Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Author Topic: Inventors Summit  (Read 1608 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Inventors Summit
« on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:28 »

For those that might have missed it and have an interest in non-combat types of things, the Inventors Summit is back. This time, the challenge has to do with designing an AI to break into their prototype network. Cool stuff, with some choices to be made.

Please note that I don't have any affiliation with the competition sponsors or administration. I'm just an interested participant. :)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Inventors Summit
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:29 »

OOCly, this seems like a lot of fun, ICly, I'm not sure if Nikita is really in a position to participate in this, especially with being red to the people throwing it.

Have fun though, those of you who do get involved.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:10 »

This does indeedy look like a lot of fun. 

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2010, 20:15 »

Thanks for the attention.  :)

I had been struggling with this for some time now, as I wanted the event to be more interactive, but not too interactive that I'd get bogged down in rules. My first iteration of the project was going to pit players against each other with AI controlled robots, where players would actually contribute the AI (with if/then statements) and designs of their bots, but the mechanics I was designing was starting to turn into a full fledged P&P rulebook and I didn't want to overwhelm players.

Anyway, I think this is a better setting, and in my opinion, a somewhat under-represented aspect of New Eden. It's also rather amusing that I find myself having to dodge some wild concepts from players that think they can out-perform computers. (ur doing it rong)

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.  :o

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2010, 20:49 »

I didn't know that was you. :o

Good, that means I can bug you with questions here. :twisted:

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2010, 21:47 »

>.> <.<

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:31 »

Though Myyona cannot participate, Jowen most certainly can.

I'll think something up.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2010, 12:38 »

So, the idea I had behind this concept is to actually create a 'virtual grid', whereby corporations can essentially leave data as opportunities for other characters to discover and use as plot devices for themselves. So instead of simply announcing to the world about the new death ray we just invented and plan on using, a skilled hacker can hone his/her abilities and try to extract the information themselves. Since it leaves a measure of 'consequentiality' to the universe, I'm not sure many would be 'excited' about the idea, but I still think it would be a fun plot device.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2010, 13:47 »

I'm so disappointed in myself for getting distracted with OOG stuff and forgetting to submit for this. >.< More of this sort of RP is needed, whether in competition form or otherwise! :)