Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Character Ink  (Read 2475 times)

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
  • Causing Trouble As Best I Can!
Character Ink
« on: 21 Jun 2017, 15:45 »

I don't know if this has been done before so  but I will ask a simple question.

Does your character have tattoos and do they have symbolic meaning to them.

For example when restarted this character I had her come back somewhat as a mystery with ancient alphabet into her flesh.

That being said those tatts are gone but she does have the following:

Along her face the tattoo that marks her holder that has been altered slightly to reflect her status among the Sani Sabik.

And just recently she has been made a member of the Krusual Tribe and Mo'Lathun Clan showing her marks as a wife to an elder.

What about your character(s)?

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
Re: Character Ink
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 16:23 »

Putting aside the temporary tattoo on her neck and face she did on one occasion to annoy Nauplius who she knew would be attending a public event, Lunarisse does have a permanent tattoo. It is generally not visible and icly has been revealed only a handful of times so not well known beyond the few who have seen it.  It is on her right side under her arm running from about the bosom/upper rib cage to just above the hips. It is scripture in traditional old Amarrish script.

It is from The Scriptures, Book of Trials 2:1 and reads:

"All things were created by the Divine, and so the glory of our faith is inherent to us all;
When thine heart shines with the Light, thou shalt know no hardship;
When thine actions are in Light's name, thou art immortal.’"

The meaning is in the verse, and it was given to her in her early pre-capsuleer days as a Paladin to remind her of her conduct and it's meaning in the larger spiritual context of the Faith.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2017, 16:27 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 20:34 »

This thread is an invitation for Minmatar RPers to write 10,000 words.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2017, 22:16 »

Kaalakiota tramp stamp.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:34 »

Samira has her old voluval mark on her back. It's an archway and essentially represents the crossroads of life (inspired by one of Ava's old stories where she wrote of "n" as a symbol meaning something similar). Samira used to also have tribal/clan marks on her face but had them removed after she left the Republic. She has not taken any other tattoos since then as she still follows matari tradition in that the only tattoos you may have are those given to you by someone else.

Along her face the tattoo that marks her holder that has been altered slightly to reflect her status among the Sani Sabik.

And just recently she has been made a member of the Krusual Tribe and Mo'Lathun Clan showing her marks as a wife to an elder.

There is the issue that the Minmatar consider self-given tattoos to be extremely poor form, so the former Amarr/Sani Sabik tattoos would not be approved of as I'm assuming they were elective additions. That plus the fact that they're declaring Amarr/Sanist faithfulness would be highly provocative and likely risk assault while planetside, especially in Krusual territory. A clan trying to integrate such a person would be looked upon very poorly, because the Krusual are the most traditional and anti-Amarr of the tribes and are known for murdering Amarr faithful in their territories.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 05:49 by Samira Kernher »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:30 »

Since Elmund is Minmatar, all his tattoos have meanings attached. It is unknown how the other clans handle tattoos, but in his clan, the back of his right hand carries his name and family mark and his right wrist carries his clan mark. The rest of his right arm is basically his resume. He carries three Circle marks, with additional lines on the flanks denoting his rank and specialization, one mark for his RMS experience, plus lines denoting his division and rank.

However, ever since he had replaced his right arm with a mechanical prosthetics, the marks along his right arm converted into holos, which can be tuned to include more marks once they are earned. These are only displayed when he rolls up his sleeves. Name, family and clan marks are always laser-etched and precision-inked.

The left arm is for highlights of his life and career. There's one for his academic achievement, one for his reckless actions, with accompanying lines describing them involved MTACs and explosives of various descriptions, one for the stuff he did in the RMS with additional lines to better described the nature of those acts and one for being a capsuleer, with additional lines for first his first one hundred frigate solo kills and another for achieving a high rank in the TLF. The TLF mark was long since removed due to his having being demoted after podding a 'friendly' Wolf pilot in response to his own 'friendly fire' against a wingmate during a skirmish op, but the removal was imperfect so there are still remnants left.

He has a voluval mark on his back, though he does not really make a fuss about it. It's nothing remarkable.

There's another mark at his chest, where his heart is, to denote his 'married' status.

The one on his face is purely decorative.

Deep sea fish loves you forever

Utari Onzo

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2017, 07:54 »

Utari used to have an ID tattoo on his brow. That's long gone from his clones now, what with leaving the State for the Empire proper.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 08:34 by Utari Onzo »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2017, 20:22 »

Silver does not have any tattoos.

Amieta has several, including a Guristas logo (from being in the Guristas. Not very creative.) An elaborate and colorful one on her mid and upper back (the bits that are still skin). An image of the two sides of a coin, one above the other - one with stylized fish, and one with crossed swords.

Hilion has a wide variety of tattoos that fall all across a multidimensional chart whose axes are "age" "tech level" "skill" and "level of obscenity". Virtually any point in this 4 dimensional chart probably falls somewhat close to a tattoo he has.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2017, 10:21 »

This thread is an invitation for Minmatar RPers to write 10,000 words.
I have already given up on keeping track on Miz's ink.

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2017, 14:36 »

There is the issue that the Minmatar consider self-given tattoos to be extremely poor form, so the former Amarr/Sani Sabik tattoos would not be approved of as I'm assuming they were elective additions. That plus the fact that they're declaring Amarr/Sanist faithfulness would be highly provocative and likely risk assault while planetside, especially in Krusual territory. A clan trying to integrate such a person would be looked upon very poorly, because the Krusual are the most traditional and anti-Amarr of the tribes and are known for murdering Amarr faithful in their territories.

With the exception of her Amarr Tattoos and Sani Sabik Tattoos, Casserina's Matari Ink were given to her by her husband's Clan marking her as his wife. And he has one marking him as married.

I don't however see anything in the current Lore where there is an official view of the Sani Sabik via the Matari side of things (I could be wrong). Because as far as the Lore goes. Only in the Amarr Empire being a Sani Sabik is illegal. It is acceptable elsewhere. Which mean she could marry a tribal elder and still be true to her faith.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2017, 18:06 »

I don't however see anything in the current Lore where there is an official view of the Sani Sabik via the Matari side of things (I could be wrong). Because as far as the Lore goes. Only in the Amarr Empire being a Sani Sabik is illegal. It is acceptable elsewhere. Which mean she could marry a tribal elder and still be true to her faith.

It might not be strictly illegal, and such sects certainly exist within the Republic, though my point was more about public opinion rather than legality. The Republic in general, and especially the Krusual Tribe, is very antagonistic towards followers of Amarr-based faiths (with Sanism included, its presence in the Republic is referred to as a 'cult' in recent news articles), and Minmatar are not quite as afraid of capsuleers as people in other empires. My point wasn't to say you can't do it, mind, just that it is good to consider such things while RPing as your character is presenting it publicly via her tattoos. I'm speaking from similar experience, as I play an Amarr faithful who lived in the Republic for a decade. I RP that she was regularly harassed and felt very unsafe in the Republic as a result of her faith.

[spoiler=References]From EVE Source:
The presence of Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion is a major source of social tension within the Minmatar Republic...

... it is usual and wise for Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion [in the Republic] to practice their faith in private.

The Krusual have less patience than any other tribe for former Minmatar slaves who continue to follow the Amarr religion.

[The Krusual] are perhaps the most clannish of all the tribes and are the least inclined to work with those from other clans and tribes...

... The Krusual [emphasize] a highly traditional tribal life...

From EVElopedia:
... it is said that non-Minmatar capsuleers who baseline in the Republic must take extra precautions, as a blind eye is often turned to violence and other crimes against capsuleers, especially when the authorities consider such acts justified.

From recent EVE news:
The Tribal Council has recently been meeting more frequently and regularly than usual in closed session to "discuss matters of interstellar security and current challenges facing the Minmatar people". Matters for discussion are believed to include the so-called "Drifter Crisis", the recent spate of attacks by Blood Raider Covenant and Sani Sabik cultist forces, and the continuing issues of the border war and "slaver crimes" relating to the Amarr Empire.

The news comes at a time of increased non-tribal cult activity on Matar and other Minmatar planets, involving Sani Sabik sects, Salvation Church of Blessed Servitude branches and various “fusion faiths”, apparently in response to recent interstellar events.
[/spoiler]

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2017, 16:14 »

It might not be strictly illegal, and such sects certainly exist within the Republic, though my point was more about public opinion rather than legality. The Republic in general, and especially the Krusual Tribe, is very antagonistic towards followers of Amarr-based faiths (with Sanism included, its presence in the Republic is referred to as a 'cult' in recent news articles), and Minmatar are not quite as afraid of capsuleers as people in other empires. My point wasn't to say you can't do it, mind, just that it is good to consider such things while RPing as your character is presenting it publicly via her tattoos. I'm speaking from similar experience, as I play an Amarr faithful who lived in the Republic for a decade. I RP that she was regularly harassed and felt very unsafe in the Republic as a result of her faith.

[spoiler=References]From EVE Source:
The presence of Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion is a major source of social tension within the Minmatar Republic...

... it is usual and wise for Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion [in the Republic] to practice their faith in private.

The Krusual have less patience than any other tribe for former Minmatar slaves who continue to follow the Amarr religion.

[The Krusual] are perhaps the most clannish of all the tribes and are the least inclined to work with those from other clans and tribes...

... The Krusual [emphasize] a highly traditional tribal life...

From EVElopedia:
... it is said that non-Minmatar capsuleers who baseline in the Republic must take extra precautions, as a blind eye is often turned to violence and other crimes against capsuleers, especially when the authorities consider such acts justified.

From recent EVE news:
The Tribal Council has recently been meeting more frequently and regularly than usual in closed session to "discuss matters of interstellar security and current challenges facing the Minmatar people". Matters for discussion are believed to include the so-called "Drifter Crisis", the recent spate of attacks by Blood Raider Covenant and Sani Sabik cultist forces, and the continuing issues of the border war and "slaver crimes" relating to the Amarr Empire.

The news comes at a time of increased non-tribal cult activity on Matar and other Minmatar planets, involving Sani Sabik sects, Salvation Church of Blessed Servitude branches and various “fusion faiths”, apparently in response to recent interstellar events.
[/spoiler]

First thanks for the info. Looks like some of our RP will be trailblazing new territory.

The thing as I have discovered about the Sani Sabik Faith is the vast majority of it is in fact purely non-Amarrian. I can see a lot of sects being a fusion variety for a number of reason. Also we have the Krusual the least understood of the Tribes since they are mostly NPC's. For example my character is married to a Krusual despite the fact she is Sani Sabik. She married in the Krusual traditions as outworlder.

No blood was during the marriage and such practices would not dare be done on planet.

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jul 2017, 15:48 »

I don't know if this has been done before so  but I will ask a simple question.

Does your character have tattoos and do they have symbolic meaning to them.

Since tattoos are kind of a Big Cultural Deal in Minmatar society, all tattoos Tein has have some kind of meaning to them. She has a voluval mark, she obviously has the name/tribe/clan tattoos like most minmatar do, and some rarer tattoos such as those that mark her as an Empyrean, and as a Republic Fleet pilot - altough she was that very briefly, she got the tattoo along with her classmates and it was later modified to show that she no longer is in active duty roster.

Notable exception here is the tattoo I have as the most visible one in the game - it is there just to look cool / minmatarey and I in fact don't consider it to actually exist as I have not managed to think of a reason for it to exist - tattoos on the face are considered of great importance and not handed out all willy-nilly. I wonder if anyone else thinks the same way? That they don't acknowledge the tattoos they have in-game.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jul 2017, 17:11 »

Voluvals are the ones that don't appear very often on the face and are considered of great importance if they do appear there. Naming tattoos on the other hand are exclusively facial tattoos.

From the article you linked:

After the Voluval ceremony the young Minmatar will receive her permanent naming mark which will reside forever on her face. This mark will identify the name, clan and tribe of that Minmatar, plain for all other Minmatar to see. In such a way, two Minmatar meeting for the first time can immediately know these fundamental specifics about each other.

So what your character has would be a naming tattoo. :)
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2017, 17:15 by Samira Kernher »

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jul 2017, 18:21 »

I thought facial tattoos in general were kind of a big deal, with the visibility of the tattoos being a defining factor in their "value system", so in modern clothing ones on the hands and face would be the most prestigious and reserved for the most extraordinary feats one can achieve?

As for the "raccoon eyes" style tattoo visible on my avatar, I wouldn't consider it a naming tattoo, mainly because I've headcanonized naming tattoo something akin to a barcode - since all Minmatar would need to understand these, it would have to be standardized in some way and infact could possibly be just plain text.
Of course like in many things Minmatar I don't think we have any canon information what the naming tattoos are actually like - intricate patterns, text, or heck, even barcodes?
Pages: [1] 2