Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Author Topic: Looking for a name?  (Read 1380 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Looking for a name?
« on: 17 Jul 2010, 16:20 »

Then you might want to look here:

http://tekeli.li/onomastikon/

There's also some background material on the cultures covered. This is likely not very useful for EVE purposes but might be useful in other contexts.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2010, 07:22 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Looking for a name?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2010, 05:09 »

I often use agent names. Just find a corporation from the right background at http://www.eve-agents.com and mix and match syllables.

I know the background of Caldari names (mostly Finnish) - anyone know for the others?

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2010, 07:24 »

Matari names seem to be a mix of norse/scandinavian names and african names. I think there might be some maori in the mix as well.

Amarrian names seem to show a bit of an Indian influence (some of them anyway). And by that I mean Indian as in the country next to Pakistan.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2010, 08:38 »

The Sebiestors seem to me to have more of a Norse/Scandinavian flavor, with the Brutor more Maori. That's not entirely accidental. ;)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2010, 14:12 »

Hm, slightly offended that Finland is included under the title of "former Soviet Union". (Okay, it is included in the Scandinavian index, too, so perhaps could forgive the little slip - and anyway, Finnish, Estonian and Karelian are related languages.) Namelist has some names misclassified, as pet forms of biblical names are classified as Finnish names. (I assume other languages are researched at a relatively similar level, Finnish is just the easiest for me to check since it's my native.)
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2010, 14:19 by Mithfindel »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2010, 14:40 »

For those interested in such things, you might find some of the tools at Seventh Sanctum helpful in addition to the links above. :)