Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that a theremax is a musical instrument constructed of a thin, black piece of rubbery material with embedded oscillators that is played by moving one's hands in the electric field it generates? (p. 100)

Author Topic: Hardware. Feed me your braingoo, geeks!  (Read 2040 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Hardware. Feed me your braingoo, geeks!
« on: 09 Jul 2010, 09:35 »

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 seems to be the new favorite amongst medium-high laptop manufacturers, and I seek your advice on it. I'm ordering a laptop soon, because I'm honestly fed up with this bullshit old craptop (HP Pavilion Dv7 or something like that... I think... can't for the life of me remember.) and the fact that my wrists are SEARING when I play a game that doesn't predate Pong. Oh, and that the DvD player got an identity crisis and seems to be utterly incapable of understanding it's supposed to recognize DVDs in addition to CDs.

How well does the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 measure up these days? Will it let me play this years games at average/medium settings without exploding? How will it react to Eve?

Geeks, attend me!

(As for the rest of the specs in question, there's too many laptops I'm considering to post them all. They're all in the medium-high end of the spectrum though, and I'm fairly certain they're fine, gaming wise.)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: Hardware. Feed me your braingoo, geeks!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2010, 10:53 »

The 5850 is still the best budget card on the market atm (unless nVidia finally released their whateveritis, in which case it will be the second-best).

I have the 5870. It does everything I need it to do and then some. It's a phenomenal card. It's good to see AMD turning ATI around, because I used to only buy nVidia, until the 5870.

So.

It's great.

You won't be disappointed. Not in the slightest.