Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: "Space Lesbians"  (Read 27508 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: "Space Lesbians"
« Reply #90 on: 06 Mar 2013, 14:21 »

One other thing to consider - our characters are fairly young, on the whole, probably 18-30 in the majority.  Add in vast power and wealth afforded to them by capsuleer status (and fan clubs?), mix it with poor impulse control, and the fact that we're not throwing drunk debaucheries on a nightly basis astounds me.  EVE: Frat House Edition.

You obviously haven't  come into contact with PIE yet  :lol:

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #91 on: 06 Mar 2013, 16:52 »

I, on the other hand, would more than gladly blow you up! :D

But yeah, going back to the age and maturity levels of capsuleers, Amarrians are a completely different ballpark when compared to the other races. The ages of characters range from 18 to well into their 100's (though 40-60 tends to be most common for older characters). Even most of our youngsters are usually late twenties to mid thirties, right around the age where people start settling down and having families. Plus the whole religion dealio effects their attitudes. If an Amarrian tends to fall to the 'space lesbian' bit they'll probably be a rebellious younger one who doesn't care much for tradition, if not an outright traitor/heretic. I do believe that homosexuality is severely frowned upon in the Empire, even though the only PF that has touched upon it was that one chronicle with the gay priest talking to the Gallente woman.

I do think the culture of the character plays a role in this phenomenon.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013, 17:08 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: 06 Mar 2013, 19:51 »

If an Amarrian tends to fall to the 'space lesbian' bit they'll probably be a rebellious younger one who doesn't care much for tradition, if not an outright traitor/heretic. I do believe that homosexuality is severely frowned upon in the Empire, even though the only PF that has touched upon it was that one chronicle with the gay priest talking to the Gallente woman.

I do think the culture of the character plays a role in this phenomenon.

I think that Amarrian culture frowns on any display of sexuality in public. Marriage isn't the expression of lasting love or a romantic relationship, imho, but socially the role of it is ensuring the continuation of a family line and building alliances. What happens behind closed doors matters little to that, I think.

That's why an Amarrian that is openly 'space lesbian' would seem out of place, imho.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #93 on: 06 Mar 2013, 20:44 »

Yeah, I agree with Nicoletta here.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #94 on: 06 Mar 2013, 21:47 »

I think that Amarrian culture frowns on any display of sexuality in public. Marriage isn't the expression of lasting love or a romantic relationship, imho, but socially the role of it is ensuring the continuation of a family line and building alliances. What happens behind closed doors matters little to that, I think.
This is what I've been 'taught' by those Amarr before me, and seems perfectly reasonable to me given the culture.  That's not to say love doesn't enter into a marriage, but there is certainly more to it than that. As far as homosexuality goes, again, what happens behind closed doors stays there, it's all about appearances and decorum in public.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #95 on: 07 Mar 2013, 08:26 »

Ava (OOC) is female and straight.

Ava (IC) has been involved in one same-sex relationship and a handful of relationships with men.

Oddly, people seemed to enjoy themselves immensely making fun of me and Kala about it, and it all felt like it was in good spirits.

Ok.

I see a lot of examples when it isnt. It's a thinly veiled "your character sucks." This sort of attitude, especially toward newer RPers, just shoves people away from EVE Rp and makes it even more cliqueish. We dont need that.

Be careful how you say what youre saying and to who. Some characters can start out pretty outlandish. However, some of them will become awesome.

TLDR, be nice.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #96 on: 07 Mar 2013, 08:58 »

This is what I've been 'taught' by those Amarr before me, and seems perfectly reasonable to me given the culture.  That's not to say love doesn't enter into a marriage, but there is certainly more to it than that. As far as homosexuality goes, again, what happens behind closed doors stays there, it's all about appearances and decorum in public.

"Look, what you get up to for fun in your spare time is your own business, but you had -better- be pumping out the children and they had -better- be legitimate, kapische?"
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #97 on: 07 Mar 2013, 10:07 »

Oddly, people seemed to enjoy themselves immensely making fun of me and Kala about it, and it all felt like it was in good spirits.

*looks suspiciously at Morwen*

But yeah, basically this. I've never been on the receiving end of 'nasty' space lesbian comments, only joking ones (either that or I've developed an amazingly thick skin).

On the other hand, Kala/Ava was due to my shamless attempts at seduction! :D Ava(c) was (and as far as I know, still is) quite firmly straight till Kala started waggling her eyebrows   ;)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #98 on: 07 Mar 2013, 11:06 »

"Look, what you get up to for fun in your spare time is your own business, but you had -better- be pumping out the children and they had -better- be legitimate, kapische?"
* Mitara Newelle is doing her part!!!!

:D
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #99 on: 07 Mar 2013, 11:29 »

I thought I had covered it alright in my story over in the fiction section.
\o/

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #100 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:41 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxU89x78ac

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #101 on: 08 Mar 2013, 09:19 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxU89x78ac

I could totally see this song play on Caldari State tv :D :D :D

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #102 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:18 »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #103 on: 08 Mar 2013, 15:50 »

* Pieter Tuulinen salutes the National Night song.

Ready to embrace my stern Patriotic Duty!

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #104 on: 08 Mar 2013, 16:22 »

I've never, to my knowledge, been on the receiving end of any non-playful teasing use of "space lesbian."  In fact I think I/Ura got more finger wagging and disappointing glowers with the shenanigans from the Top Model thing, not to mention showing up at a party with a (handsome and gentlemanly) toaster.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17