Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: "urdoinitrong"  (Read 14794 times)

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
Re: "urdoinitrong"
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jul 2012, 23:55 »

I'm not sure how this became a discussion about the stipulation that everyone's friendly in-character, but I'll bite.

I think Ciarente's story is great. However, not everyone is a conniving bastard. EVE is dangerous. But the thing about EVE is that everyone chooses just how good or bad they are. This translates to our characters. Hatele is by no means a saint, but she isn't going to dick you on every turn.

I'd like to see more IC conflict, but as long as we aren't letting OOC friendships get in the way of IC/IG actions, then I don't mind either way.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #76 on: 12 Jul 2012, 00:09 »

I guess I wasn't clear, sorry. I meant to use that interaction to illustrate the idea that not being 'urdoingitwrong' doesn't mean being nice, fluffy and covered in rainbows.  Istvaan was pretty scary to me ICly and a bit OOCly too, given all I knew about him as a player was the GHSC reputation and he didn't interact with me at all OCCly until much later. But what he didn't do was what other players did do, which was have their character say ICly to Cia 'pod pilots can't have children, you're lying' or 'why don't you just mail him, if he isn't on the mail system he doesn't exist, you're lying'.

I never forget that Istvaan has the demonstrated capacity to screw over a player and/or their corp. But to return to the OPs metaphor, he doesn't step on the air hose.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jul 2012, 00:22 »

Oh, definitely.

Some people just can't play well with others, sadly.

I think this thread hit the nail on the head but the reality of it is that people are always going to block (which ultimately leads to clique behavior too).

:s

I guess no Roleplay at all is better than playing a different vision of the sandbox?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #78 on: 12 Jul 2012, 04:07 »

Sometimes yes, but I honestly have never, or very rarely, had to ignore or block someone in Eve. Unlike in more conventionnal MMOs where 90% of the RP "community" gets in the ignore list and/or in my kill on sight list.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:46 »

Sometimes yes, but I honestly have never, or very rarely, had to ignore or block someone in Eve. Unlike in more conventionnal MMOs where 90% of the RP "community" gets in the ignore list and/or in my kill on sight list.

Hmm.  I've only perma-blocked one RPer in this game.  Sort of glad now that I haven't played other MMOs (I don't count my flirtation with APB as "playing". :) ).

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #80 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:52 »

Hmm.  I've only perma-blocked one RPer in this game.  Sort of glad now that I haven't played other MMOs (I don't count my flirtation with APB as "playing". :) ).

Whatever you do, if you value your sanity, never play World of Warcrap.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:59 »

I've only ever blocked people who spam stuff that's illegal (isk spammers) or hideously irritating (people who put in about 50 newlines in chat in local in a single post).

Never blocked anyone from the RP community because it seems counterproductive - doubly so if they're someone who hangs out in OOC or the Summit. Also, only seeing half of a conversation is more annoying than seeing both halves even if one of the participants is someone who I would like to kick so hard their testicles come out their eye sockets.

Whatever you do, if you value your sanity, never play World of Warcrap.

Mal. Barrens chat.

* Morwen Lagann flees from the incoming wails of abject horror!
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:04 »

Never blocked anyone from the RP community because it seems counterproductive - doubly so if they're someone who hangs out in OOC or the Summit. Also, only seeing half of a conversation is more annoying than seeing both halves even if one of the participants is someone who I would like to kick so hard their testicles come out their eye sockets.

I don't hang out in OOC or The Summit with all my characters (e.g. Maris, who has IC reasons to stay out of The Summit). :)

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:31 »

Mal. Barrens chat.

* Morwen Lagann flees from the incoming wails of abject horror!

There are no words in Entish, Elvish or the tongues of Men to describe the level of sheer stupidity that is embodied in the truth of these statements.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:03 »

Vieve: To clarify, it's an administrative thing. If it's someone who doesn't hang out in either of the channels I'm more inclined to employ a block if it's that bad. But given the ones who I'd be inclined to block are the ones I need to keep an eye on... :bash:

Mal: I've never actually played WoW, myself. Just heard horror stories. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:25 »

Fortunately, you could always leave those channels in WoW so it just stopped being a problem for me. I only did some light RP there (mostly as dwarves named after Minmatar systems from EVE, heh) on an RP-PvP server, but I enjoyed the time I did spend on it.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:17 »

"urdoingitrong" starts at character creation, for player characters. (CCP actors have the ability to get around this)

The limitation of game mechanics, means that everyone went to the same 12 schools.

There is no such thing as a Khanid Kingdom native pilot, mechanics wise. They all trained at Imperial Academy, Hedion Uni, or the RAI.

It means any Khanid kingdom loyalist, can be asked "So, why did you abandon your Duty to the Empire to support King Khanid?".

Happens with many other factions too. esp. the pirate factions, like the blood raiders. Anyone that says they are a blood raider supporter, mechanics wise, has to have trained at e.g. Imperial Academy. And so, must have turned their back on the Empire, having been an Imperial citizen initially.

Mechanics wise, there are only 2 kinds of player character. "Big Four" citizens, and former "big four" citizens.

If you say there are more, then you are adding something that cannot be proven by game mechanics, and that is something that will, eventually, be called on.

Thereafter, it is all about cliques and in-groups, as to whether or not player X's character is what the mechanics say they are, or what player X says they are.
\o/

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:42 »

Mechanics wise, there are only 2 kinds of player character. "Big Four" citizens, and former "big four" citizens.

I recall some creative ways around this from a previous discussion, for example.

"I was born and raised a Blooder."
"Then how the $#%& did you graduate from the Imperial Academy?"
"When they found out I could hook up to a pod, someone with connections back home pulled some strings and got me in. Living with those pious pricks in the Empire sucked."

It means taking what we seen in game as simple information and avoiding the (admittedly highly likely) assumptions that go with them. So, for example, taking someone's original capsuleer school as just that - it's where they trained as a capsuleer - without taking it as a guarantee that they are/were a citizen of the given faction.

Yes, it's a stretch. But it opens a few options without being horribly immersion breaking.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:48 »

One can also look at the schools as an insidious form of attempted indoctrination.

Why else would the Federal Navy Academy (example) only accept Gallente bloodlines when there's a huge variety of people within the Federation who might want to sign up there who aren't of one of those bloodlines?

Could it be because they want to try and reinforce the notion that serving your 'genetic' nation is a great and wonderful idea? The empire-aligned NPC capsuleers have to come from somewhere, after all - we're the Unbound ones who can come and go as we please and serve whoever or whatever we like - but surely there are many who actually buy into it. ;)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:51 »

Or, you know, somebody hacks into the school registration DB to list you or get you admitted just because of CONCORD licensing requirements.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8