Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: The New Portraits  (Read 26402 times)

Benjamin Shepherd

Re: The New Portraits
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:23 »

Holy Christmas fuck.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:00 »

That the trend currently where everyone in a bloodline looks very similar will continue.
From what I understand, the new system will allow for far more customization than the old one. Even if it doesn't, at least everyone will look snazzier  :D

That while they will have marvelous animations for the cloth and great motion capture, the models might look 'plasiticy' a la Everquest 2, or might have issues with like, the hair and the body seeming 'seperate' in a subtle, jarring way (something that seemed to be there, for me anyway, in the animation video. Maybe that's just me)
I'd attribute that to a mannequin effect. The clothsim demo was probably made before they had developed the detailed skin approximation we see here, and they have probably been tweaking the hair since we first saw it. That said, we're still talking about realtime 3D avatars here, and it's not gonna be 100% realistic even though CCP have done a tremendous job breaking out of the uncanny valley here.

That while tech demonstrations are great, it's far off, and technical constraints will mead something that people find comparatively disappointing.
Certainly possible.

Still, I hold a certain amount of faith in CCP to deliver a certain sort of product. It might not be bug free, it might eat your boot sector, but 9 times out of 10, it'll be pretty.
As long as I get to play with my internet spacepeople, I'll be entirely distracted from my lack of bootsector.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:17 »

The area I still want them to explain is the game mechanics that will find all this life. It won't just be elaborate station spinning, so what will we do?

Looking forward to their answers.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:29 »

My hope is that their being largely silent on it is to make it a surprise, rather than because there is nothing to say.

OFC, it is quite possible that there won't be a ton to do in the first release, and they will add stuff. That's how all of Eve was to being with, after all.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:41 »

But it doesn't answer the most important question,

How spikey can I go!?!? D:
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2010, 16:04 »

1. Old news is old.

2. Yes, it looks good.

3. Poly count on that render from Maya will probably be over 100,000. A decent gaming rig won't take pleasure in drawing more polys than that at any given time.

4. You will need CUDA to get the most out of this new system, which means buying an nVidia graphics card. Now, I have one, but this kind of decision makes me want to  :bash:
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2010, 16:07 by Kyoko Sakoda »

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2010, 17:20 »

What is wrong with CCP not posting this sort of thing to the main page? Sigh. Any other links with more of these? Amazing.

It is work in progress content. If you put this on your main page people will expect you to deliver a product just as good. Hence why I feel CCP should also be more careful with their promises on the forums at times, It builds a certain image in people's heads and if it then does not happen there are tears. Although I perfectly know what it is like to be enthusiastic about the ideas you have and willing to share them with the community.

As for the portraits, they are fabulous. My concern however is that is they will be just a little less good than this is that we might end up in the uncanny valley. Although any half-decent design team should know about that.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2010, 17:38 »

Perhaps they can focus graphical detail on the portraits, and then render the graphical avatars separately. I'm not sure how that would work in terms of memory usage, but it would seem to be easier to have it like that.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2010, 17:42 »

GET ME MOAR PIXURS PLS.

And hmm, while the graphics is exceedingly nice on those, the Sebiestor and Civire both have very similar, aryan looks (with only the archetypal Sebiestor long face being clearly different). I expected that from the Civire, really. I wouldn't really mention it otherwise, but as this is a demo.. why choose so similar looks? Makes me think because they all are similar.

Then again.. hmm, I have been wondering about the char gen in general. If you really get a lot of toggles and switches to play with, they could make it so that you can make any look from any bloodline (the current options in the game right now really are somewhat caricature-like and I think that will lessen with the tech allowing more realistic looks)... so how do they actually differentiate the bloodlines?

Of course, I'm just afraid that they're gonna take Intaki looks in a direction which I won't like... the looks of my avatar are one of the most important things in a game (less so in current iteration Eve of course, but even so I chose Intaki for GoGo because of the looks) and changing them in a bad direction will very likely drop my enthuasiasm for playing the character. That happening in Eve, of course, would be pretty bad (due to the skill system). Well, at least it would if I played the game. ;)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2010, 18:25 »

Needs moar meatball hair.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2010, 19:23 »

As long as I continue to have Suicide Girl type options for Casiella (Sebiestor) then I will live. For my other characters, I don't currently have as much mental investment in their looks.  Though I expect that to change in Incarna as I've started working to move to a new main.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2010, 20:45 »

They seemed to have nerfed Deteis foreheads.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:31 »

They seemed to have nerfed Deteis foreheads.

Where all these other pictures folks are seeing? Links will be appreciated!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:42 »

Still no Gallente Gallente portrait, baw /o\

I hope the 3 Amarr bloodline male portraits aren't all old men, and that Achur/Jin-Mei get a serious looking to as well.

"lol caricature"  :|

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #29 on: 05 Oct 2010, 10:34 »

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=803

blog on new avatars, contains pics
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14