Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Author Topic: A Newcomer's Guide to Recent History: The Amarr Empire  (Read 2131 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

Suppose someone was new to the game and didn't really know what the story was with all this nonsense about space-immortals and so on. What would you tell them? Where would you point them as a starting place?

I'm looking to compile a list of articles and factoids essential for getting a good basic start in the world. Since this isn't an entirely hypothetical scenario I'm talking about, let's start with essential details for a new Amarr roleplayer.

Thoughts?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: A Newcomer's Guide to Recent History: The Amarr Empire
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2016, 23:26 »

How recent are we talking?

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2016, 23:37 »

I think pointing them at the wiki hosted here is as good a place to start as any.

What are we? - http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Capsuleer
Amarr starting spot which links out to history and other things - http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Amarr
Scriptures - http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Scriptures
Slavery - http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Slavery

If they want to get up to speed on recent(and historical) news - https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/

I am going to paste the meat of Gaven's Musing on Roleplay from the PIE forums, the section on 'thinking Amarrian' I feel is very important to keep in mind:
Responsibility for IC action, in game or in text:
Your character will be held responsible for their actions, this is true in any part of EVE, but especially true in RP. The most important thing to keep in mind here is that if it exists IC it will have consequences. It is the action of your character and it affects the way other characters interact. This means that it is something all of the people who come across it can and should react to according to the way their characters think.

One of my favorite quotes about Roleplay in EVE, from an old enemy, is that “Roleplay in EVE must have action and consequence.” This is exactly it. For every action in character there will be counter reactions. Some of these will be positive, others will be negative. You are responsible for your characters actions and for your words and need to keep the probable in character responses in mind whenever you act.

This is especially true as regards your actions in an organization such as PIE. We are playing arrogant decorum bound religiously motivated old Amarrians. It is a feature of who we are playing that actions which In character insult other members of the corporation are likely to have IC consequences.
The best way to avoid such conflict between characters is for you to understand the way the Amarrians in the prime fiction work to the highest degree possible. The more you have read, the more you think about the way Amarrians operate in character, the more Amarrian you will act in character.

I call this “thinking Amarrian.” To successfully role-play an Amarrian character, you need to abandon many ideas that the modern world considers normal. Freedom of speech, separation of church and state, and democracy are only a few of the ideas that are on a basic level alien to thinking Amarrian. One problem with as large (and messy) a body of Prime Fiction as EVE has is that it can be difficult to access. The wiki makes this much easier than it used to be, but if in doubt talk to PIE members and other Amarrian RPers in Amarr.OOC about the lore and people will guide you to the right sources.

One of the reasons we will encourage people to develop their characters backstory is that it makes it significantly easier for you as a player to get into the thought processes of a character that has a specific background. Usually I suggest starting vague, pick a social class, age, and rough part of the Empire the character is from and then build more as you go. But I have also seen excellent results from characters that were heavily developed right from the beginning.

Roleplaying in EVE can be a lot of fun and has the potential to make the game feel significantly deeper. Doing things not just because you want to do them, but because your character does, can be a fascinating experience. Similarly, trying to get inside the head of a character that is alien to yourself can be quite fun.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2016, 09:04 »

Samira:

You mean in terms of how long they've been playing? Assume, basically, "just started."

Looking to help a new roleplayer come up to speed with playing a character who's been Amarr all his life.

Mitara:

Lovely! Thank you.

... Let's assume new to Eve, but not new to roleplay as an idea, tho.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2016, 09:28 »

I mean, it's a "Newcomer's Guide to Recent History". How recent are we talking? Since Jamyl died? Since EVE Online started?

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 08 Oct 2016, 11:41 »

imo source is ok as a starting point and it is recent-ish.

With a side note, after YC 117.

Notable Events:

Drifter Attack
Death of Jamil I
Catiz is the new Empress

Notable Characters:

Empress Catiz I (there is no new page sadly)
Arim Ardishapur
Arrach Sarum
Ersilia Kor-Azor
Farokh Khanid
Tunir Tash-Murkon
Hamideh Kador

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2016, 17:09 »

Well, irrespective to history...

Praetorian Temple Library
Amarr References in Chronicles (does not include Sunset, Inheritance, or Testament yet)
Heir Houses Primer
Amarr History (full)
Amarr History (EVE launch until Sansha incursions)
News articles for Amarr Succession Trials
Scope News videos

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2016, 22:24 »

By "recent," I guess what I meant is "stuff that should be firmly embedded in the memory and consciousness of any sapient Amarrian."

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2016, 10:21 »

I'd say the 10k overview of amarr, modern history of Amarr, succession trial links, and a skimming of world news then?

Amarr really does have a lot of resources to draw from, looking over some of this again reminds me I need a refresher :P
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"