Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shedding the uniform  (Read 1029 times)

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
Shedding the uniform
« on: 07 Mar 2017, 22:00 »

So, I've had a bit more time to think about where to go with my character. Since I had to unbecome a member of the State Protectorate and spent a sizeable amount of time there, the culture is somewhat ingrained into Ria right now.

The easiest part to think through is the Lai Dai affiliation.

It suits the character in all the right ways - she's genetically Khanid, she is interested in R&D herself, you get the idea. It's an easy fit. This choice breaks down into two main avenues - keep it more research oriented, or take a swing into the security branch of the corporation. Second choice would place a heavier emphasis   on space explosions, when I have the time to actually play. First choice is well, pretty much what I've been doing so far. Additionally, if I'm not mistaken, sourcing crews - both ground and ship - is a good thing to do? I'd have to do a lot of reading up at any rate, but if I'm missing something obvious, please do point it out.

Now, I'm pretty much on a hiatus right now, which conveniently leaves me an open door towards defecting into a pirate faction. Now, the most obvious choice would be, of course, given the character background - the Angels. What I'm wondering about is how heavily are they involved into the slave trade, as that's not something she'd normally do. An alternative to the alternative is the Serps, where she could still possibly terrorise the hapless Gallente citizens, although I don't think she's that bitter. Still, she could dabble into the scientific field of drug production if she goes that way.

Thoughts, opinions?
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2017, 22:04 by Ria Nieyli »

Nissui

Re: Shedding the uniform
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2017, 00:21 »

I sympathize, downtime has been in very short supply over here. Research + Indy is great for content when you haven't much login time, as I guess you have found as well.

I can think of at least one Serpentis-aligned alliance that appears to have a large R&D division, perhaps including the biosciences and cybernetics. Might work for a more martial Khanid. The Serp regions of the map also seem to house a plenitude of seasoned roleplayers. If you haven't had serious animosity in the past, that might be an option.

Alex Hinkelmann

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2017, 01:14 »

There is always the more liberal aspect of the State to explore as well. Plenty of R&D & booster production to be had.  ;)
I-RED Executor

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2017, 16:44 »

All the main pirate groups are slavers to one extent or another. The Angels particularly so as they use some impressed labour in their pleasure hubs. The Serpentis are allied with the Angels, who run their security. The Guristas don't give a hoot as long as it's profitable. The Raiders need folks to bleed and are an imperial offshoot anyway. The Sansha just plain cyber-zombie folks (not to mention ghost dubbing them from the looks of it).

Sorry. No romantic & rebellious criminal types around here.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2017, 19:24 »

Lai Dai may be a good option, or maybe one of the practical faction of megacorps? Practical megacorps can be kind of shady, you can do some of the things associated with pirate factions without the immediate social stigma and backlash from other players.

That stigma doesn't last forever and can be overcome. Pirate RP can be pretty fun in that regard. As Arnulf said pretty much every one of the pirate factions uses slavery to some extent, but it's not the only criminal enterprise they do. The Angels for instance are also involved in drugs, extortion, security/protection, weapons smuggling, entertainment, research, archeology, cybernetics, espionage, and even humanitarian work ;)... really anything.

I kind of disagree with the idea that there are no romantic or rebellious criminal types. I've seen a fair few Gurista, Angel, and even Sansha characters who could fit those definitions. Idealists who say "damn the rest of society, I'm going to make something better on the fringe of the cluster."

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2017, 16:13 »

<snip>

I kind of disagree with the idea that there are no romantic or rebellious criminal types. I've seen a fair few Gurista, Angel, and even Sansha characters who could fit those definitions. Idealists who say "damn the rest of society, I'm going to make something better on the fringe of the cluster."

Ah, misunderstanding there. I don't mean to say there aren't romantic rebellious individuals. What I meant to say was the organisations are about as romantic as, say, Daesh or the Baader Meinhof in and of themselves.

Of course some individuals will kid themselves that the organisation that they align with is all fine ideals with the occasional regrettable compromise with reality. But they're kidding themselves. Much like the poor teenage schmucks that went off to fight in Syria.

But then all the factions in New Eden are corrupt at the core, no? Pirate or otherwise. At least to a degree.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.