Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con  (Read 2715 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
San Diego Comic-Con
« on: 20 Jul 2010, 17:34 »

Hey everyone. I'll be going the the SD Comic-Con in a couple days. It's a pretty big thing, and it's been a couple years since I went.

While it's technically a convention for 'comics', movies, games, and even TV shows are all heavily represented. It's quite an event.

I regret not writing a bit about my experiences in years past, so this year I'm going to try and type up a few things about what it's like on the days I go and post them up here.

May not be of interest to everyone, but at the very least I'd like something more concrete than my extremely spotty memory.  :D

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: San Diego Comic-Con
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2010, 23:13 »

Day 1:

Got to the con, picked up my badge no problem. Headed down the the floor. First, a quick word on how CC is structured:

The San Diego convention center is a very large building (and the con is large enough now it spills over to a couple nearby hotels). The ground floor is one huge room - the convention floor. Everything from 3-story-tall models of the Warner Brothers water tower to artists busting their asses to make a living doing sketches at folding tables near the edges.

Most major movie studios, a large number of television stations, video game publishers, large toy manufactuers, and ofc the big comic book companies make up the really extravagant booths toward the center. Generally the booths get smaller and less glitzy as you move further out.

On the second floor, there are the rooms where they hold panels, workshops, things like that. Screenings of independent films and anime are held in a nearby hotel (a Hilton, I think), along with a few other events.

About 140k people attend over the 4 days

Thursday (today) is generally one of the less busy days, but it was still packed. I spent several hours wandering the convention floor, checking out the artwork and avoiding the densely packed masses around the central booths as much as I could. People in really impressive costumes everywhere, really cool art, it's just a neat place to check out.

Mid-afternoon to evening, I checked out 3 panels in a row.

The first panel, I actually only attended to get a good seat for the second and third (all three were being held in the same room. They have about 10-12 rooms where they hold these things, I just got lucky). I actually had no idea who Robert Kirkman was, though he's a pretty big name in comics, from what I understand. Anyway, the panel was a blast, even though I was totally unfamiliar with the guy's work. He was funny, and I came away from it feeling like his stuff is something it might be worth checking out (even though I'm not a big comic person.)

Second panel was the 'British Invasion' - panelists were British writers of comics, TV, Movies, and books. I'd wanted to attend because China Mieville is an author I've enjoyed reading and he was on the panel. I wasn't disappointed, as the conversation was entertaining and surprisingly deep during the Q & A portion.

Last panel was about the 'science' in science fiction. A couple of scientists and a couple of writers for TV and movies basically explained how it is they strike a balance, and what their view is of how to balance realism with story. Interesting stuff, and it gave the definite impression that writers - at least these writers, were fully aware on some shows when they were breaking the laws of reality, and did it consciously , or as one panelist put it, 'with malicious aforethought'. Also the two astrophysicists on the panel agreed that Armageddon was about the worst movie ever, as far as they were concerned. :P

Anyway, I somehow lost my pass, so this may be the *only* day I do a write up for. Will be trying to get a replacement tomorrow. Will also try and get a few pictures, cause man there's some pretty crazy stuff.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2010, 23:18 »

About 140k people attend over the 4 days

That alone is amazing.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2010, 06:20 »

I actually had no idea who Robert Kirkman was...I came away from it feeling like his stuff is something it might be worth checking out

Love it when surprises like that happen.

at least these writers, were fully aware on some shows when they were breaking the laws of reality, and did it consciously

Gotta pay the rent, I suppose.

Anyway, I somehow lost my pass, so this may be the *only* day I do a write up for

oh noes!

Great write-up.  I've never been, and wouldn't go based on my preconceptions of comiccon, but if it's held in a convention center near me in the future I may just have to go and check this out.  I guess its worth asking if you think it was too big.  So, did you think it was too big?

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:52 »

My wife and a couple of friends are down there. I personally quit the con circuit about a decade ago; I always end up spending more than I intended and also end up feeling vaguely ill most of the time I'm there.

... Guess the crowds just aren't for me.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2010, 17:31 »

Considering trying to buy tickets for next year (which means next week I will have to buy the tickets).  I have been to DragonCon a few times (when I was in SouthEast), feel like I should try to go to ComicCon.   And next year the little one will be 3 and thus able to say how cool all the people dressed up are.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2010, 17:34 »

I'll be at Arisia in Boston in january if any of you are there.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2010, 21:57 »

Ok, so, I kinda slacked off on this, as I was pretty destroyed for the last few days. I'll try and get some stuff up, or at least a few pictures, soonish.