Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eve Offline 4.0  (Read 5220 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Eve Offline 4.0
« on: 27 Nov 2018, 15:27 »

Release on the 30th.

Not gonna lie, I'm equal parts hyped as hell and very very worried. X: Rebirth was more of a coathanger abortion and a betrayal of the entire franchise, but everything I keep seeing about X4: Foundations seem to be a return to form. Everything we loved in X2, X3 etc only bigger, better, shinier, prettier, dakkaer, etc etc.

A singleplayer first person universe simulator, as complex and in-depth as Eve's ever been, with better combat, prettier graphics and so on? The drawback of there not being the social aspect of Eve is balanced by the delightful benefit of it not having the cancerous social aspect of Eve. Fuck I want this to be good.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Re: Eve Offline 4.0
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2018, 15:59 »

I'm with you. Very hopeful for this new release... X:Rebirth was wtf?
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2018, 16:30 »

Should probably have linked this video that talks a bit more about the gameplay. Claims to be the biggest and most complex (in terms of gameplay options) space sandbox out there. If it follows X3's example, I wouldn't at all be surprised.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2018, 16:42 »

I got turned on to X2 early in my EVE career as I was looking for something EVEish I could play that I didn't feel bad about just exiting out of at a moments notice.  I *think* I eventually finished the campaign.  I didn't make nearly as far in X3... I remember having some graphics issues early on with it that may have been why.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2018, 16:59 »

I have never finished an X game. I suspect it's kind of like Factorio and that sort of thing. I play, I trade, I fight, I do the thingies and then after a while I get distracted and later start anew because THIS time I know I can do X and Y and it'll be so much better and then I get distracted and then I start anew and this time it'll be so much better because OGOD FUCK ME NOW THERE'S AN EXPANSION and so on and so forth.

... I don't regret it at all though. X2 and X3 were extremely basic in the whole immersion thing when it came to piloting ships, but this time that doesn't look like it's an issue at all.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2018, 08:45 »

Damn near five hours of pre-launch streaming.

Haven't watched it myself, still debating whether or not to avoid spoilers, but I felt I should share anyway.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2018, 09:15 »

Aaaaaand it's out! Into the cockpit in five... four...

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2018, 09:36 »

Will take a look tonight.  Let us know your initial thoughts!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2018, 10:09 »

... well, after 50 minutes, my first impression is "ogod either I am completely retarded or this is just as - if not more - impenetrable than its predecessors."

I have no fucking idea what I'm doing and the game is asking me to do a tutorial I can't find. This is going to be one of those games that's going to take me a LONG time to figure out the control, UI and mechanics of and then when it's all second nature it'll be fucking amazing.

... I hope.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2018, 11:14 »

Just looked at some initial reviews and they concur with you that controls are not intuitive at all.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2018, 11:30 »

I got close to a bunch of sparkles, accidentally touched something and got contacted by a fish in a tank telling me they wanted to figure out faster than light speed telepathy and other things, and long story short I have been thrown across several sectors in some sort of warp rift and have now been paid a few hundred thousand of the fish's captors' credits so I can buy a suicide ship full of antimatter batteries or something.

11/10, game is complete bonkers and I haven't the faintest fuckin' idea what I'm doing, what I'm SUPPOSED to do, how to progress half the tutorials and this is my fourth start.

Found a shipyard that sells capital ships, I think. Although I think you can't outright -buy- ships as much as you create orders and they build them on demand? I think... it's time I just mapped out a few sectors or something. It seems to be the only reasonable path forwards.

Nissui

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2018, 13:18 »

Someone aught to stream this tomfoolery.  ;)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2018, 13:35 »

Looks ambitious!

Don't care for the graphics / art direction personally, sort of like a Homeworld / Eve 2005 hybrid

Looks like the type of thing you could get sucked into and spend quite a bit of time.

Happy space adventuring :)

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2018, 17:22 »

I got close to a bunch of sparkles, accidentally touched something and got contacted by a fish in a tank telling me they wanted to figure out faster than light speed telepathy and other things, and long story short I have been thrown across several sectors in some sort of warp rift and have now been paid a few hundred thousand of the fish's captors' credits so I can buy a suicide ship full of antimatter batteries or something.

11/10, game is complete bonkers
:| :s :eek: :lol:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 01 Dec 2018, 07:46 »

Welp, first actual bug (that screwed me pretty good). There seems to be a thing where if you buy a mining ship and try to trade, you lose the ability to trade entirely, whether you're in the mining ship or not. You can fix it by selling the ship. Which happens at a severe loss. I'm now down almost 300k, in an attempt to make some money, heh.

Welp. Egosoft is apparently aware of it and working on it.

Pages: [1] 2