Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Author Topic: Naming Conventions  (Read 604 times)

Miyoshi Akachi

• Wetgraver
Naming Conventions
« on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:53 »

Hello,
I'd like to ask for help about naming conventions.

In particular I'm curious about Caldari-Achura naming conventions. The last name of a child is the one of the father, like in European countries, or there is no particular guideline? Or they are choosen by other means?

What about Gallente, Amarr and Minmatar?

Thank you for your help! :)

Nissui

Re: Naming Conventions
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2017, 10:05 »

Looking over the list of family names, nothing really stands out to me, but my inclination is to assume they have a variety of origins: place names, occupations, references to Saisio history or mythology. I'm by no means an expert on Caldari, but they seem to hold the family unit as highly important and do not seem overtly chauvinistic (many Mega CEOs are female, as well as military officers, etc). Also there is some emphasis on achievement and personal contribution to the whole. As such, I do not believe it out of place for a family name to descend from whichever parent has the 'dominant reputation', but that is of course but one option.

Regarding the Minmatar, I tend to defer to the players' clan law and family dynamics. For instance, often times Vherokior clans are matrilineal so I play and write them as gynocentric, for lack of a better term.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Naming Conventions
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2017, 21:55 »

I usually play it this way with my character's name:

Given Name - Family Name - Clan Name

So Elmund's full name would be Elmund Efelate Egivand if he is required to state his name in full. However, since the emphasis is on Clan and the family name is usually only relevant in matters of genealogy, he goes by the name Elmund Egivand most of the time.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2017, 21:57 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever