Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: [Planet] Utopia III  (Read 2569 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
[Planet] Utopia III
« on: 11 Jul 2010, 23:01 »

What a world Utopia is, it beats and breathes and groans like a great machine. So full of promise, so full of expectations, so full of dirt.
-Unknown

Colony Common Name: Utopia III
Colony Local Name: Utopia Prime
Governtment Type: Feudal Mob Rule, Overseen by the Angel Cartel
Population: 210 Million
largest City: Incision
Principal Exports: Jovian Artifacts, Metallic Ores, Simple Mechanical Parts

History: Little is known of Utopia IIIs long and varied history, as the seat of the second Jovian Empire. What is known, is that when the Jovians left on their motherships, leaving millions of their own people stranded on the surface to die, they, in what historians believe they saw as an act of mercy, destroyed their cities from orbit. The powerful and mysterious weapons of the Jovians reducing vast swaths of land to glass, turning entire cities to ash, and darkening the skies for decades.

The world was silent for centuries. And then the first settlers arrived from Empire space. Far from the oversight of any governmental body, Utopia III was a haven for criminals escaping the law, and the numerous, small cities that grew up dotting the wastelands were run by mob rule, survival of the toughest. Those settling there were the desperate, those who had simply had no where else to got found refuge. No questions were asked of the history of those living there, and it in fact, became a local insult to inquire about the past of anyone there. The quiet acceptance of people from all walks of life made it almost a refuge for the lost souls of New Eden.

When the Angel Cartel took control of the skies above, and claimed Utopia III as their domain, not much changed, the Cartel claimed control of all the planet, and taxed the imports and exports, as well as recruiting from the planetary population, but all in all, things on Utopia III have been as they always have been, rough, and harsh, but rewarding for those who chose to make it their homes.

Geography: Utopia III is fairly dry, despite large oceans, the weather is mild, leaving much of the world without precipitation. The plants covering the green areas of the surface are hardy and persistent, mostly grasslands, rough, small forests, scrublands, and deserts. The seas and skies are stained with murk from the unregulated industries of the world, and the deserts are all slightly darkened with the ashes of the Jovian civilization, and large plates of glass from the detonation of massive weapons still scar the surface.

Industry: The major product of Utopia III are metallic ores, often send orbital as raw material or only mildly processed. Large pit mines with cities rimming them cover the surface of the world like open wounds, and massive vehicles called crawlers roam the surface, consuming everything in their path.
Many independent explorers wander the deserts and plains of Utopia III, earning their meals collecting small scraps of Jovian technology and selling them in open air markets.

Largest Cities:

Incision
  • Population: 29 Million
Salvation
  • Population: 24 Million
Perfection
  • Population: 19 Million
Serenity
  • Population: 17 Million
Procession
  • Population: 16 Million
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2010, 12:10 by Nikita Alterana »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: [Planet] Utopia III
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:06 »

Hm. Nifty writeup, Niki-- risky, however, unless you're extrapolating from something CCP has published?

I've admittedly done some of this myself with Saisio III, suggesting a rugged, geologically (as opposed to climactically) unfriendly planet, but I've been kind of stopping short of, say, naming major cities. This sort of thing strikes me as a neat exercise in the "likely," but I also feel like we need to tread lightly where CCP is likely to, one day, publish countervailing information. At that point, the only real solution is to immediately rewrite.

That being the case, and considering that Dust 514 is going to involve a LOT of planetside goings-on, perhaps you might consider applying this to a slightly less "central" world? Utopia is one of those systems that CCP's likely to actually use, after all.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:40 »

honestly, I was bored at 2am and it was a fun writing exercise, if CCP changes it, I can simply shift to another planet in Curse, maybe just use Utopia IV, and modify this post to suit the real Utopia III.

But honestly, we barely know anything about even the homeworlds of the four factions, so I don't see it as too much of an issue.

And for all we know, if enough people like this description for the planet, it could end up as PF eventually, we know that's happened before with player content.

Its one of those things where, its fun to do, and if a retcon is needed eventually, so be it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:04 »

Hm. Point. And, like I say, it's not as though I haven't done similar stuff.

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2010, 12:10 »

Well, I think it's very good stuff. I think PI is virgin territory and people should go wild to be honest. There's always risk in creating such material but I think the benefits outweigh them.

Cos

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2010, 12:15 »

PI has really given me a lot to think about as well, so I'll be interested to see how the community and CCP develop some of the fictional implications.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2010, 15:16 »

Did you base this off what PI shows us of the planet? If not, might want to take a look. If you did, then you've done a good job at outlining a possible truth. I agree with Aria though the city naming goes that little bit too far. But looking at the piece on its own this is a nice planet study.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Aodha Khan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:15 »

Very nice.  :)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2010, 09:29 »

As someone who is doing planet sketches myself, I say well done. And given that in the seven years Eve has been in existence we don't even have complete details about the racial homeworlds, I wouldn't worry too much about CCP coming along and undermining what you've done.

In some of my fiction I've named cities and places on the Intaki homeworld and I named a few in my descriptions of the Frairie and Brarel colonies. It gives people a point of reference and something to use in their RP.

If CCP does come out with cannon that contradicts what you (or I) have written, then their material trumps and we go with that. In the meantime, I say keep building sandcastles in the sandbox.