Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Language and The Community  (Read 10057 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #45 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:36 »

I care very little about the exact classification of anal sex, and not very much more about what is or isn't acceptable speech. What got me going is that of the mentioned examples, the one phrase which might actually get you arrested or get you a face-full of Mace if you say it to a random person in the street apparently passed as "harmless" on a "technicality."

I could not stop laughing at the slapstick images of someone trying to say that meme to random people on the street.  :lol:

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #46 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:21 »

Kat, it wasn't you I was referencing. I've seen it used by other people in OOC before and in other memes.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #47 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:26 »

Kat, it wasn't you I was referencing. I've seen it used by other people in OOC before and in other memes.

Perhaps you were not, but others were referring to me by name in this thread. :)

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #48 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:29 »

Perhaps you were not, but others were referring to me by name in this thread. :)

Oh, okay good :) Just wanted to clarify.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #49 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:09 »

Anal sex != Anal penetration

Geeze people.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re:Language and The Community
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:12 »

The last 2 pages of this thread are the perfect illustration of why a word may cause impact/harm that the speaker might not intend.

In other words, be careful what you say. If you feel that you should not have to police what you say, because you may offend those around you, please, step from behind your computer, visit the near East Side of Cleveland, and scream racial slurs to your heart's content. Context matters, doesn't it?

Video games have, through the constant use of words many of us know better than to casually toss around, caused some people to just use these words without thinking... or they do think, and, due to the anonymity of the internet, dont care/think its funny/do it for lulz/whatever.

It isnt funny. It isnt cute.

I think the moral of the thread is "even though its the internet, what you say has an impact. Have a teensy care about what you say and how you say it, please"

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
Re:Language and The Community
« Reply #51 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:42 »

The last 2 pages of this thread are the perfect illustration of why a word may cause impact/harm that the speaker might not intend.

In other words, be careful what you say. If you feel that you should not have to police what you say, because you may offend those around you, please, step from behind your computer, visit the near East Side of Cleveland, and scream racial slurs to your heart's content. Context matters, doesn't it?

Video games have, through the constant use of words many of us know better than to casually toss around, caused some people to just use these words without thinking... or they do think, and, due to the anonymity of the internet, dont care/think its funny/do it for lulz/whatever.

It isnt funny. It isnt cute.

I think the moral of the thread is "even though its the internet, what you say has an impact. Have a teensy care about what you say and how you say it, please"

+1

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jun 2013, 14:49 »

While I am personally not offended by terms such as "circlejerk", it's important to note that I grew up in an environment where I was surrounded by a lot of swearing and cursing anyway. Not everyone is so accustomed to those types of words, however, so I generally agree that more neutral wording is good to strive for. Even if the potentially more offensive term is more accurate and succinct, replacing a single word with a full sentence doesn't take much more time to type and can keep emotions and drama toned down.

But not everyone is me, and that's just my 0.02 ISK.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jun 2013, 17:11 »

As someone who has more or less grown up on the internet (and Eve in particular) I bately even notice this kind of thing any more. It's just part of the jargon. The only thing that I actively look out for and make a fuss about are direct references to rape (e.g. "We totally raped them", "The station was rapecaged").

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #54 on: 02 Jun 2013, 17:46 »

As someone who has more or less grown up on the internet (and Eve in particular) I bately even notice this kind of thing any more. It's just part of the jargon. The only thing that I actively look out for and make a fuss about are direct references to rape (e.g. "We totally raped them", "The station was rapecaged").

I know this thread is more about how people communicate IG and whatnot, but if I might put on my mod hat for a moment, and make sure something is entirely clear:

[mod]Don't use rape this way on Backstage or you will get modded.[/mod]

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #55 on: 02 Jun 2013, 17:50 »

Better idea would be not to use the word at all to reference something other than the actual meaning.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #56 on: 02 Jun 2013, 17:52 »

Yeah. A clarification of the rules is being discussed along those lines. Anyway, that is more for Backstage, and I didn't want to derail, so please carry on.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 02 Jun 2013, 18:16 »

For some people, 'sex' doesn't even involve intercourse in any fashion.

I don't think Lithium is suggesting it is perverse in a flat-out context, but that if one looks at it from a biological standpoint, yes, in fact, it is a perversion of natural animal urges/functions - in the sense that you aren't really meant to go in through the "out" door, and that using it that way doesn't satisfy the so-called "biological imperative" of reproduction.

(What Kat said.)

Speaking as a biologist here, reproduction is only one of the functions of sexual behavior in the animal kingdom. 'Perversion' as a normative rather than a descriptive term has no place in natural science, which is descriptive by nature. So, no, from a biological standpoint anal sex, whether it involves penetration or not, isn't a "perversion from the biological standpoint". That it is, is a myth.

Other than that, I find myself to be in full alignment with Ava's opinion.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 18:18 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #58 on: 02 Jun 2013, 20:59 »

For some people, 'sex' doesn't even involve intercourse in any fashion.

I don't think Lithium is suggesting it is perverse in a flat-out context, but that if one looks at it from a biological standpoint, yes, in fact, it is a perversion of natural animal urges/functions - in the sense that you aren't really meant to go in through the "out" door, and that using it that way doesn't satisfy the so-called "biological imperative" of reproduction.

(What Kat said.)

Speaking as a biologist here, reproduction is only one of the functions of sexual behavior in the animal kingdom. 'Perversion' as a normative rather than a descriptive term has no place in natural science, which is descriptive by nature. So, no, from a biological standpoint anal sex, whether it involves penetration or not, isn't a "perversion from the biological standpoint". That it is, is a myth.

Other than that, I find myself to be in full alignment with Ava's opinion.
Thank you for that. Being fond of said legitimate sex act myself, it's good to know that I and my partners are not perverse manbeasts.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 02 Jun 2013, 21:38 »

Ava put it really well there.

To go back a bit, my point in pointing out how much baggage there is in a term like circle-jerk wasn't exclusive to that term.

My point is that basically any time you use a term that describes an activity or group as a negative term you are implicitly insulting that activity or group. Another similar example that I have seen recently is the constant use of "Jew" as a verb for stealing LP in Militia chat.

The same goes for the inverse. In the rape example, using the term positively as the standard EVE usage basically does is implicitly putting positive features onto the concept of rape. This is pretty gross. 

The easy way to avoid unintended insult is to go out of your way to avoid using metaphors that have that kind of baggage. Its worthwhile to go through vocab for such things and ask "why is this term insulting?" If you don't like the answer, then that term should probably quit being used.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7