Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Surviving RP  (Read 11762 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Surviving RP
« Reply #120 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:03 »

Wait, now, wait.

I'm to decaffeinated to be doing any quoting.. but if 'mild mannered' Amarrians are supposed to be being repressed, again, I was skipped. 

That is IT.

I am filing my complaints AT ONCE that I did not receive my appropriate levels of RP repression from my bloc.

I said liberals/progressive, not mild mannered...

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #121 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:46 »

Lyn,

For the Amarr Empire specifically, I think for me it's more to do with say, what's the differences between the Imperial Houses? They've existed for millenia in some cases so you'd think they'd have all developed very clear idiosyncrasies. Ardishapur has the most evident right now since it has things like the silver hands, furriers, and staunch conservatism at least to work with and build upon - but what of the others? There's also Khanid, but I'm not sure what's really unique or different about Kor-Azor, Kador, Tash-Murkon or Sarum beyond some superficial points.

That, and you'd think the Empire would be full of things like Imperial Court intrigues or feudal holders having disagreements and trying to shaft each other using the law and their personal networks of friends and associates in the bureaucracy or whatever. I mean, for a science fiction feudal society the Empire seems not to suffer from actual internal feuds at present, and the same can be said for all the factions.

Then again, the times CCP has presented unexpected disagreement within a faction there appears to be cries of outrage about it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #122 on: 16 Nov 2013, 13:00 »

Lyn,

For the Amarr Empire specifically, I think for me it's more to do with say, what's the differences between the Imperial Houses? They've existed for millenia in some cases so you'd think they'd have all developed very clear idiosyncrasies. Ardishapur has the most evident right now since it has things like the silver hands, furriers, and staunch conservatism at least to work with and build upon - but what of the others? There's also Khanid, but I'm not sure what's really unique or different about Kor-Azor, Kador, Tash-Murkon or Sarum beyond some superficial points.

That, and you'd think the Empire would be full of things like Imperial Court intrigues or feudal holders having disagreements and trying to shaft each other using the law and their personal networks of friends and associates in the bureaucracy or whatever. I mean, for a science fiction feudal society the Empire seems not to suffer from actual internal feuds at present, and the same can be said for all the factions.

Then again, the times CCP has presented unexpected disagreement within a faction there appears to be cries of outrage about it.

There are various bits and bytes that point to Imperial high society scheming against each other in plots that last for hundreds of years.  Something like Great duchess so-and-so 400 years ago being insulted at a dinner party by a spurned lover and vowing in secret to crush the rival family with an intricate web of alliances and marriages, so the duchess can appear at said spurned lover's deathbed and let him know his holdership ends with him and his descendants will be cleaning out slaver hound pens in Aridia for time eternal to follow

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #123 on: 16 Nov 2013, 13:09 »

Ardishapur has the most evident right now since it has things like the silver hands, furriers, and staunch conservatism at least to work with and build upon - but what of the others? There's also Khanid, but I'm not sure what's really unique or different about Kor-Azor, Kador, Tash-Murkon or Sarum beyond some superficial points.

Ardishapur = pious conservatives - Churches and Missionaries.

Sarum = militarist reclaimers - the heathens and heretics must be crushed by the might of Empire

Tash-Murkon = wealth and influence - religion is useful in the form of pilgrims spending money, which can be taxed.

Kor-Azor = Reformist diplomats - the Empire needs to change to adapt to the modern world

Kador = Isolationist Glory - Gold Statues, gold statues everywhere.

Several holder plots - the Holder Wars, and the Amarr epic arc, plus Amarr cosmos, though most of those predate Faction Warfare. In general, when Holder Plots reach the level that capsuleers and the Imperial Navy start getting involved, then things have turned, really, really bad.

\o/

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #124 on: 16 Nov 2013, 15:24 »

Who knows, maybe the internal divisions will become more apparent with Rubicon to justify the weakening of CONCORD and the Big Four: Khanid and Ardishapur attempt a coup against Sarum; Ethnic tensions among the smaller tribes like the Starkmanir, Nefantar, Thukker and Krusual explode into anti-Shakor sentiments; The Megacorps all start going at each others throats; the Federation fractures between Gallente nationalists, Federalists, dissident groups, anti-government supporters and secessionists.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #125 on: 16 Nov 2013, 18:45 »

I think it's always been important not too be too closely defined by a certain conflict.  Otherwise, you tend to get swept up and it does sort of feel like you're re-hashing the same RP over and over again.  It's sometimes important to mix it up just by making sure you've got some diversification if you're feeling pigeonholed.

On the subject of larger corps, I do think they're important especially if they take their roles seriously.  I haven't seen PIE step out and be awe-inspiringly conservative (they don't tend to give me any grief as a group), but I've made sure Constantin gave them some space when they show up on an official level.  Even if he didn't agree with, say, putting together a hitlist for those who insulted the Empress, he couldn't really fault them for doing so.  It's illegal, and PIE always struck me as more of a loyalist law-enforcement organization.  Sort of the same way I try to treat PYRE and the Electus.  You may have problems with some of the members, but you don't step on the corporations' toes on official business.

That might be a throwover from my Shadowrun days when the cops were a corporation just like any other.  Somebody's got to be the cops.  Maybe I just haven't been here long enough, but I do think PIE's done a good job of playing that role.  The few times you do hear from them on an official level, they don't sound like a mercenary organization.  They sound like what I'd expect a government representative to sound like.

I think it's up to more independent actors and organizations to provide the flavor, including the individual members of the organization.  However, you can't blame a giant loyalist corporation for enforcing the racial line to the center-right.  That's sort of what they do.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #126 on: 16 Nov 2013, 21:15 »

To use the Shadowrun analogies, PYRE is a lot less Lone Star and a bit more Renraku Red Samurais.   8)

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #127 on: 16 Nov 2013, 23:41 »

To use the Shadowrun analogies, PYRE is a lot less Lone Star and a bit more Renraku Red Samurais.   8)

Man, I hope not.  I ran ops on the other Japanacorps a LOT for Yamatetsu after Yuri took over.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #128 on: 17 Nov 2013, 00:05 »

There are various bits and bytes that point to Imperial high society scheming against each other in plots that last for hundreds of years.  Something like Great duchess so-and-so 400 years ago being insulted at a dinner party by a spurned lover and vowing in secret to crush the rival family with an intricate web of alliances and marriages, so the duchess can appear at said spurned lover's deathbed and let him know his holdership ends with him and his descendants will be cleaning out slaver hound pens in Aridia for time eternal to follow.

Works for me.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #129 on: 17 Nov 2013, 00:09 »

Man, I hope not.  I ran ops on the other Japanacorps a LOT for Yamatetsu after Yuri took over.

I'm just pointing out that PYRE was formed as a reaction against the concept of, "Loyalist law-enforcement organization," since most of all that Caldari space honour was abandoned in favour of a more, "Results-oriented," focus.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #130 on: 17 Nov 2013, 05:26 »

I think it's always been important not too be too closely defined by a certain conflict.  Otherwise, you tend to get swept up and it does sort of feel like you're re-hashing the same RP over and over again.  It's sometimes important to mix it up just by making sure you've got some diversification if you're feeling pigeonholed.

On the subject of larger corps, I do think they're important especially if they take their roles seriously.  I haven't seen PIE step out and be awe-inspiringly conservative (they don't tend to give me any grief as a group), but I've made sure Constantin gave them some space when they show up on an official level.  Even if he didn't agree with, say, putting together a hitlist for those who insulted the Empress, he couldn't really fault them for doing so.  It's illegal, and PIE always struck me as more of a loyalist law-enforcement organization.  Sort of the same way I try to treat PYRE and the Electus.  You may have problems with some of the members, but you don't step on the corporations' toes on official business.

That might be a throwover from my Shadowrun days when the cops were a corporation just like any other.  Somebody's got to be the cops.  Maybe I just haven't been here long enough, but I do think PIE's done a good job of playing that role.  The few times you do hear from them on an official level, they don't sound like a mercenary organization.  They sound like what I'd expect a government representative to sound like.

I think it's up to more independent actors and organizations to provide the flavor, including the individual members of the organization.  However, you can't blame a giant loyalist corporation for enforcing the racial line to the center-right.  That's sort of what they do.

Who blames them ?

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #131 on: 17 Nov 2013, 09:07 »

Who blames them ?

They catch a lot of OOC flack, from what I've seen, mostly for how they enforce the flying of Amarr ships only and especially for that post about putting together a hit list of Amarrians who'd insulted the Empress.  I thought that all made perfect RP sense, but maybe people resent them for throwing their weight around in the Amarrian scene as much as they do?

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #132 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:18 »

Resent?  Nah.

That's a pretty strong word.

And besides.  Look at Aldrith's hair.  LOOK AT IT.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #133 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:56 »

Who blames them ?

They catch a lot of OOC flack, from what I've seen, mostly for how they enforce the flying of Amarr ships only and especially for that post about putting together a hit list of Amarrians who'd insulted the Empress.  I thought that all made perfect RP sense, but maybe people resent them for throwing their weight around in the Amarrian scene as much as they do?

Maybe. I don't personally. What they do is expected of them, makes perfect sense, and they truly embody what they are.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #134 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:59 »

Resent?  Nah.

That's a pretty strong word.

And besides.  Look at Aldrith's hair.  LOOK AT IT.

All great Amarrians wear long hair....

.... I'll admit it, he wears it better than Constantin does.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10