Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: SoCT Brainstorming  (Read 10251 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: SoCT Brainstorming
« Reply #45 on: 28 Apr 2011, 05:06 »

Well, it demands always a lot of preparation and thinking before RPing SoCT, especially when it is not your primary situation (I amarrian loyalist). But now almost everything my character says, especially on the IGS and especially in theology, is definitly SoCT oriented.

Amann Karris

« Reply #46 on: 28 Apr 2011, 20:18 »

Point 2 can be done, at least as far as shuffling blueprints for invention goes, or harvesting W-space for goodies, but I really get the feeling that most of the stuff the SoCT develops is far far beyond anything we as players can grasp at. Amnesia tonics? Brain-scrambling euphoria devices? Not sure you get those by smashing datacores together in a POS lab. That's not saying it's pointless to do science and industry with a SoCT-aligned corp, but it might not be the single most relevant thing to put effort into.
http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=01-06-09

The thing to ask is this:  In The Blood-Stained Stars, why would Dagan be so adamant about getting into W-space, and why would he be so set in getting "big guns" when going there to get "weapons"?

http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=06-09-10

Compartmentalization really isn't an issue with normal cloning.  However, brains are a special case when cloning.  Now, think about what you just stated; amnesia tonics, brain-scambling...

:bear:
The truth contains lies. Including the cake.
Especially the cake.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:03 »

Knowledge about Sleepers and entry into Jamyl's boudoir, apparently.
Old-chron-pic-Jamyl, not modern-day-hairbun-lady-Jamyl :|

Vieve

« Reply #48 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:31 »

...which means that complete systems are inconsistent and consistent systems are incomplete.

Housework seems like it could be a decent example of a Gödelian system.  If it's thorough (complete), it's inconsistent, because it needs to adapt to changing seasons or household needs.   If it's consistent, it's incomplete (because the system doesn't adapt, it doesn't include everything that needs to be done).

I'd test this at home, but the consistency side of the experiment might conflict with my current Chaos Theory-based housekeeping practice.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #49 on: 03 May 2011, 10:27 »

Hmmm... so many ways to roll with this project...

The way I'm currently leaning to get stuff started is to form Kitzless as a research hub of some sort. Meta-investigation and in-game observation and studies of mysteries. Collation of W-space research, for example.

Might there be an interest in having an in-character forum for discussing these things that elude us?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #50 on: 03 May 2011, 10:30 »

I'm still pondering the right way to go about this. I do think having a site for OOC and IC discussion would prove worthwhile, however.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #51 on: 07 May 2011, 08:43 »

Well, while I work on structuring this stuff, and try to milk people for more ideas, I think I'll just get Orphan World started on a modest in-game project to gather exploration site junk.

Amann Karris

« Reply #52 on: 07 May 2011, 09:24 »

Patience.

Opportunities will present themselves.  :yar:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #53 on: 08 May 2011, 21:31 »

It's an interesting train of thought, actually.

Imagine humanity in present day. What do we strive toward? To make our lives easier.

We create the science of medicine to combat the diseases that plague us. We create the science of war to fight our enemies, and defeat them. We strive for the highest possible quality of life, and thus, our life spans are extended.

Well, what if all those goals were met? What if we didn't have to fear disease anymore, due to our medicinal advancement? What if the last war was fought, and we decided as a total human race never to fight one again?

What if every problem of our modern world, was solved?

Would we find new problems to worry about? I think we would. I think that, as our knowledge of the universe grew... the things we DIDN'T know... would bother us more and more.

There's a theme here. If there's a problem, we want to know how to solve it. We always want to better ourselves, to improve our standard of living.

But what happens when every human desire we have is provided for? What happens when every question we've ever asked, is answered?

Will there be more questions to ask? What happens if we run out of questions? Things to wonder? Things to explore and understand?

Now, imagine a post-singularity humanity. One whose ability to answer questions becomes so advanced, that they're answered right after asking?

Imagine an universe with nothing left to discover. No more search, no more hunt, merely all the answers you ever needed.

Imagine knowing everything.

Imagine knowing everything as a species whose sole evolutionary goal was: "Know more."

Wouldn't you get depressed too?

"Know more... no more."

When there is nothing more to strive for, man will end himself.

Or something in that direction. I can't recall where I heard, or read it, but that's more or less the quote from an answer to 'What happen when we have achieved... everything?'

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:10 »

Just stopping by to note that this has not been abandoned. Horatius is actually in Kitzless now, but my personal schedule and other projects have conspired to block progress a bit.

Still open for collaborators!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #55 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:36 »

\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:08 »

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
No newsletters at present, but there is an in-game channel: "Int-Per-Mem"

Somehow I forgot about this. Channel still active? IC or OOC?

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:31 »

The channel is still up and is IC. Doesn't see much activity yet though.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jun 2011, 12:07 »

So what's the current status of your project?

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 15 Jun 2011, 12:15 »

Still open for a dozen different approaches, and in need of collaborators to cross some off the list.

As I said before, it's difficult to attract people without a specific plan, and it's difficult to set a specific plan without people.

I could just rule with an iron fist and pick a single direction and steam ahead alone, hoping that the minuscule pool of newsletter subscribers think that's not bad enough to tag along - but I was never very good with that sort of management style.

As I'm the only one actually doing stuff at present, there's also no time scale or pressure to deliver, which means that until someone formally joins up and asks "okay, let's decide what to do!" very little will probably happen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5