Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Up to the plate again - New Gallente RP corp  (Read 6057 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Up to the plate again - New Gallente RP corp
« on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:17 »

So, EL-G was formed in the wake of things looking dire for the Gallente. Then after 3-4 months of going at it forever, along comes 2010, a mass wave of FW victories and, as a result, a crapload of RP ejaculated everywhere, including Federal nationalists, Intaki racial supremacists culturalists and Caldari loyalists.

It was a pretty awesome time, though unfortunately it was short-lived. With the dissolution of Strix, I've taken it upon myself to do what I did with EL-G, and take the onus, though this time, there is no specific 'objective'. EL-G, despite me styling it for various other things, was goaled towards the liberation of Federal space from Caldari occupation. It did its 9 month lifespan, completed its objectives, and faded into the history books. Now, with this one, I would seek to do something more general, there are various options, but before I list that, some preexisting variables.

1) I enjoy the "military" RP that comes along with being a Luminaire General...going the corporate or megacorporate route makes me fidget uneasily a bit, as being a Federal officer as well as a corporate tycoon seems a bit 'eh'
2) In order to appeal to a wide enough base and playergroup, being able to justify any and all in-game activities with an RP foundation would be necessary. EL-G was all paramilitary.
3) It will be in the FDU.

Some options...

PMC

Gallente RP has huge scope for 'Blackwater' style stuff, as demonstrated by Strix. If you think to more general sci-fi, particularly in a near-future, Earth-based one, you have a lot of mix of corporate-government relations and interactions. Senators hiring mercs for protection yadda yadda. A couple of issues that need to be addressed...

- Strix has already done it
- How would you justify doing industrial activities?

Conglemerate

A mini-alliance composed of nothing but Role/title groups of various subsidiaries depending on what you do in game. "Guardian Services"  for combat pilots, "Speedy Extraction" for miners etc. The issue with this is that it's hard to 'focus' on something specific, and generic corporation might be a bit bleh. Also, again, the space general CEOing it seems out-of-place, and justifying over militaristic activities (which I am a fan of) gets a bit eh

Supremacist organization

Mass Effect's Cerberus and stuff, a front corporation and organization dedicated to spreading Gallente influence by any means necessary, including dealing with criminals where necessary. As such, operating colonies, mining and building ships is all justifiable, as long as it pertains to the 'primary goal'. I am a fan of this one myself, but not sure if it sounds redundant, and maybe cliche.

Sorry if this post is a bit shit. I've had a very, very strong beer (7.5%)...but I would love to hear your thoughts!  :D

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Up to the plate again - New Gallente RP corp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:24 »

I can see the PMC very easily. I would think a number of them exist, and you certainly couldn't say that one corp couldn't form because another one did something similar once upon a time. You'd need to put your own spin on it, but I think you're capable of that.

With that said, why would you want industrial stuff? Just for recruiting? If the new corp is in the militia, I'd think that you'd do best focusing on fighting.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:29 »

:) Well personally for the industry stuff, I'd like to get into PI for passive income, and caking that with as much RP as possible I would like to do...because PI has LOTS of scope for RP fluffiness

Of course a name is an issue...Federal Auxiliary [Services], Federal Protection Services, Advance Federal, AdvanceSec, Advance Securities........

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:31 »

Too bad PI doesn't have a corp interface or any ties to FW, otherwise you could establish a system in Gallente lowsec as your base of operations for such things.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2010, 03:18 »

Why not a megacorp? Even if you primarily consider Seriphyn a soldier rather than a capsuleer, there's nothing wrong with a "retired" military officer setting up shop. Helps if he has the connections to the military so he has an immediate market for the stuff the corp makes. Possibly even a lucrative deal for the corp's "security division" (due to mechanics, entire corp) to enter the militia. And isn't Seriphyn a politician already? How that goes down with being in active service - armed forces usually need, for obvious reasons, be outside of the regular party politics. (Of course, there are lots of contrary cases where frontier politicians have also been military leaders, but the Federation is supposed to be a developed nation.)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2010, 16:00 »

What about Consulting services? consulting these days covers anything and everything really.....you just need to lie between your teeths and always say yes to the customer  :lol:

Regardless though, if you are going to stay in FW, PMC should be the best option. However since you want some PI background, i think a sister corp that is funded by the PMC but to enable development and reconstruction in a non-profit scheme would probably be a good option. Like saying, hey we are capitalists here, but pro-bono over there and both corps have the same shareholders.

Add culturalism domination and you are set.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2010, 16:09 »

Didn't you say Seri has significant ties to the FIO? Wouldn't they have significant need for.technology development by defense contractors?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2010, 18:06 »

Didn't you say Seri has significant ties to the FIO? Wouldn't they have significant need for.technology development by defense contractors?

I decided to use the Black Eagles infodump to set his status up as an SDII capsuleer, though this is secret to pretty much everyone unless they have close FIO ties. His public buffoonery is a lovely cover to making anyone think he is one xD

I think a mix of PMC and supremacist is what's on the cards...FALANX is the name I'm thinking, which is going from the Greek/Latin name schemes of Gallente NPCs (Federation Praktor Legionarius etc.)...the question is what it stands for...the anti-Nation channel exclusive to the Federation is...

Federal Alliance Against Nation Attacks

I quite like it, but need to alter the acronym for this context.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2010, 21:20 »

You really have lots of options and room.

Quafe
You could play up the Quafe angle, especially since you have already established this connection.

Since losing State corporate status, Quafe could be looking for a way to increase its "patriotic" Federal corporation branding a bit.

There are plenty of other corporations that are Quafe subsidiaries.

Seriphyn really makes a good candidate for leading Quafe's sponsored nationalist-PMC.

Nation
The Nation story arc may not be around forever; you will want to have other motivations as the story of New Eden moves along.  Tying your corporation's existence to an event has the disadvantage of "What happens now?" when the event ends.

PI
You can setup a corp to produce PI products (ie POS modules) for profit, but you need to be sure that production of the end-product is worth having 10+ players all contributing their PI time (say 30 min/day) to the corporation's efforts.

You will have to sell the corp outside the traditional RP community.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 14:36 by orange »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:41 »

Re: selling the corp to folks outside the traditional RP community, that's really something that can benefit a corp tremendously on multiple levels.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 03 Aug 2010, 00:09 »

Re: selling the corp to folks outside the traditional RP community, that's really something that can benefit a corp tremendously on multiple levels.

Agreed. Veto did this, and by doing so they established a reputation for themselves that everyone knows about.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2010, 09:01 »

Okay, the marketing to outside of RP community is a big thing, but I would need to brush up on my FC and CEO skills...instead of just pure RP fluff leadership

I have been wondering if resurrecting EL-G with a new spin would be something. Instead of a direct Federal paramilitary unit, it would be a "paramilitary organization" and be independent of the Fed (at leasty overtly).

Activities such as mining and colonial operations would be less about the more corporate endeavour of generating ISK, but acquiring resources to contribute to EL-G's goal...

But yeah, biggest difference is that it's no longer directly Fed. it's hard to leverage that anyway.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 07 Aug 2010, 09:12 »

Activities such as mining and colonial operations would be less about the more corporate endeavour of generating ISK, but acquiring resources to contribute to EL-G's goal...
So, you are saying that members need to be entirely self-sufficient and donate to the corporation's cause.   Sounds like how most corporation's work.

Being a freelance paramilitary does not seem unique enough to join up versus signing up for a more well established corp that does the same.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 07 Aug 2010, 22:14 »

Okay, the marketing to outside of RP community is a big thing, but I would need to brush up on my FC and CEO skills...instead of just pure RP fluff leadership

I have been wondering if resurrecting EL-G with a new spin would be something. Instead of a direct Federal paramilitary unit, it would be a "paramilitary organization" and be independent of the Fed (at leasty overtly).

But yeah, biggest difference is that it's no longer directly Fed. it's hard to leverage that anyway.

Ooo. Come do all the work for me in the Estate. You can be my general guy, and I'll sit there looking pretty, it'll be amazing.  :s

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2010, 17:19 »

I was sorry to hear you had left from RK, but overall I think that in Eve the more focused your initial recruitment into a specific class of gameplay the better off you become in the long run.

If you decide you wish to become involved in PvP in the short term then focus on picking up people to join you who are into the same thing in the short term, but not hardcore pirate or anti-miner elitists.  Then once you have established a bit of a base of people and have built up a slight reputation then announce operation of a industrial wing for instance and recruit players into that at a slower rate.

For the direction of your corp in a RP sense I think your best bet would be to go as PMC with ties to either Quafe or another gall based corp that spans a rather wide area.  This will give you freedom of movement as you see fit with a fluid base of keeping people interested and sharp in a variety of situations.  Working with FW is something I am not at all familiar with so basing out of lowsec on the borders of the fight might be a good idea on paper, but basing in High sec might work out better in practice.
Pages: [1] 2