Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roleplay activity outside EVE.  (Read 6103 times)

Nissui

Roleplay activity outside EVE.
« on: 30 Aug 2017, 09:55 »

So with the sentiment that some RP is getting hard to find in New Eden, I'm curious: is roleplay something you do elsewhere? If so, where, and how? Is it mainly RL or VTT RPGs, or do you make it work in other MMOs as well?

It's a longshot, but maybe a brainstorm along these lines could provide useful ideas for people having trouble with EVE RP.

Alex Hinkelmann

• Clonejack
Re: Roleplay activity outside EVE.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2017, 16:21 »

https://roll20.net/ is a good avenue for creating some old fashion RP. Characters could easily be transferred over to a Mongoose Traveller style game.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2017, 16:23 by Alex Hinkelmann »
I-RED Executor

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2017, 16:48 »

As mentioned elsewhere, I (and at least 2-3 other people on these forums) are super-active in Black Desert's roleplay scene. I'll let them pipe up if they want to.

It's still mostly text-based for the actual roleplay (and entirely, when done on Discord), but even when not moving around the addition of avatar gameplay allows for a much more immersive experience imo, especially when it allows you to see visually where everyone is, who they're near, etc.

A friend designed a tabletop-style system that we sometimes use to randomly generate adventures within the game world, too - it's pretty fun, and in the end only about 20% of the time/effort is the mechanics of the system (dice rolls, resource management, etc.). The rest is all done through RP.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2017, 17:57 »

I've been RPing for a long time, EVE was just one of many temporary pitstops along the way. So yup, I've done and do plenty elsewhere. MMOs used to be pretty good for it, but over the years they've been growing more and more unsustainable for RP regardless of which one you're playing.

As for where I've been getting my RP fix, over the past year I've mostly been focusing on roleplay on a Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world and in an over-the-internet pen-and-paper group over Skype and Roll20.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2017, 23:57 »

Outside of a little personal arc RP in eve, it's limited to DnD and 'roleplaying out' in Crusader Kings II games (such as only taking decisions that my character based on his/her personality traits would take) but other then that I'm just playing games for the sake of playing games of late.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2017, 07:34 »

I do all of my RP in EVE these days, and usually I'm not very hungry when it comes to that. Some arcs progress slower than I'd like, but at some other times I had to juggle more balls than I could handle.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2017, 08:10 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2017, 07:40 »

My one and only experience of RP is Eve...unless you count theatre, lol.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2017, 09:02 »

I'm still in a d20 Modern campaign that started with friends and when we can't hookup for beers and platonic solids we've gone through a variety of messaging and conference services as decrepitude and responsibilities set in.

There's still a MUD or two I hop into from time to time.

Other MMO and online games I just mostly play for the game itself and my RP within it is usually some variation of "Lonely Wanderer" Since it usually fits.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2017, 03:53 »

Over the years most of my RP has been of the tabletop variety. I started with AD&D, then graduated to a proper campaign setting (Gloranthan RuneQuest 2nd Ed). Over the years there have been periods of Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Star Wars (the old West End Games system), some of the old World of Darkness stuff (which is where I get my dislike of White Wolf's scenario writing), BESM, Ringworld, Traveller, a bit of MERP/Rolemaster. Also a ton of GURPS 2nd & 3rd edition in various styles and a smattering of diceless stuff.

Currently I play at a Monday night pub social group and once a month on a Saturday in a convoluted moderns horror/fantasy/conspiracy game that uses a lot of different sources for inspiration.

I had a brief period of activity in rubber sword LARPing (The Gathering & the Lorien Trust for anyone that knows the UK LARP scene) which died when the people I went with couldn't go anymore (fiscal & familial constraints).

EVE is my first MMORPG. I have flirted with others (Star Trek Online & a weird Korean Fantasy system called Rappelz) but EVE satisfies my needs in that respect. That said I might consider a Star Citizen or Elite sub with a rig good enough to run it and interesting people to interact with.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #9 on: 02 Sep 2017, 18:40 »

Lotta D&D. Currently DM'ing for a few of the MCF1B/Pyre/whatever community guys. Today they learned that fireballs are bad for the HP.  :twisted:

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2017, 19:22 »

Lotta D&D. Currently DM'ing for a few of the MCF1B/Pyre/whatever community guys. Today they learned that fireballs are bad for the HP.  :twisted:

To piggyback off of this, if anyone would be up for joining an IC D&D campaign (or, hopefully, DMing it), please send Sakura a mail ingame.  It's mostly mentioned OOCly, but I've dropped a few IC hints as well, so you could contact her either way about it.  Date/Time TBD, will figure that out eventually, but I've never played it before and it looks like a blast.

Most of the team's already vouched for, but I need a DM and another one/two players to round out the group.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2017, 19:26 by Sakura Nihil »

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 04 Sep 2017, 07:40 »

The tabletop group I rolled into two decades ago is still lurching along, even though we're all getting long in the tooth and sprouting husbands, wives, children and mortgages. I've been eyeing SWTOR for a change of pace in what seems to be a long tail to the classic EVE summer slump; but, like Samira mentioned, the rot appears to be everywhere. At least the class storylines are pretty polished?
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Nissui

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2018, 11:59 »

Been jonesing hard for a Classic Traveller game but no one in any of my discords is playing and Sunday is my only free day anyway. Somewhere in my parents' attic I have stored the old black box set and a couple sourcebooks on the Solomani. Anyone have any reading recommendations for supplements they've enjoyed?

kul Shaishi

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:19 »

I'm trying to get into D&d
If Eve has one lesson in it's narrative, it's that if you find any weird ancient space cybercrap, you should stick that shit straight into your brain ASAP, no questions.

Nissui

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2018, 22:53 »

It's a good way to break into the hobby, not too crunchy but enough structure to let players explore mechanics that work (or don't) for their playstyle. Lots of resources for finding games online these days, as well.

Go for it!
Pages: [1] 2