Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Author Topic: [Character] Kumakatok  (Read 3264 times)

Kumakatok

• Clonejack
[Character] Kumakatok
« on: 06 May 2017, 06:18 »

Public information:
Certificate of Licet Libertas issued by Ministry of Internal Order, Sarum Prime
Certificate N0-83455/AF/INT/BAR-4-23-23XX/Chibi

Slave
Hereby Freed: Raphael, with permission to be known as Kumakatok.

Status: Gunnery Sergeant, 23 Recon Regiment "Askura", Imperial Marines. Capsuleer by Grace of God and with holy blessing of His Eminence the Abbot Palatine of Alkabsi IV, to whom Service is rendered.

Height: 209cm
Weight: 127 kg

Appearance: A huge, brawny man who moves quietly and with controlled power, sinuous and lithe. A visceral feeling of disciplined control crackles from his military bearing, so the instinctive trepidation initially provoked by his powerful frame and disconcertingly silent movement is swiftly replaced by a correspondingly inchoate feeling of security and protection.  For all his size, he seems to have the ability to fade out of notice even in the most brightly lit of rooms.

His hair is shaved very short, as black as his skin, and his eyes are ebon dark with a shadowy melancholy and rarely still. When his gaze focuses on a person, they feel suddenly like they may be the only person in the universe, but usually, he keeps his eyes downcast in an oddly submissive gesture. His hand, rarely offered without invitation, is dry and charismatically warm, thrumming with immense strength but disconcertingly gentle.

In civilian attire, the astute observer may notice his usual stillness may very occasionally be disturbed by an unconscious shift of position, as if ameliorating a discomfort. The knowledgable will identify this as the habit of a penitent, someone who wears a cilice for mortification.

Private Information (not known IC except for very few people that may have discovered some of these associations.)

Background: Born as part of a military breeding program for navy slave crew, his mother died in childbirth, as did seven other women during that terrible night of some notoriety. The tribal midwives had been terrified by a storm that night which had been tolling the death knell as tree branches struck upon the breeding pens, and had taken it as an evil omen, now proven apt. The later Abbey inquest concluded more prosaically that this recent pedigree of children were now simply too big and powerful for normal childbirth to take place safely, and the genetic matching algorithms adjusted accordingly.

The boy whose arrival had heralded these deaths was called Kumakatok* by the tribal elders in propitiation of the spirits, but his given slave name was Raphael 7.

The Abbey of the Purified Heart, fiercely loyal to the Sarum Family for generations, and a major supplier of genetically improved slaves as well as fine seafoods and a noted seaweed delicacy, was a religiously conservative environment that relied on teaching unquestioning faith to the young slaves as well as many children of the aristocracy** - the latter well segregated, of course, but still in proximity. Raphael grew up working the oceanic galleys and this built in him a strong sense of team and loyalty, as well as a massive physical frame.

He proved an unstintingly faithful slave, and with his physical prowess was soon given over to the military Marine program. He excelled in all manner of covert operations, with a clinical aptitude for dealing death and a swift planning intelligence much favoured by His Eminence the Abbot Palatine. Soon under the powerful holder’s influence and protection, Raphael was recommended to, and accepted by, the secretive Sandman*** program operated by the Abbey under the auspices of the MIO. This unit was dedicated to hunting down runaway slaves and terminating those for whom holders or judicial courts had ordered a capital sentence. Due to the nature of the intelligence required to search for and find runners, many of the Sandman missions were also counter-terrorist in nature, breaking up rebel cells, infiltrating Matari insurgent groups and so forth. All this was conducted under the front of a mainstream Marine unit, the 23rd Recon Regiment of the 95th Imperial Marine Division (known as the “Red and Golds”).

When the technology emerged for creating Alpha clones, the Imperial Navy implemented a wide ranging testing program to try and keep up with the Federation which had seen a significant upsurge in new capsuleers. Raphael was quickly identified as having “the right stuff” and with appropriate blessing of his holder, proposed for training. During this period, the Abbot Palatine discovered his tribal name from the background checks, and found it vastly amusing to rename him for his new career. (In the pidgin dialect of Brutor used by his slaves, the emphasis in the name is kuma-KAH-tok, but His Eminence enjoyed the ironic play of his first attempt, which rendered ku-MAK-atok, sounding rather like the rebellion’s old symbol of the khumaak. Having a retainer who hunted and killed runners and rebels named like their precious symbol rather tickled his sense of humour).

Notes:
* While developing the character, but still without a suitable name, I remembered a story I had heard when living in the Philippines. There, the Kumakatok is a three bodied spirit which visits the homes of the soon to die and knocks upon the door (very similar to the banshee of Ireland and probably some other cultures). With his background as a Sandman, the idea of being the embodiment of a death spirit sounded very apt, and the incidental resonance with the khumaak made for a rather nice backstory.

** I conceive of the Abbey as being rather like a Jesuit seminary or Islamic madrassa. Dedicated to moulding young minds into conservative faith that will in many cases, provide fanatical devotion.

*** The Sandman initiative is developed as an idea from this scriptural quote:
"For whosoever shall lay his life down for his Lord
He shall be taken into the arms of God
And forever consecrated will he be.
But whosoever shall turn from the light
And run in fear,
The Lord shall abandon him
And forever forsaken will he be."
The Scriptures, Amarr Askura 2:3

I wanted to explore some of the more conservative aspects of the Amarr culture without either going down the nobility route or the more prevalent 'liberal, let's apologise for slavery' kind of approach. I may be wrong, but having read the threads here and reflected, I consider the Amarr see slavery in enormously different terms to our own culture and much less as the slavery seen in the US and Europe in the nineteenth century, but more akin to the institution seen in ancient Rome. I think this latter gives it some more options for RP and nuanced development in conversation with other New Eden cultures. Well, I hope so anyway!

Please let me know if I've got any serious lore mistakes. I will be asking more questions!  :)

Kumakatok

• Clonejack
Re: [Character] Kumakatok
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2017, 06:28 »

First couple of questions:

1) I've searched and not found anything. Has anyone laid claim to Alkabsi IV and done any world-building for that planet? I wouldn't want to step on any toes and its easy enough for me to choose somewhere else if it's already being developed.

2) I'm probably going to write an occasional blog to develop the fiction for Kumakatok. However, before I do the first story, may I ask how others have dealt with the minor irritation that not being able to choose your capsuleer graduating school (by faction) causes. Obviously, K was born and brought up in the Empire, but cannot avoid being graduated from a Minmatar school.

I have a couple of thoughts on this - the cheapest and nastiest workaround is that it's some sort of database error. Being a covert agent, I can work in a storyline of his faith and capability being tested by attending the RMS, but this is not very elegant. Before I commit, has anyone else tried to find an acceptable reasoning for starting in a school unaligned with what you would like your character to be?

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2017, 07:18 »

I'd just avoid making claims about any planet in its totality. Just try to restrict your worldbuilding to a just a part of the planet, and you should be fine in most cases.
-OOChé

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2017, 10:45 »

Seems like you have an interesting background! One of my alts is an Amarrian Minmatar and with that character I addressed the Republic school by saying 1) it was cheaper to get the capsuleer license there and 2) the character chose that school because she wanted to broaden her academic background. I think others have taken the path of having their character spend some time in the Republic including for their capsuleer education, and then they come back to the Empire. Since it's RMS you could always take some sort of "know your enemy" approach.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2017, 15:07 »

Seems like you have an interesting background! One of my alts is an Amarrian Minmatar and with that character I addressed the Republic school by saying 1) it was cheaper to get the capsuleer license there and 2) the character chose that school because she wanted to broaden her academic background. I think others have taken the path of having their character spend some time in the Republic including for their capsuleer education, and then they come back to the Empire. Since it's RMS you could always take some sort of "know your enemy" approach.

Wot she sez.

Also. Getting your licence from the Republic & then running off to shoot people for the Empire is a wonderful catalyst for tribal loyalists to come looking for payback. The arguments might get a bit repetitive after a while though  :bash:. Not sure where you'd want to go with that.

You might have a point about Amarrian slavery. However even the Romans didn't have a problem with working prisoners to death on farms and in mines. Basically a slave is considered to be less than a person. That's the main thing that makes non slaving folk hate it, both IC and in reality. In my opinion anyway.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2017, 05:21 »

Now I think about it...it could also be something like the Amish' Rumspringa, and returning to the Empire after spending time in the Republic could be seen as some proof of loyalty or something.
-OOChé

Kumakatok

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2017, 14:58 »

Thank you for the suggestions. It seems like using the graduation within the RMS might form the basis of a much better story, which is good, as that's my preferred option. I take on board the advice about world-building too. It was not my intention to cover the whole planet, but didn't want to develop my thoughts on the Abbey of the Purified Heart if someone had already made a significant effort to write about Alkabsi IV.

Another question. I have been observing the summit channels in game (as well as the IGS forum) and find it very daunting to start contributing IC. Any advice on getting one's toe in the water, so to speak?

Nissui

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2017, 15:30 »

Another question. I have been observing the summit channels in game (as well as the IGS forum) and find it very daunting to start contributing IC. Any advice on getting one's toe in the water, so to speak?

One possibility is something you see with some regularity on IGS: public events. Provides a sort of structured social interaction which can allow you to bounce your character off of interpersonal convention.

Rinai Vero

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2017, 15:56 »

You can always start a topic to discuss something that your character has some knowledge about, but that you'd like to understand better OOC.  Stir the pot and see what kind of information comes to the top.  I'm sure you're figuring out that there's loads of nuanced lore tidbits hidden around, sometimes the best way to find them is to let other players point you in the right direction.

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2017, 10:55 »

You could try posting statements as (rhetorical) questions. For example, instead of saying "There are no night clubs in the Amarr empire.", you could say something like "Have you ever seen a night club in the Amarr empire?"
-OOChé

Kumakatok

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2018, 16:50 »

I was wondering how I might get some RP going after a short break and the development of a couple of extra characters and then CCP brings the rebellions to Alkabsi IV.

What were the chances?  :D

Interesting stuff going on at the moment, and my congratulations and gratitude to all those here and in the RP community making such a good impact on our universe.