Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Language and The Community  (Read 10222 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #75 on: 04 Jun 2013, 11:20 »

Unfortunately, many race based slurs that would fit EVE races would also likely be offensive OOC too, even if we made them up from scratch. Like, anti-Brutor comments, or anti-JinMei comments.

In our unfortunate reality, race based slurs are always themed around the difference between the one issuing the slur, and their observation of the target. Thus, to a fat white Republican redneck, blacks are "niggers" because of that whole "niger, neger, it means black in french LOL ur skin is darker than mine" thing they so adorably cling to; Asians are "chinks" or "slants" because their last name might be Chang, or because their eyes are slanted.

So, what would an Amarr racist observe about the Minmatar? He can't just call them niggers, because most of them aren't black. But they are all tribal, and their spirituality differs vastly from that Amarr racist's. So let's run with that instead. "Wretched inbred savages," that Amarr would say. "Faithless, godless reprobates." "Flea-bitten cattle."

What would a Caldari observe in a Gallentean that disgusts him? "Self-centered perversion-monger." "Entitled meddler." "Egomaniac."

What would a Gallente who hates Caldari observe? "Statist authoritarian scum. Do you have a single thought in your head that wasn't issued by your parent corporation, you drone?"

What would a Minmatar who hates Amarr observe? "Wrinkled old wretch bowing to a false god that gives you permission to conduct any atrocity."

Etc etc etc. Remember. When a racist insults another race that is not his own... he will always list the things that race is worse at, than his own. This is because the racist is insecure. The racist has been brought up believing that he is superior... but as he encounters more and more evidence that his beliefs are not only wrong, but offensive to civilized people around him... he grows hateful. More desperate to reinforce the perceived dominance of his race, his people, his group. And he invariably does this by pointing out what's wrong with the other group.

I would suggest that we not rely on any racist traditions from modern day, but invent new ones.

And here's the kicker. They have to make sense. Because even in the real world, they do. That fat white Republican redneck? He tosses around terms like "nigger" because he is, in fact, and undeniably... terrified of black people. Any slurs you come up with for New Eden's diverse populace to employ, have to be rooted in this. Racism is not just hate. It is also fear. It is in fact, mostly fear.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #76 on: 04 Jun 2013, 13:05 »

Yeah, that's pretty good examples.

Unfortunately, many race based slurs that would fit EVE races would also likely be offensive OOC too, even if we made them up from scratch. Like, anti-Brutor comments, or anti-JinMei comments.

Unfortunately yes. Like homophobic slurs, which can't really be bypassed by Istvaan idea above since it's more or less basically the same in New Eden than it is IRL.

I may sound weird but I am all for these ICly, for always more diversity of creepy/grim ways to fit to New Eden. Of course, the first one to deal with such things would literally get lambasted and get biomassed before reaching 24 hours of existence.

There was a PIE member like that, who made slight - very slight - reference to machist comments, and he got literally stomped by a bandwagon.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #77 on: 04 Jun 2013, 14:04 »

So, what would an Amarr racist observe about the Minmatar?

Migga, please. I'm sure it's right there for the picking.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #78 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:34 »

There's a "squid" slur getting tossed around for Caldari already, isn't there? What's the story behind that, again?
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #79 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:37 »

There's a "squid" slur getting tossed around for Caldari already, isn't there? What's the story behind that, again?

I assumed that was just a pun on the word "Caldari". Caldari/Calamari. Like the food, you know?

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #80 on: 04 Jun 2013, 17:12 »

I assumed that was just a pun on the word "Caldari". Caldari/Calamari. Like the food, you know?

Ah yeah, I think that was it. I'm not actually familiar with the meal, which is why it was easy to forget I am sure.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #81 on: 04 Jun 2013, 18:24 »

My understanding is that originally grew out of a reference to some joint Caldari-Amarr operations groups in the earlier days of FW: Caldari-Amarr -> Cal-Amarr -> Calamari -> Squids.

Somehow it ended up sticking harder to the Caldari guys than the Amarr, though, likely due to the greater name similarity to begin with.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #82 on: 04 Jun 2013, 19:24 »

What about "frogs"?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 04 Jun 2013, 19:37 »

What about "frogs"?

French connection.  I do not know exactly where the term "frog" for Frenchmen comes from.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #84 on: 04 Jun 2013, 20:09 »

The same reason why Germans are called krauts.

Because French people eat frogs.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #85 on: 04 Jun 2013, 23:55 »

During the peninsular war the French troops were often referred to as Crapauds by their English counterparts, which is not exactly a term of endearment. I don't believe it was due to their eating of frogs legs - but have to admit I can't locate any other solid etymology.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #86 on: 05 Jun 2013, 01:29 »

My understanding is that originally grew out of a reference to some joint Caldari-Amarr operations groups in the earlier days of FW: Caldari-Amarr -> Cal-Amarr -> Calamari -> Squids.

Somehow it ended up sticking harder to the Caldari guys than the Amarr, though, likely due to the greater name similarity to begin with.

Nope, it's purely out of Caldari resembling the word calamari. Hence squids. I was in Gallente FW when the dudes coined the pharase. There was no crossfaction co-op when this term for cladari came into being, it appearaed during the first month of FW accompanied with hilarious gifs anc pictures on the now defunct gallente FW forums.

edit:clarification
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2013, 01:35 by Vincent Pryce »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #87 on: 05 Jun 2013, 01:30 »

During the peninsular war the French troops were often referred to as Crapauds by their English counterparts, which is not exactly a term of endearment. I don't believe it was due to their eating of frogs legs - but have to admit I can't locate any other solid etymology.

I think it comes from frog food yes. I don't think a lot of people eat those, and even less regularly, but the prejudice remained. Not that both countries have not come with very creative slurs toward each other over the centuries anyway...

For the use of Crapauds, I don't know though (I was only aware of the use of the word Jacobins). A crapaud is a toad in any case.

It's really funny reading the english, then the french wikipedia articles on Napoleonic wars usually. Radically opposed underlying tones for the same "factual" statements.

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #88 on: 05 Jun 2013, 08:00 »

The only slur against Norwegians I'm aware of is "squarehead", and it's a really obscure 19th century American one that I think actually applied to all Scandinavians.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #89 on: 05 Jun 2013, 08:39 »

There is no slur against the swedish among the Nordic, but we all know they are a tad odd. :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7