Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Author Topic: [Story] Just a Little Bit.  (Read 950 times)

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
[Story] Just a Little Bit.
« on: 16 Jul 2010, 09:39 »

Just a Little Bit.
Kerrin Jem

Essentially, this is me at 1am, needing something to do. Character Development seemed a good idea at the time, although I may regret even starting this story when I wake up and read it tomorrow. I'm sorry if it makes no sense, and yes, it probably has a few mistakes I haven't noticed in my tiredness. But still! Read, comment, enjoy, love.

Or not.

“Oh yes! Yes, that's good, yes. Just a little bit longer now, oh yes, right there!”

He applauded the large metallic clunk as it resonated through the hanger, another piece had fallen into place, it's contribution helping to form something that was much greater then a single piece of modified ore could ever hope to be on its own. A simple process really, the construction of a ship, it was being done in thousands of locations all across the cluster, this was a movement that had happened innumerable times since the dawn of industry. But this one was special, depending on where you looked at it from anyways.

“See that, yes, right there.” the fast-talking Sebestior turned from the glass screen that he had been pressed, forehead flat to for the past hour. He pointed and jumped and brought the attention of everyone else sitting in the waiting room down onto the construction floor below. “That plate... no, not that one, to the left a little... yeah... there we go! See that?” the man puffed his chest, his thumb now pointing firmly to himself. “The tritanium in that, I mined that, hell, I mined all of that. Pretty damned impressive, huh?”

The enthusiastic response from the scattered customers and employees was, lacking, to say the least.
“Come on! Show some spirit, this isn't just your ordinary ship. No, this one is unique, no other vessel in existence is like this one. Millenniums of preparation have gone into this ship, each atom with its own history, its own story, unique. This...” he swept around so that he could look at the assembling giant, “... is the greatest compilation in all of  history. A library of time unimaginable by any scale we could ever attempt to comprehend.” he took a deep breath, sighing in response to the magnificence of another plate being lifted to the skeletal frame.

“Mr. Jem!”
“That's professor to you!”

From the corner of his eye, Kerrin Jem could see the approaching woman stall for a moment, his response was unexpected. He liked being unexpected.

“Ok then, Professor. May I inquire as to what you think you're doing?” the woman, who, judging by her demeanor, Kerrin deduced to be an employee of the factory. Well, that and the uniform she was wearing anyways. The irritation in her voice was obvious, her attempt at 'playing it cool' had failed miserably, her smiling face almost cracking as he replied.

“Watching the ship. How about you?”
“Err.” the woman had no time to come up with an answer, Kerrin spun on his heel, his own smile now flashing at her disorientation. He liked disorienting.
“Don't answer that. You see, I don't really care. Do you have anything I could drink?”
“Err.”
“No, don't answer that either. I'm fine.” his head moved quickly from face to face in the room, they shared common features, confusion, pity, fear. “No really, I am!” He stomped his foot in protest.

Confusion and fear he liked. Pity, not so much...

Ok, maybe just a little bit.

“Fucking Capsuleers.” a new voice, this was one male, gruff, masculine. There wasn't much doubt there, this one was quite angry. One could say infuriated, in fact. Kerrin would have to see what he could do about that. The poor man obviously had something wrong, nothing that Kerrin couldn't fix. “What was that?” he sneaked passed the female employee, he was silent and did not look back once, lest she realize that he was no longer where she believed him to be.

Of course, for a fully grown man to hide in plain sight was an impossibility. He could feel her eyes follow him across the room, he knew that he wasn't invisible. It wasn't like he believed that he was so amazingly gifted that he could mold space itself to his whims. Well, maybe just a little bit.
Escaped from where the woman had cornered him, Kerrin took a seat next to the angry man. “What's wrong, sweetie, come on, tell me, what can Kerrin do for you?” he went to brush the hair from his eyes, a friendly gesture, was it not? Yet, his attempt was met with violence – his outreached arm roughly brushed aside. “Don't.”
“Don't what?”
“Go away.”
“Don't, please.” Kerrin through his other arm up in the air, “Whatever happened to manners. I like manners. Not the Mannar though, I never did meet one I liked. Poor people, not their fault. Must be why the Federals never give 'em anything. Ah well.” he shrugged, then stood suddenly, his body firm, rigid. “No! Not 'ah well', I'm going to Luminaire now! That bastard president of theirs is going to hear what I have to say! Nice meeting you all, I hope you have a wonderful day.”

Kerrin rushed to the exit, bowing his head quietly before disappearing from sight. Only to reappear at the entrance only moments later. “Screw that. I never did meet one of them I liked, did I say that? I need a drink.”

He left. A collective sigh of relief flooded throughout the room.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 01:48 by Jianni Sotaku »