Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Story: It is finally here.  (Read 1068 times)

Vikarion

Fallout 4 Story: It is finally here.
« on: 28 Jan 2017, 05:01 »

If you haven't seen it yet, I've started my Fallout 4 playthrough/story. It's here: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=7224.0  I have not canceled "After", but I had promised Morwen that I would do this, and after the release of Nuka-World, it felt right to not let too much time go by.

I love the Fallout series, first playing 1 & 2 when I was around 16 or so and first got a computer and managed to sneak them past the no-fun radar of the cult my family was trapped in. For me, the Fallout games were snarky, and mean, and darkly funny, pushing the moral boundaries and captivating in their story, fascinating in the detail and thought that went into the world, and the questions they let you ask.

I love Fallout 4 most of all. It has crafting and building, combat, and character growth. The world is alternate history, but much more realistic than it appears on the surface. And the questions it poses (whether the writers meant to or not, and I think they did) are fascinating too: Is Curie the Synth the same person as Curie the Robot? Are Synths human, even though they have recall codes, can shut down, and can be programmed? Even if they aren't human, should they still have human rights? What do they owe their creators, if anything? Is technology our salvation? Is freedom more important than survival? What is a human, what do we want to include in that? Is a better future worth suffering now?

And, in the face of total loss and despair, should one begin to roll the foundation stones back together, rebuild, push back the dark? Or spit on your hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats?

I love Fallout 4, yes, but I'm definitely humble about my talents as a writer, and if you come to the conclusion that I am nevertheless not humble enough, I accept that in advance. But I do think it may prove enjoyable, and I will warn you in advance that it will probably progress more slowly than some stories.

The point of view here is female, which also presents, possibly, a challenge. I have been wary of writing female characters, as I do not know everything there is to know about that experience, although I did grow up in a largely female environment at home. It worries me not only because I may be ignorant, but also because I have a tendency to be either careless or overcautious in my writing.

But then, this is just a little story on a little RP website for a somewhat-popular MMO. So I'm not trying to be pretentious. I'm just trying to pre-cut as-yet-unlit fuses, I suppose. Weld the pin to the grenade, just in case.

I'm writing it as female because it seems correct that way, for me (and I know I might only speak for me). All of the Fallout games seem to have a correct gender to me, for whatever reason. Fallout 1, the Vault Dweller, a man of Vault 13. Fallout 2, the Chosen one, a woman of the Arroyo tribe. Fallout 3, a young man, the Lone Wanderer. Fallout:New Vegas, a cynical and detached man pulled out of shallow grave and made a Courier once again, this time, for the House. And Fallout 4: a woman, her family torn away by war, claws her way out of a better past and into the present, determined to survive, to overcome, and to find her child and avenge her husband, if by the slimmest hope it is possible.

For those of you I know in real life, if any, you may have some amusement at the name of my character. Well, it wasn't the one I picked. I'd picked a perfectly respectable one, one that was...ok. And I was scanning down the list of names that Codsworth recognizes, wondering if I could find one a little better, and then I saw that one. And it was perfect, I don't know why. I rarely have names jump out at me, so I decided to accept it.

As for the details, I'm playing on Survival difficulty, for the first time on this difficulty (previously, I've only played on Normal). I'm enjoying it, but it is slow. I'm at about level 15, having done a lot of crafting and scrapping in Sanctuary, as well as a lot of cooking, because Survival difficulty demands you do some. I generally don't explore far beyond Wicked Creek Shipping in the south and Ten Pines in the east until around level 20 - 25.

I am playing with mods, although not many. The first isn't a mod so much as it is a basic batch file that simply allows you to use the console to expand settlement size. You cannot use console in survival mode, so I may end up adding a mod to allow that. I do not use the console to cheat in Fallout 4, although I will use it to correct for bugs or to remove objects. The second mod is one that reduces re-spawn times for enemies. In Survival, this is around 80 to 120 in-game days, as I understand, and that is boring. I do not play game, or, for that matter, life, to be bored. The mod returns it to the reasonable period of around 30 in-game days.

I don't consider either of these to be cheating. First, the settlement size mod is actually detrimental in terms of sheer efficiency, because every settlement in the game can be made efficient within the existing size limits. Expanding them merely allows people with good systems to indulge their creative side. Second, while reducing respawn times will allow someone to "farm" locations for enemies, the best farming systems for caps and items all seem to rely on either exploiting saving and reloading, or using settlements. It will probably actually make the game harder, as dying on Survival mode is time-costly (you can only save when you sleep or exit), and enemies can kill you and send you back to a save spot and time pretty easily.

Well, this is a bit long, but it's late and I drank too much coffee to sleep. I hope you enjoy my story. 
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2017, 12:34 by Vikarion »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Fallout 4 Story: It is finally here.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2017, 21:16 »

:cube:

I have been enjoying it so far, thank you!

It's really making me want to pick it up next time it's on sale. I miss home and even though FO4 would be a nuclear wasteland version of it, it would be nice to wander around semi-familiar places again.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2017, 07:06 »

:cube:

I have been enjoying it so far, thank you!

It's really making me want to pick it up next time it's on sale. I miss home and even though FO4 would be a nuclear wasteland version of it, it would be nice to wander around semi-familiar places again.

Not sure about that. It can be a mite unsettling to wander around wasted & blasted versions of places you know in reality.

However as regards the OP. I'm liking this story, and so far most of the game session inspired stories you've posted here. Though I did find the alternate WW2 very depressing.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2017, 18:08 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2017, 02:25 »

Nuclear wasteland Boston is going to be orders of magnitude better than intact Tacoma.

I currently live a stone's throw from the latter. I'd know.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.