Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dear Backstage community: I'd like your help in changing the universe a bit.  (Read 4959 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

They probably don't, actually.. but judging by various utterances in that vein they've made, I think that to most of CCP the server and protocol are holy writ they're not allowed to touch. That does limit things rather a bit.

It's more that the oldest server and game code has little to no documentation, so messing with it is very risky. Unless the person who wrote a particular part of code still works for CCP (and remembers how he wrote it), with no documentation there's apparently no way to know what each line does. So for any change that involves said risky code, CCP needs to dedicate a team to interpret the old code and figure out how it works or rewrite it from scratch with a new system.

This is the reason Crimewatch is being rebuilt from the ground up instead of edited, and is the reason CONCORD billboards went unfixed for years.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!

They probably don't, actually.. but judging by various utterances in that vein they've made, I think that to most of CCP the server and protocol are holy writ they're not allowed to touch. That does limit things rather a bit.

It's more that the oldest server and game code has little to no documentation, so messing with it is very risky. Unless the person who wrote a particular part of code still works for CCP (and remembers how he wrote it), with no documentation there's apparently no way to know what each line does. So for any change that involves said risky code, CCP needs to dedicate a team to interpret the old code and figure out how it works or rewrite it from scratch with a new system.

This is the reason Crimewatch is being rebuilt from the ground up instead of edited, and is the reason CONCORD billboards went unfixed for years.

I am curious if they have stated if they intend to try any complete overhauls of the old, undocumented game code (not the entire game per say) or simply do it section by section.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I am curious if they have stated if they intend to try any complete overhauls of the old, undocumented game code (not the entire game per say) or simply do it section by section.

They are doing it section by section. In oder to move forward with EVE, they need to fix this problem. So, piece by piece, they are. But it's slow going.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Okay, added a suggestion on the thread.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!
Pages: 1 2 [3]