Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: "Everyone RPs Gallente"  (Read 12983 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: "Everyone RPs Gallente"
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jul 2010, 08:52 »

Just a few quick comments.

While the idea that America and the Caldari share the idea that they moved to a new land and started over with survival values dominating is certainly right in my view, they went about it in very different ways. The Caldari become collectivist in a sense that is more Asian-minded and the Americans became very much individualistic. That's a big and remarkable difference.

Also, just as it is dangerous to lump all of the United States into a single monolith country, so it is with Europe - even more so actually because of the longer inherited identities involved in European polities. One easy way to divide Europe is to consider the north and south very different in values, but for some countries (such as the French) that may be a bit too simplistic of a view. Just saying that telling a northern European that they ain't industrious is a bit of an insult - though I'll take that from an American, considering that country's economic importance in the world.  ;)

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010, 08:58 by GoGo Yubari »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #61 on: 29 Jul 2010, 08:58 »

Except, as Vik pointed out with his example of how the world views Americans and how Americans actually are, your preconceived notions are invalid, because they are brought with a particular bias that assumes that the people within an entity are homogenous, which is exactly what I was stating and your reply in no way addressed. I stated what I saw as an issue with your argument, you restated your argument without in any way addressing what I stated.

Good show.

Ignoring snarkiness, would you still find an Amarrian holder at a Gallente bar running around spinning her blouse over her head? I should though perhaps spend more time with the Amarr bloc. Upper class, snooty and that, if they'd spare the time to interact with Seriphyn. From a personal point of view, sure, people can RP however the hell they want, but I'd like to find some folk to be more immersed with.

If you check out this story here, this is an example of how you can worldbuild in the Federation, which has the biggest scope for it.

Any EVE culture + Gallente democracy = Original Federal setting

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #62 on: 29 Jul 2010, 09:07 »

I'm not entirely sure that Amarrians have the same taboos about sex and such that we project on them. I'm no expert on the matter, of course, but I suspect there's significant variation there. Just like IRL, drawing from my own cultural experience, we have "naughty Catholic schoolgirl" stereotypes, and if you've never seen what supposedly "evangelical" youths will do when they want to party... yeah. It doesn't exactly fit what their leadership might like, because they think they're immortal and only hang on to traditional morals when it suits them.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #63 on: 29 Jul 2010, 09:56 »

One also has to consider the impact of a new cultural influence on pilots: the capsuleer and spacebound society in itself, which brings a whole new breed of standards, expectations, and moral boundaries. I think we as capsuleers have created a whole new culture which blends many of each culture's values together. In that sense I can see how the influence of gallente multi-ethnicism may have been adapted for capsuleers, just as 'corporatism' (from the state) has taken on our structure of business.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #64 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:03 »

Ignoring snarkiness, would you still find an Amarrian holder at a Gallente bar running around spinning her blouse over her head? I should though perhaps spend more time with the Amarr bloc. Upper class, snooty and that, if they'd spare the time to interact with Seriphyn. From a personal point of view, sure, people can RP however the hell they want, but I'd like to find some folk to be more immersed with.

Even if you ignore what Kal just said, you need to remember that the Amarr are based on the Byzantines to a degree. Byzantine and Roman (the Byzantines being the more Orthodox of the roman split, as compared to the HRE which was less Orthodox Roman by a long shot) are well known for their Decadent lifestyles. Vomitoriums? Sexual relations with young boys? Animals? Any of those sound familiar? (For the record this wasn't just the Romans and Byzantines, the Egyptians, Carthaginians, Celts, and many other early societies committed a number of these practices)

The fact that people have a twisted view on what the society's the Amarr are based upon were really like based on the ways things are taught (with a slant towards modern moral bases) doesn't make their twisted view true. As much as we want to consider our society as being incredibly liberal in comparison to the past -- and in many ways it is -- from a sexual perspective we are hugely conservative in comparison to many of our ancestors.

Hugely so.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #65 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:08 »

Even if you ignore what Kal just said, you need to remember that the Amarr are based on the Byzantines to a degree.

I see this presented more and more these days. I know a bit about the Byzantines. I'm gonna put y'all on the spot and ask for sources pointing to connections.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #66 on: 29 Jul 2010, 16:07 »

[admin]Unlocked, split the Amarr discussion hereHope everyone keeps the guidelines in mind. While the OP is a bit borderline, I think there is some worthwhile discussion being had. I'm glad that to a large degree people seem to be exercising self-moderation, and explaining their views rather than dwelling on someone else 'doing it wrong'. [/admin]

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jul 2010, 20:00 »

Personally, I don't like to compare fictional cultures and societies to real ones because when you get to the heart of the matter, beyond many of the general characteristics there are simply too many differences to really bridge that connection. And ultimately what happens is we form those bridges ourselves, adding characteristics into the fictional world based on its societal comparison until they really ARE the same.

I think what a great building exercise in this little study would be to identify some major factors in what really influences a civilization, and from those characteristics, document those influences and build something from that instead of saying, "well these guys are pretty Norwegian, look at the nose!"

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #68 on: 08 Aug 2010, 20:44 »

Personally, I don't like to compare fictional cultures and societies to real ones because when you get to the heart of the matter, beyond many of the general characteristics there are simply too many differences to really bridge that connection. And ultimately what happens is we form those bridges ourselves, adding characteristics into the fictional world based on its societal comparison until they really ARE the same.

I think what a great building exercise in this little study would be to identify some major factors in what really influences a civilization, and from those characteristics, document those influences and build something from that instead of saying, "well these guys are pretty Norwegian, look at the nose!"

Could not have said it better myself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]