Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Author Topic: Question on travel and time references  (Read 1101 times)

Skyweir Kinnison

• Clonejack
Question on travel and time references
« on: 22 Oct 2016, 06:32 »

What is the consensus on how our characters perceive time whilst flying?

For example, it would take me about 30 minutes in game (give or take) to fly from 7RM-N0 to Octanneve in Solitude. Is this the same for Skyweir or is there an accepted relationship (PF or otherwise) between in game time and 'lore' time - i.e. 1min in game = 1 hour for our character?

I ask because it affects aspects of character development I have in mind. Skyweir could easily commute from home, for example, if the travel time was equivalent to in game time.

I'm grateful for any thoughts or references.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Question on travel and time references
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2016, 10:35 »

Once in space, you can assume travel happens in realtime. If you're going from planet to space and vice versa it can get a little more muddy I think. Depends on the level of access you'd have to local spaceports I imagine.

I tend to handwave it a bit.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2016, 14:38 »

Adjust for plot magic as required ;)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:05 »

space is real time.

transition between space and surface, it's likely to be a period of time to do that. Possibly up to a few hours to transition by space elevator or similar device. There are "dropships" though, that can make a rapid insertion onto a planet, but those are mostly military in origin, so are unlikely to be a comfortable way to travel.

It's why RP events are 'easier' to be on a station, rather than planet, for the sake of people just dropping by, rather than everyone having to gather at a specific time.
\o/

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2016, 21:51 »

I think the time it takes to get from orbit to surface and vice-versa via a shuttle will be similar to the time it takes for space shuttles to do the same thing. Possibly longer due to the load capacity, unless we account for advances in propulsion systems.

Space elevator will likely take a much shorter time to get from orbit to surface and vice versa, but there's likely going to be a wait time. Space elevators are likely to be expensive so they aren't going to just let a bunch of dudes take a leisurely ride up and down. Most likely there's a passenger's compartment and the heavy cargo compartment, and a couple hours of wait time before the elevator moves anyway.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Skyweir Kinnison

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:42 »

Thank you, everyone. Should save me from making too serious a mistake.  :D