Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Baby crazy  (Read 8217 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: Baby crazy
« Reply #15 on: 02 Oct 2013, 01:29 »

Myyona is not going to have children soon. When it comes to matters of sexual nature, she cannot cope with her living-outside-myself complex and considers herself a freak of nature. Impossible to get in the mood for anything kinky with that kind of attitude. Perhaps one day when she is done being a capsuleer and returns to her original body there will be an offspring. At least, that is what she keeps telling herself.

Jowen got a family. I am not sure if the child is boy or girl.

Other characters are either too young, too old or too full of themselves to be having children.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 02 Oct 2013, 02:48 »

Kids are on the horizon for Des/Pieter, I think

Samira will not be pleased.

*Fluffles that Samira*

Shiori

« Reply #17 on: 02 Oct 2013, 05:58 »

[..]often leads into issues of characters spending all their time out doing stuff in the game/RP, leaving the question of who the hell is raising the children.
To be fair, it's not entirely unusual for the children of the rich, powerful, and busy to be raised by a gaggle of nurses, nannies, tutors and what-have-you.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 02 Oct 2013, 10:19 »

The funny bit about watching babies is I sat docked or not leaving system for nearly a month save two trips to Aeuver (with said child)
because I was babysitting someone else's (adopted/discovered abandoned) child while they were flying highrisk missions in null during the wars in Fountain.

That's the only character I know though who took their child around with then 75% or so of the time as it was just 'not safe' to leave him in the care of non-capsuleers (or even alt Capsuleers.)  Cause space is dangerous and the character loved the kid.

Anabella Rella

• Not angry, just passionate dammit!
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #19 on: 02 Oct 2013, 13:13 »

I have no problems at all with others adding kids to their RP as long as it's portrayed in a somewhat thoughtful, mature and at least minimally realistic way. It's not at all in the cards for Ana since she's still working through her various issues.

It could be pretty amusing to have her awkwardly attempt interacting with kids though!
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 02 Oct 2013, 13:38 »

[..]often leads into issues of characters spending all their time out doing stuff in the game/RP, leaving the question of who the hell is raising the children.
To be fair, it's not entirely unusual for the children of the rich, powerful, and busy to be raised by a gaggle of nurses, nannies, tutors and what-have-you.

Are there no creches? :)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 02 Oct 2013, 14:06 »

Aldy and Mitty made some babies. I'd like to think we've pulled it off fairly well. In all honesty this was less our choice than it was our charcacters', since they're Amarrian and in their 30's. It just kinda made sense. Playing less also means we can easily say we're staying at home like good parents. Yay!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 02 Oct 2013, 15:34 »

Gottii also made babies with Mitty. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 02 Oct 2013, 15:55 »

As a surrogate for Graelyn ?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #24 on: 02 Oct 2013, 17:11 »

I suppose when it was worded as "People have babies all the time IRL" then capsuleers having babies as well like ordinary people isn't so out there. Still though, what Samira said...

On topic: I'm not a big fan of pregnancies/young children in RP. I find very, very few people play it out appropriately, often growing bored of either the timespan required or the children themselves, causing them to either accelerate the pregnancy (and sometimes even the aging of the children), or completely forgetting they exist/retconning them out of existence.

I think it's like any plot arc that characters drum up on a whim...something soap opera and dramatic. Kidnapping is one, pregnancy is another, I suppose. But yes, I have seen the accelerated pregnancy and aging thing...eh...it's not immersion-breaking if you just avoid that IC I suppose.

I guess babies are hit and miss in terms of what it can bring to RP. For playing Anette, I've looked at RL teen actresses for inspiration, initially Dakota Fanning and now Chloe Grace Moretz. Anette has certainly become more believable and down-to-earth. I dislike people playing vapid, hand-clapping teenagers.

Korona

• Friendly Neighborhood Cultist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2013, 17:49 »

Relevant, ancient quote pertaining to Alica Wildfire:
Maelcom Grey > So someone's character lost a child from being podded and the character is pregnant again. I'm glad to see that even 20,000 years in the future, we have trailer parks.

"EoM is an anagram of emo for a reason, dude."

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 02 Oct 2013, 18:28 »

Jowen got a family. I am not sure if the child is boy or girl.

Looking at that icon, I'm not sure if the child is alive or dead. My condolences just in case Jowen :lol:

Ollie has a nephew living with some pleasant (or maybe not so pleasant) family in foster care somewhere within the core systems of the Federation. When his sister died, that seemed like the logical option.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #27 on: 02 Oct 2013, 20:19 »

I suppose when it was worded as "People have babies all the time IRL" then capsuleers having babies as well like ordinary people isn't so out there. Still though, what Samira said...

On topic: I'm not a big fan of pregnancies/young children in RP. I find very, very few people play it out appropriately, often growing bored of either the timespan required or the children themselves, causing them to either accelerate the pregnancy (and sometimes even the aging of the children), or completely forgetting they exist/retconning them out of existence.

I think it's like any plot arc that characters drum up on a whim...something soap opera and dramatic. Kidnapping is one, pregnancy is another, I suppose. But yes, I have seen the accelerated pregnancy and aging thing...eh...it's not immersion-breaking if you just avoid that IC I suppose.

I guess babies are hit and miss in terms of what it can bring to RP. For playing Anette, I've looked at RL teen actresses for inspiration, initially Dakota Fanning and now Chloe Grace Moretz. Anette has certainly become more believable and down-to-earth. I dislike people playing vapid, hand-clapping teenagers.

Allow me to elaborate on that quote:

"People have babies all the time IRL without realizing or being prepared for the consequences and responsibilities children entail."

I'm not somebody who accelerates pregnancies or child growth, but I can say that I think people are entitled to whatever handwaving they'd like in RP when it comes to time scales. EVE itself is not realistic for timescales. Most roleplay venues (houses, estates, bars) are thought up and built within a week, if not a day. Why is it okay to have unreasonably short building periods, but not pregnancies? Why is it okay to retcon some things but not this, especially when pregnancies are not at all reflected in the game? I think berating people for accelerated/retconned pregnancies is pretty close to YDIW.

I'm not sure why you started this thread since you're focusing almost wholly on the negative aspects (and quotes) of that sort of RP for others, while raising your own RP-children as a paragon of great roleplay. Seems rather fishy to me, Seriphyn.

Desiderya

« Reply #28 on: 02 Oct 2013, 21:05 »

For you, my love.
http://z0r.de/2966  :s

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 02 Oct 2013, 21:26 »

I am sorry, this is New Eden, if someone wants to RP that their pregnancy takes all of a week or a month it shouldn't be immersion breaking when the parent is a person whose consciousness is teleported across space at faster than light speeds to a fresh clone when the need arises.

As for my main, Dex, he has a daughter, he knows she exist and tracked her progress as much as he could through the CN creche's all the way through SWA.  His daughter however was raised by the CN creche system with no direct contact from either young parent.

Impossible Child
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5