her Sebiestor roots and natural affinity for tinkering, her family work in agriculture. This has left her with a tendency to take the long view and just let things develop (although, capsuleerhood has somewhat ruined this as everything happens so fast in relative terms).

Her own personal goals, not those of her tribe and/or family, are based almost purely around her own independence and freedom. Of the colours I picked, Green and Red, the most applicable sections of these are the first half (going anti-clockwise) of each; Independence and Impulse and their subsets; Nature, Growth, Freedom and Action.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #140 on: 23 Jun 2013, 14:29 »

Again, no colour or colour combination is inherently evil, but Red/Black is pretty much the closest you can get to an "evil" combination.

Magic: The Gathering's current setting is Ravnica, an ecumenopolis controlled by ten guilds, each of which represent a different two-colour combination. Black-Red would place you in alignment with the Cult of Rakdos, although the Cult of Rakdos itself is closer to Chaotic Evil/Sybaritic than Neutral Evil/Ambitious.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #141 on: 23 Jun 2013, 18:46 »

Eh, Sak's not really evil... she just does some things that people consider to be evil.

Case in point, she can be enjoying some fine wine with people she's just met, then go connect to her ship and destroy dozens of neutral ships and their crews.  It's almost a business-like mentality with her.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #142 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:25 »

Again, no colour or colour combination is inherently evil, but Red/Black is pretty much the closest you can get to an "evil" combination.

Magic: The Gathering's current setting is Ravnica, an ecumenopolis controlled by ten guilds, each of which represent a different two-colour combination. Black-Red would place you in alignment with the Cult of Rakdos, although the Cult of Rakdos itself is closer to Chaotic Evil/Sybaritic than Neutral Evil/Ambitious.

"I am confident that even if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."

I really need a new Blue/Black character now that Mortis is retired...

I just spent five minutes trying to work out what newly-rezzed char Elysa would be, but... not having any luck.  I'll try again soon when I've actually played her a bit rather than just sending creepy mails to people.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #143 on: 24 Jun 2013, 05:06 »

What does this mean?

Autonomous means Self Direction and Stimulation. Self Direction implies that the character proves to be creative and has impulses to be driven by its own will and independence. Coupled with Stimulation, it means that what provides her such opportunities is what stimulates her : her senses, her stimuli, her will to discover and experience new things in life. It seems to Lyn that Makkal fits that rather well considering she went to I-RED or spends her time exploring space to speak with people. Being a social chameleon is a means to that end for her.

Sybaritic, which is based on hedonism, strangely enough in the eyes of Lyn mostly I think due to her behaviour itself, or what it tells to her. She seems to enjoy life immensely and be very open about relationships, flirting, etc. There sure seems to be an Amarr-prudish Makkal mixed together with an hedonist Makkal. But Lyn may be totally wrong on that. As I said, the slightest hint of public romance or else is often seen as Sybaritic by her, and honestly, she is rarely biased on her observations except precisely on this kind of things.

Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #144 on: 24 Jun 2013, 08:32 »

"I am confident that even if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."

Yes, we like House Dimir. They're pretty awesome. Although Blue/Black decks are horrible to play against.

Discard ALL the cards!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #145 on: 24 Jun 2013, 08:42 »

Yes, we like House Dimir. They're pretty awesome. Although Blue/Black decks are horrible to play against.

Discard ALL the cards!

I had a really nasty blue/black guiltfeeder deck a while back.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #146 on: 24 Jun 2013, 09:52 »

guiltfeeder
You are the sole reason for evil and unhappiness in this world. :evil:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #147 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:42 »

guiltfeeder
You are the sole reason for evil and unhappiness in this world. :evil:

confirmed.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #148 on: 24 Jun 2013, 13:20 »

One of the most entertaining decks I've built was actually a pure red semi-Eldrazi one.  Sneak Attack, Worldgorger Dragon, Emrakul's Hatcher... and if they survive the blizzard of idiocy like that, throw out It That Betrays and use a Threshold Epicenter.  Never got that far in the combo.

...and we're going waaaay off topic. :P

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #149 on: 24 Jun 2013, 13:29 »

I think Lyn's pinpointing of Natalcya on that alternative alignment scale is spot on, although which of the tendencies is the dominant one will vary from day to day. Well observed.

On the MTG alignment scale she'd be White/Blue. She likes to make pretenses toward amorality that could place her in the Black spectrum as well if they were strictly true, but she doesn't quite have the stomach to go all the way. (Not anymore, at least, she was pretty extreme back in AST-F.)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16