Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 48391 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #135 on: 17 Nov 2011, 23:31 »

Guh. We offer it up to our kids just fine. I distinctly remember when we were being taught about Norse mythology in school and I had to go "Wait... why are we mostly Christian in Norway again? This is awesome!" It is probably the only religion I can cotton to, slightly. Don't get me wrong, there's pretty much nothing that can make me believe in -any- religion but the Norse mythology certainly provides some downright fantastic examples of ideals and concepts to aspire to. Strength and courage. Loyalty and willingness to stand for your beliefs. A severe distaste for deceit and falsehoods. All good things... and yet it doesn't fall into the trap of being unrealistically idealistic. It accounts for all the crap out there and admits that all these things aren't even remotely possible to make universal. Just that it's something each and every one can aspire to.

Besides... I can't get past that Ragnarok is the most mindshatteringly awesome end-of-all-things out there. When even the Gods themselves die in fire, by wolf, by world-serpents and so on, it just can't be beat. Especially given that it's just a reset button for a single mortal man and woman to create a new world.

Recently spoke with a Belgian friend of mine who is also interested in that mythos and it struck us... why has this not been made into a movie? Just name it Ragnarok, set it in 2012 (for the lulz) and just do the End of the World Norsestyle, with the Gods themselves coming down to Midgar for the end times. Hell, even Hollywood should appreciate it since it'd allow for the love-story of the two remaining humans after it's all done. Just imagine all the greatest Nolan Disaster Movies you've seen and superimpose Fenrir gaping from earth to the sky, Jormungandr in an epic struggle with Thor and his Mjølnir, Odin Allfather and all the other Norse Gods and Bad Guys clashing throughout the movie... and do it all from the perspective of a few mortals. Never let them interact with the Gods, just have the world powerless as the destruction reigns.

Gods, that'd be the best damn disaster movie of all time. I can't believe no movie-maker hasn't seized upon that yet.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #136 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:36 »

I'd let them have their joys in peace but I don't like the idea that a whole generation of American kids will get a completely fucked-up idea what Norse mythology is...  :bash:

"HAI GUYZ LOL, DID U KNO TEH BYFROST WUZ RLY A GIANT TEKNO TRANNSPORTER BEEM?!"
"What? Where did you learn that?"
"I USED 2 RED TEH THOR COMIC BOOK LOL"
"Riiiight."

Ancient Mythology isn't learned from a comic book. Comic books are for entertainment, not education. (with exceptions.) If someone is quoting a comic book, you shouldn't be taking them any more seriously than if they were citing Star Trek to teach you about physics.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #137 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:59 »

Actually the magic = technology thing is much more a feature of the film, magic is well established as existing in the Marvel Comics universe.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #138 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:01 »

I really liked the story about Loki tricking Thor into thinking that he was pregnant.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #139 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:06 »

I really liked the story about Loki tricking Thor into thinking that he was pregnant.

o.0

also, are there any unintentionally funny bits? e.g. in Oblivion, one time, I, playing a blue elf, was on the unicorn, galloping through teh forest whilst naked except for a magic ring, then I arrived at a town, and there was an NPC there, who uttered the unintentionally funny statement:
"Oh. It's You. Hi"
as if naked dark elf women riding unicorns are a common occurrence. :D
\o/

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #140 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:16 »

I like the one where Loki gets mounted by a horse and gives birth to Sleipnir.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #141 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:17 »

I like the one where Loki gets mounted by a horse and gives birth to Sleipnir.

Norse mythology putting the 'Best' in Bestiality.  8)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #142 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:20 »

:|

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #143 on: 18 Nov 2011, 21:37 »

Yeah, not a fan of the horse AI so far. :P

Vikarion

« Reply #144 on: 18 Nov 2011, 21:43 »

I dunno. Shadowmere has managed to take down 2 dragons to date, albeit not without some help.

Of course, that was before I got fireball. Now he rarely gets a chance.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #145 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:24 »

Any true game-fuist will agree with this statement.

"The Iron Dagger is the most powerful weapon in the game"
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #146 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:32 »

Iron Dagger is mad OP at the moment, not even kinda joking. The souls of miner slaves across Skyrim feed my Iron Daggers

also Aura Whisper is an amazing Shout for dungeon checking.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #147 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:36 »

I'm fairly certain I'll need to play this game through more than once. Not only do the different weapon styles seem appealing enough to warrant entire characters, but the sides of the conflicts in the world also deserve exploration... admittedly, a little of the surprise and discovery will be absent, but I do so want to smack someone in the face with a greatsword.

Also, is anyone taking perk trees to their top tier? Because its starting to seem like I don't even have to...

Archery for example. Quick shot is useful, but Ranger? Moving faster with the bow drawn? And they're both required to get a15% paralyze chance from Bullseye? Seems like a waste of two perk points that could make my alchemy or lockpicking better.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #148 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:56 »

If you have a killer rig, I seriously recommend getting some 3rd party tools to turn on ambient occlusion, supersampling etc. Makes a HUGE difference. Looks gorgeous. Mah eyes x_x

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #149 on: 19 Nov 2011, 13:14 »

Confirming that smacking a dragon across the face on a snowy mountaintop with a greatsword you've made yourself is indeed pretty epic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23